+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 101

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Will New Android Price Tags Drive iPhone Prices Lower?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple may look, sound, and act like the biggest dog on the smartphone block, but Android is a big enough player in the neighborhood that Apple can - and should
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,671
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

    Default Will New Android Price Tags Drive iPhone Prices Lower?



    Apple may look, sound, and act like the biggest dog on the smartphone block, but Android is a big enough player in the neighborhood that Apple can - and should - respond when appropriate to Andriod's business and marketing strategies. On Monday, in fact, the Huffington Post teed-up a big question poised to confront Apple in 2011: exactly how will Cupertino react to Android's apparent "how low can you go" price cutting efforts? It's a hot discussion that was sparked last week by Fortune magazine:
    Tran says that phones made from the BCM2157 chipset will retail for under $100 and may dip as low as $75. Those devices should debut in just 3-6 months (and we might hear about them next month at CES).
    If you stop and consider the magnitude of the price reduction, it's a truly substantial cut given that the enormously popular pre-paid Android devices are now running about $180. A further reduction to bring that price below $100 will not only make Android more attractive in the eyes of prospective customers, it could also prompt Apple to revamp its pricing plans.

    Realistically, the Android slash would most likely affect Apple's low-end strategy, which - until now - has been to serve up the previous year's model at a price point of $99 (with a two year contract, of course). But the total cost of this "package" still drastically outpaces the deal offered by Android. As a result, Apple may have to cook up a new pricing strategy to mitigate the impact of the $100 (or less) Android.

    The Huffington Post

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

    chrisangel13 (12-27-2010)

  3. #2
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    470
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts

    free iphones is the way to go... I'm ok with spending 200 though...

  4. #3
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    they can sell their phones for whatever they want apples still gonna sit there at the same price. they can roll out like 15 new android phones but if they're all **** whats the point of paying even $25 for the phone lol

  5. #4
    My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Patriots Area
    Posts
    796
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 75 Times in 60 Posts

    Apple will less likely drop the price. If your willing to own the Apple device your most likely willing to pay their price just because it's Apple.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to delusion950 For This Useful Post:

    Snozberries (12-28-2010)

  7. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts

    Just look at the price of mac books and the like with the price of most windows laptops and pc's out there from 300 for a good spec machine. As if apple are going to lower prices for the iPhone...

    Funny how they're made for peanuts and sell for the prices they do though.

  8. #6
    Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In Michigan And Florida
    Posts
    6,524
    Thanks
    3,595
    Thanked 999 Times in 563 Posts

    Don't think they will lower their prices but it would be nice if they did!

    "Always remember your special and unique!"

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

    coolguy742 (12-27-2010)

  10. #7
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    Android has to do this because they know that once Verizon gets the iPhone their party is over. They are about to take a beating.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

    GellBrake'rrrr (12-27-2010)

  12. #8
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    403
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 47 Times in 29 Posts

    they don't care about competitor's prices. you can get a Laptop (non Mac) in best buy for 400 bucks, that doesn't stop Apple from selling theirs for over 1000

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Android has to do this because they know that once Verizon gets the iPhone their party is over. They are about to take a beating.
    I don't Think so. There are a lot of us that like Android better. I am with ATT and I sold my iphone, I think its a horrible device (personal opinion) and I like to mod my device big time so Android is the way to go since its open source and I can flash any ROM I want and try different things and improve the performace. you can even play with the modem drivers and GPS settings to increase speed and signal. Try that on an iPhone
    Last edited by dq13; 12-27-2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  13. #9
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    @kingbijan: the android is a legitimate competitor, that was established in the article.

    Quote Originally Posted by purplemonkeyspank View Post
    Just look at the price of mac books and the like with the price of most windows laptops and pc's out there from 300 for a good spec machine. As if apple are going to lower prices for the iPhone...

    Funny how they're made for peanuts and sell for the prices they do though.
    This is possible but not necessarily true. PC to Mac comparisons are only partially legitimate because iPhone has a greater market percentage than Macs in their respective industries. Apple could do the same thing they did with the Mac and keep high prices but this could turn it into an expensive alternative to the android as the Mac is to the PC. But the fact that they already have a cheaper offering with the previous year's model suggests that they're trying to stay competitive with android prices.

  14. #10
    My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    652
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 66 Times in 52 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    they don't care about competitor's prices. you can get a Laptop (non Mac) in best buy for 400 bucks, that doesn't stop Apple from selling theirs for over 1000
    I love it when people use this argument. Set up a PC with similar specs as a Mac and the PC will also cost $1000. Your point is mute.

    As far as cost of new handsets... I think Apple will do nothing at this time. Apple products are not "bargin bin" type products. Prices will only be lowered on old designs as new ones are released.

