+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Wakes up To Serious Alarm Clock Issue

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you accidentally overslept today, you can blame the problem on Apple. And Apple will back you up on it. As it turns out, Apple is being flooded with thousands
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Wakes up To Serious Alarm Clock Issue

If you accidentally overslept today, you can blame the problem on Apple. And Apple will back you up on it.

As it turns out, Apple is being flooded with thousands of complaints from users that their alarm clock feature (on the iPhone 4 and earlier models with software updates) is malfunctioning, particularly with regard to non-recurring alarms. This weekend Apple has not only acknowledged the problem, but promised a automatic alarm fix for the bug beginning tomorrow, January 3, 2011.

We're aware of an issue related to non-repeating alarms set for January 1 or 2. Customers can set recurring alarms for those dates and all alarms will work properly beginning January 3.
    This latest alarm clock glitch is eerily reminiscent of a similar bug that took aim at the alarm clock feature after Daylight Saving Time this past fall. Shortly before that issue, in September folks in Australia and New Zealand also began widely reporting that their iPhone alarms would sound an hour early.

From last fall until today, message boards across the blogosphere have filled with complaints from people whose lives were propelled into turmoil as a result of being late for work, missing flights and other time-sensitive commitments. Thankfully, according to Apple, the snooze button on this bug has been officially whacked and the iPhone alarm clock should function normally beginning Monday morning.

UPI

Green Apple
    Thanks

I woke up an hour late for work a few days back, not too happy.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Seems like some developer that works on the alarm clock will get fired

Thanks

Lucky I don't use the basic Clock app
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone ro0oney's Avatar
    Thanks

I didn't like apple's alarm in iphone from the start! it has ugly ringtones and i don't feel like searching for a better ringtone to wake me up. so i just depend on my sister's mytouch with its sweet tune

Thanks
    For the love of God people...is the iPhone the ONLY means by which you're alerted to awake? ALWAYS have another clock by your bed just in case...sheeeesh!!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DwayneDavis3 For This Useful Post:

iPhoneThereforeIAm (01-03-2011), lightmaster (01-02-2011), one1 (01-02-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone tankz504's Avatar
    Thanks

So.... 4.2.2? Hope not! Just a fix!!!

Thanks

yeah...it got me this morning. I just played with it and the alarm clock works with the snooze off. Oh well...i'll just set a few alarms...lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarge78 For This Useful Post:

unfaced (01-03-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

I never rely on phones to wake me up, especially the iPhone with its weak speaker. I really hope Apple upgrades the loudspeaker on their iDevices.

Thanks

Who uses the bunk native alarm app anyways?

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

It's mean will update FW again......
    good luck jailbreakers.

Thanks

I don't see why people just use a dedicated alarm clock instead of their iDevice. I would never use the alarm clock in my iPhone over my alarm clock I use everyday. My alarm clock never fails me.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using ModMyi
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I learned long before the iPhone came into being.

I have a plug-in alarm, one that runs on batteries, and the iPhone alarm is just a bonus. Although the past few mornings I have wondered why I didn't fumble in the dark, randomly trying to swipe the screen to make the annoyance go away...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneDavis3 View Post
    For the love of God people...is the iPhone the ONLY means by which you're alerted to awake? ALWAYS have another clock by your bed just in case...sheeeesh!!
    i would have to agree, why are u solely depending on your phone as an alarm. this is not a new problem.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Apple can make one of the best phones this world has seen along with superb desktops, laptops, tablets etc, but they cant for the life of them make a (you need to use a better selection of words) alarm clock that can work properly.
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 01-02-2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: bad language used

18. The Following User Says Thank You to piston597 For This Useful Post:

andsoitgoes (01-02-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well, you just never would think that alarm clock software is buggy on phones. Yeah, yeah, use a real alarm clock. But I use the iPhone exclusively because it's way easier to set, adjust, manage, etc than an OG alarm clock. Poo on Apple!

iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneDavis3 View Post
    I don't agree with you... ever since mobile phones (or lets say really old nokias) i've been only using my phone as an alarm! Why would a phone have an alarm feature if it doesn't work?!

Out of your quote you could argue that if the camera feature of the phone doesn't work you always have normal digi cam with you... so why do you have a camera in the phone in the first place?!

Thats why the iPhone is called a SMART-Phone cause its "smart" and does more thing in one device!
    I don't give a damn about Chuck Norris, Spongebob can grill under water!

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to madczech For This Useful Post:

1hihum (01-02-2011), kingbijan (01-02-2011), LanCo Rider (01-02-2011), mortopher (01-02-2011), phluid13 (01-02-2011), shinygerbil (01-02-2011), slap690 (01-02-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Idk if this is what you meant but you can go and make and buy your own ringtones in iTunes! Just google how to make your own ringtones, or there's also apps in the App Store for free that teaches you! If you already knew that I'm sorry... But it's on the new iPod touch and iPhones! Idk which iPhones it's on though!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madczech View Post
    Out of your quote you could argue that if the camera feature of the phone doesn't work you always have normal digi cam with you... so why do you have a camera in the phone in the first place?!
    I'm in full agreement. I have a backup in my room just in case (not this morning because I was house sitting for a friend, and I got screwed too on this bug), but I shouldn't need a backup. This is an iDevice and I expect it to be reliable on functions that have to do with activities of daily living.

I was pretty forgiving the first time this happened at daylight savings time, but I really need to be able to trust my alarm clocks, no matter what they're made out of.

EDIT: And if this holds up a jailbreak, I'm going to run a school bus off the road. You heard me.

EDIT 2: lol, not really.
    Last edited by Lombardo Joe; 01-02-2011 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Fixed quote embeds

Thanks

To those that think it's dumb to use your idevice as an alarm: why shouldn't you be able to rely on a $600 device (that can play sounds at specific times) to simply play a tune to wake you up? I am a deep sleeper and my iPhone(s) have never failed to wake me up. The ol "get an alarm clock" went out the window in the year 2000.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast