+ Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac OS X, iOS at Increased Risk in 2011: Report

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Mes No one really knows if this will be any 'real' issue, but one thing is guaranteed ... Apple (and the rest of the money-grapping corps's) will
    iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    No one really knows if this will be any 'real' issue, but one thing is guaranteed ... Apple (and the rest of the money-grapping corps's) will use any news to justify keeping their iDevices under their total control.
    I agree, as soon as even 1 virus pops up Apple is going to have another update, and another, and another, and another. One great thing about Mac OS X: easy updating

If you're on iOS then it might not be so great for jailbreakers. 1) because you're going to be more vulnerable to attacks anyways 2) if you want to be safer then you'd have to upgrade...meaning jailbreak confusion everywhere ;(

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    One question, where is their proof? They're just randomly saying this
    Agreed here too, you can't predict exactly what malware inventors are going to be doing, that's their own decision.
    Last edited by blueblaze4444; 12-30-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Jobs will get scared and switch to windows phone and win7

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Charlie Miller stated on twitter that while researching on antivirus software for macs recently, he could not fin one source justifying it's need that was not directly linked to an antivirus programming company.

This article is absolutely worthless and the writer should have included rationale thought in it. Seems as though he was just pushing out articles as if to meet a quota today.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Team Infecti0n's Avatar
    Thanks

MAC having no viruses is IMO some B.S. Lol. Really the only OS that can't get viruses is Linux. Security is so tight the virus actually asks you permission to infect your computer lol xD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Team Infecti0n View Post
    MAC having no viruses is IMO some B.S. Lol. Really the only OS that can't get viruses is Linux. Security is so tight the virus actually asks you permission to infect your computer lol xD
    That's the definition of a Trojan, and OSX asks you for permission too, because they are both based on UNIX, unlike Windows where just the mere connection to the internet or plugging in a USB device can infect it.

Thanks

I think Linux is secure from a combo of being open-source and having an even smaller user base than Mac.

Thanks

Look at NSX's post above.

Thanks

I actually wondered why Windows didn't do that! Someone should make a system tweak (if it's really that easy. Again, I'm no expert at coding).

Thanks

As long as you have the best AntiVirus and Internet Security (Kaspersky or ESET) you're fine on windows. Avast and all doesn't cut it. Internet Explorer is a sponge for viruses too...

Thanks

As long as you have the best AntiVirus and Internet Security (Kaspersky or ESET) you're fine on windows. Avast and all doesn't cut it. Internet Explorer is a sponge for viruses too...
    Yup. I use an alternate browser set to remove all Internet files on exit. My anti-virus software (made by a respected professional company) doesn't find anything 95% of it's weekly scans. If it does it's tracking cookies or trojans. Nothing too serious. You'd think most Windows users would get a hang on something when they see all their pop-ups open in IE windows and their scans report all the viruses are in the temporary iNet files. I sure as hell did when I noticed that. I even cut off access to IE in the "Set System Access and Defaults" panel.

Thanks

^^ Proud Google Chrome user here.

Thanks

I just switched two days ago from FireFox. I love it. Let's get back on topic here though lol.

Thanks

Well seeing an iOS attack will be interesting. They'll finally breach UNIX's security if they do IF it even happens at all. If it does there's room for improvement

Thanks

IDK if iOS has that Unix feature though. 'Star' didn't ask permission. There had to be a patch for it to ask permission, remember?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

The security companies just want to get the new OSX user to jump on board their un-needed software at the moment.

As someone stated before that OS9 and below had a good amount of viruses and even smaller user base than OSX. Don't think user base fully drive the virus tragets but it does make it more tempting.

But some ISPs offer antivirus software for free for the mac if you are getting scared. Comcast offers Norton's for free to both Windows and Mac. Also there is ClamX AV that is free for OSX.

Thanks

Hopefully Kaspersky makes it's way to Mac!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Yea Norton's is one bloated beast on OSX. These big name anti-virus companies need to get to work on making their software more effiecent on OSX before trying to scare people. There are some OSX only AV companies that got it down.

Thanks

Norton uses up resources like a B. Kaspersky and ESET Smart Security/Nod32 are actually lightweight AVs and very efficient at the same time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Yea Norton's is one bloated beast on OSX. These big name anti-virus companies need to get to work on making their software more effiecent on OSX before trying to scare people. There are some OSX only AV companies that got it down.
    Yeah, I think people who try to develop for multiple OS's fail miserably most the time. I don't know if you've ever tried, but you can FORGET updating an iDevice on Windows. If you don't get the error that cannot be fixed without a clean install of the OS, you get other minor errors two or three times before it works. Personally it only took me a mere two times to get the unfixable error, and my brother's machine can't even connect to iTunes servers at all. He uses a Nano, so it means no downloads for him. I'm not trying to troll Apple, it just must be really hard to develop for both OS's, especially if you make your own OS.

Thanks

^^ I've updated, restored, and downgraded iPhones, Nanos and Shuffles on Windows with no problems what so ever...