  15. #11
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    403
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 47 Times in 29 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    I love it when people use this argument. Set up a PC with similar specs as a Mac and the PC will also cost $1000. Your point is mute.
    Not really. A Dell Laptop 15 inch, core i7 6gb RAM, 640gb HDD runs on the 1200, when Apple's is 2200 and has less HDD and less ram

  16. #12
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,265
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    I love it when people use this argument. Set up a PC with similar specs as a Mac and the PC will also cost $1000. Your point is mute.
    haha. It's not "mute"... it's "moot".
    Moot | Define Moot at Dictionary.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

    Snozberries (12-28-2010)

  18. #13
    My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Outter Space
    Posts
    888
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 114 Times in 75 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    Not really. A Dell Laptop 15 inch, core i7 6gb RAM, 640gb HDD runs on the 1200, when Apple's is 2200 and has less HDD and less ram
    The operating system on my MacBook Pro is worth the money alone. I have never had a single fatal error on my Mac, No BSD to worry about like on Windows. I kept my Windows PC pretty top notch too and it still gave me problems. Macs are pretty much Maintenance Free. Ya i still do maintenance on mine but the average user is not going to. It boots up in 30 seconds flat and shuts down in about 2-3 seconds, Gos to sleep and wakes up hella faster than any windows PC. My battery also lasts about 5 hours on my macbook pro which is the Early 2009 model the newer models 13-17 Inches get anywhere from 7-10 hours of runtime. I mean there is a reason why people pay so much for Apple products.
    Last edited by vantheman169; 12-27-2010 at 12:35 PM.

  19. #14
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts

    cmon guys everybody knows the mac is wayyyyyyy overpriced (you can get a similar spec PC for at least 60% less than mac counterpart)

    But reality is we are paying the OS part of our macs i mean you take an alienware i7 with 6gb laptop running windows 7 and you can get the same performance as a lower end macbook (just my 2 cents)

    Snow leopard Rocks!!!!!!!

    but pls dont compare prices mac are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overpriced (i honestly dont undertand how they can get away selling old hardware at such high price)

    want proof just chk your local apple store and try to buy ram memory, new batterys, headphones, cases for iphone or macs, etc. (just take any product then compared with real world prices like newegg or amazon and youll see how much we are over paying

    the psycology behind i that as humans we like to overpay it makes you feel you are buying more quality, or you belong to a select group, etc. (it most cases you are) even if its the same products (just go to a "high class" restaurant and youll pay 10dls for a budwaiser, or any other product you can buy for wayyyy less.

    again just my 2 cents and sry for the long post

    jaas
    Last edited by jaas75; 12-27-2010 at 12:46 PM.

  20. #15
    Mes
    Mes is offline
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,025
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 788 Times in 731 Posts

    It depends upon Apples long term strategy. Not everyone is willing to pay a 'premium' for a product. As the higher-end consumers (defined as: people willing to pay more) becomes more saturated, unit sales growth will slow. If Apple wishes to continue their spectacular double-digit growth they must provide a product that meets the mid-level consumers' price-point. Only Apple knows their market segment strategy.

    I'm not talking about the bargain-basement consumers -- although within this group lots of good money can also be made if the product is priced correctly. Hence the iPhone Mini product speculation especially for the thrifty-spenders.

    Did anyone notice their 35%+ profit margin last quarter and expectations of further decreases? This was significant news to me! It's down from Apple historical +50% rate just a few years ago. While this margin is more typical of a hardware based company as opposed to software (Microsoft, Oracle, etc), it also indicates Apples willingness to compete on price far more than in years past.

  21. #16
    iPhone? More like MyPhone shigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    265
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 35 Times in 24 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    haha. It's not "mute"... it's "moot".
    Moot | Define Moot at Dictionary.com
    nice. lol. your point cant talk.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to shigh For This Useful Post:

    Poseidon79 (12-27-2010)

  23. #17
    Go Wings Zokunei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,399
    Thanks
    153
    Thanked 469 Times in 381 Posts

    T-Mobile had surprising deals before Christmas. The cheapo ones were free on contract. But the one that actually had slightly better specs than the iPhone 4 was still $200 on-contract. I don't see how them lowering the prices of crappy phones is any reason for Apple to lower prices. Not to mention Apple's seemingly arrogant view of their software.
    "[OS X is] the most advanced operating system." and "[iOS is] the most advanced mobile operating system."
    -Apple

    If a shiny case and good OS is a reason for Macs to be like $800 more expensive than a PC, then I don't see how it's different to them with the iPhone.

  24. #18
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,318
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

    Bunch of windows people in this thread it seems. Apple does not price match, does not price adjust for market, and does not feel any need to even acknowledge there are competitors. If you don't know that by now, you don't know jack about Apple. They will sell it at whatever they want and you'll buy it if you ever even thought about doing so.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

  25. #19
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,233
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 141 Times in 121 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    they don't care about competitor's prices. you can get a Laptop (non Mac) in best buy for 400 bucks, that doesn't stop Apple from selling theirs for over 1000



    I don't Think so. There are a lot of us that like Android better. I am with ATT and I sold my iphone, I think its a horrible device (personal opinion) and I like to mod my device big time so Android is the way to go since its open source and I can flash any ROM I want and try different things and improve the performace. you can even play with the modem drivers and GPS settings to increase speed and signal. Try that on an iPhone
    Sweet, you should go be with your Android phone then lol...I don't care what anyone says, I've used both Android and iOS and iOS beats out any Android phone any day of the week! So whether Apple decides to lower their prices or not I'll always pay more money for an iDevice! Android can lower their prices as much as they want but they still won't beat out the iPhone

  26. #20
    Go Wings Zokunei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,399
    Thanks
    153
    Thanked 469 Times in 381 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Bunch of windows people in this thread it seems.
    You mean the overwhelming majority of the population? What did you expect?

+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts