+ Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 101

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Will New Android Price Tags Drive iPhone Prices Lower?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I dunno I kind of miss my droid phone I went back to the iPhone 4 and I'm kind of disappointed but both operating systems lack certain things so theirs
...
  1. #21
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I dunno I kind of miss my droid phone I went back to the iPhone 4 and I'm kind of disappointed but both operating systems lack certain things so theirs never going to be a perfect platform. Mark my words though once android finally gets Netflix and a Nike running app I'll get an htc phone cause that sense ui is sexy.

  2. #22
    iPhone? More like MyPhone iSteed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by gotjpeg View Post
    get an htc phone cause that sense ui is sexy.
    Huh?!

  3. #23
    Livin the iPhone Life bigboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    1,558
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 176 Times in 126 Posts

    The term "you get what you pay for" crosses my mind. You pay up front with Apple and back door with most others. Example: you buy a PC, you buy anti-virus protection. You buy a Mac....get it...haha! It's obviously not that simple but it is a simple enough example that is TRUE. Price drop? Not likely! $200 for the best cell phone on the market is not bad(although updating it every year is getting to be a little much) considering the Android is just starting to offer a UI that I actually like :] Time will tell!

  4. #24
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    they don't care about competitor's prices. you can get a Laptop (non Mac) in best buy for 400 bucks, that doesn't stop Apple from selling theirs for over 1000



    I don't Think so. There are a lot of us that like Android better. I am with ATT and I sold my iphone, I think its a horrible device (personal opinion) and I like to mod my device big time so Android is the way to go since its open source and I can flash any ROM I want and try different things and improve the performace. you can even play with the modem drivers and GPS settings to increase speed and signal. Try that on an iPhone
    I think Android is great, but saying iPhone is a "horrible device" is a bit extreme. That being said (I always ask this to Android fans)...

    If Android is open... why do you need to root?

    The truth of the matter is that Android is really more friendly to carriers and manufacturers. Personally, I'd rather deal with a single dictator (Apple) rather than the dictators of Manufacturers and Carriers who normally have no care with the consumers in general.

    My opinion of course.

    Still, I do have an Android device (Galaxy), and enjoy it... but I still find the user experience no where near as solid as iOS, but to each their own.

    w00master

  5. #25
    iPhoneaholic jdm.accord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    410
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 57 Times in 46 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Android has to do this because they know that once Verizon gets the iPhone their party is over. They are about to take a beating.
    This times eleventy billion. Android is going to get crushed. They'll still have t-mo and sprint but they'll be the new version of webOS in less than a year. All you Android fanboiz spouting on about "open" blah blah blah can say otherwise but any sane person can see its inevitable. Android is a nice OS and I think its the "best of the rest" but it is too fragmented (unless you own the Nexus device, One or now the S) and is always paired with inferior hardware.

    The iPhone has been out for 6+ months now but none of the Android manufacturers (moto, sammy, etc) can't get within shouting distance of its screen resolution or build quality. I'm holding a Nexus S right now and its a cool phone but it looks bulky and cheap compared to my iP4 that's on my desk.

    I don't think Android will die with the coming of the Verizon iPhone; its got too many devices running it. But it certainly will be relegated to a distant 2nd place at best. Microsoft is dumping a lot of money in WP7 too so don't think second place is a cakewalk either.

  6. #26
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,233
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 141 Times in 121 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Android has to do this because they know that once Verizon gets the iPhone their party is over. They are about to take a beating.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

  7. #27
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I'll have to disagree with u. I currently own 3 ipads in my house 6 iPhones 4 iPod touch 1samsung galaxy tab 1 Lg optimus n the only reason I got the tab was bcuz of flash but even that doesn't work half the time. I realized it's useless n more than half the websites r already HTML adapted for iOS. As for being open ehh not really majority of android honestly know that it ain't user friendly at all it's so retarded. Price $670 for the tab at AT&T. Can't even tether it wit anything without doing a lot to it n I gave up on it. It's collecting dust. Once again *** n retarded. I will never take a android device, not even for free.

  8. #28
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    403
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 47 Times in 29 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    The operating system on my MacBook Pro is worth the money alone. I have never had a single fatal error on my Mac, No BSD to worry about like on Windows. I kept my Windows PC pretty top notch too and it still gave me problems. Macs are pretty much Maintenance Free. Ya i still do maintenance on mine but the average user is not going to. It boots up in 30 seconds flat and shuts down in about 2-3 seconds, Gos to sleep and wakes up hella faster than any windows PC. My battery also lasts about 5 hours on my macbook pro which is the Early 2009 model the newer models 13-17 Inches get anywhere from 7-10 hours of runtime. I mean there is a reason why people pay so much for Apple products.
    that is my point, that no matter if the competitor's price is half, Apple will not lower the price, and we pay regardless because of what you say. I have a MBP myself and planning to upgrade to the 15" i5

  9. #29
    Green Apple chrodriguezmarydown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Pc people you are not getting the point! Yes you can get a pc with better specs then a Mac for cheaper but it means nothing because of your operating system! Mac is ALOT smoother then a pc. (correct me if I'm wrong) Mac uses an open GL platform which runs stuff faster (games, movies, etc) with less ram and a "crapper" graphics card.

    To simplify it as much as I can:

    Pc is like a big gas eater. Needs more ram and etc spec

    While Mac is an energy efficiant machine that goes just as fast and or possibly faster with less the "gas"/specs.

  10. #30
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iSteed View Post
    Huh?!

    Did I loose you brahhhh?

  11. #31
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 29 Times in 13 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    I love it when people use this argument. Set up a PC with similar specs as a Mac and the PC will also cost $1000. Your point is mute.
    This is a bold face lie. I have built and bought PCs that are $100s less than a Mac.

    Quote Originally Posted by chrodriguezmarydown View Post
    Pc people you are not getting the point! Yes you can get a pc with better specs then a Mac for cheaper but it means nothing because of your operating system! Mac is ALOT smoother then a pc. (correct me if I'm wrong) Mac uses an open GL platform which runs stuff faster (games, movies, etc) with less ram and a "crapper" graphics card.

    To simplify it as much as I can:

    Pc is like a big gas eater. Needs more ram and etc spec

    While Mac is an energy efficiant machine that goes just as fast and or possibly faster with less the "gas"/specs.
    All of this may be true but MACs and PCs cater to 2 different crowds. I personally will never buy a MAC because it doesn't serve any purpose in my household or life. For example, I can't setup a MAC as a HTPC because a lot of codecs and audio/video trans-coding programs aren't MAC compatible. You can't switch or upgrade most MAC parts such as the CPU, GPU, NICs, etc... You have to buy a whole new MAC. Bottom line, MACs aren't for everyone - regardless of the price point - no matter how "wonderful" everybody on this forum tries to make them seem.
    Last edited by saunupe1911; 12-27-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  12. #32
    iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    239
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 43 Times in 33 Posts

    Of course apple responds to market pressure. There's a reason you're not still paying $5k for a Mac or $400 for an iPod, and it's not because people blindly pay whatever apple wants.

    The computer hardware industry has been on a perpetual downward spiral in profitability towards zero for decades now. Apple has tried to distance themselves from it as much as possible by trying to appeal as a "luxury" brand, but they're far from immune.
    The mobile (sub-laptop) industry has been great for them too because it's not yet saturated at the smart-OS level they compete at like the PC industry. The subsidy nature of phones in the US also helps them hide the actual cost of the device compared to the service.

    Will we see a sub-$200 new generation iPhone this year? I don't know. But we will eventually. The history of the PC industry and apple's push into the content industry has taught Steve Jobs that control of the sales channel is VITAL, and eventually I believe he'd be happy to give the hardware away for free if it brings and keeps people in his apple ecosystem.

    The world is changing. It's interesting watching those who recognize how it's changing maneuver themselves into positions to succeed 5-10 years from now, while still faring well today.

  13. #33
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,265
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    In my opinion PC's are cheap and disposable. You buy a PC laptop for $600 and it's plastic and the hinge wears out and the thing gets dirty and the OS slows down and after 2 years throw it away you go buy a new one. With a Mac you use the thing for 2 years, throw on the new OS and sell it for 50% of what you paid for it! PC's do not hold any sort of value whatsoever. You end up paying more up front for a Mac but you can sell it on eBay or Craiglist and then pay just the difference ($500-$700) for your NEW top of the line macbook pro.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

    steve-z17 (12-27-2010)

  15. #34
    Go Giants whereswaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,382
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked 359 Times in 257 Posts

    If they want to sell phones for $75 they can, just remember that they'd need to sell 2-3x the amount of iPhones to pull a earnings as big as Apples
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

  16. #35
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    403
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 47 Times in 29 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    In my opinion PC's are cheap and disposable. You buy a PC laptop for $600 and it's plastic and the hinge wears out and the thing gets dirty and the OS slows down and after 2 years throw it away you go buy a new one. With a Mac you use the thing for 2 years, throw on the new OS and sell it for 50% of what you paid for it! PC's do not hold any sort of value whatsoever. You end up paying more up front for a Mac but you can sell it on eBay or Craiglist and then pay just the difference ($500-$700) for your NEW top of the line macbook pro.
    Or... take it to South America (Like I do) and sell your 1 year old laptop for the same price as the new one cost here, so you upgrade for free

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to dq13 For This Useful Post:

    Poseidon79 (12-27-2010)

  18. #36
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Doran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 41 Times in 14 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    Will New Android Price Tags Drive iPhone Prices Lower?
    No.

  19. #37
    Super Moderator Cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Owasso,OK
    Posts
    30,669
    Thanks
    1,049
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

    I doubt it like people been saying on here pc to mac. Apple has amazing problems they dont need to drop prices to make sells there are millions of iphones sold across the world at the 199-299 price already why would they need to drop it anymore when people are willing to pay that much for there products anyways.
    I myself bought the iphone at full retail on release day 599 and i plan to do the same again on the next one.
    Call me a fanboy or what ever but in my opinion no one can bet out apple products.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

    Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

    Rob2G (12-27-2010)

  21. #38
    Go Wings Zokunei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,403
    Thanks
    154
    Thanked 469 Times in 381 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    In my opinion PC's are cheap and disposable. You buy a PC laptop for $600 and it's plastic and the hinge wears out and the thing gets dirty and the OS slows down and after 2 years throw it away you go buy a new one. With a Mac you use the thing for 2 years, throw on the new OS and sell it for 50% of what you paid for it! PC's do not hold any sort of value whatsoever. You end up paying more up front for a Mac but you can sell it on eBay or Craiglist and then pay just the difference ($500-$700) for your NEW top of the line macbook pro.
    Hmm, good point!
    Last edited by Zokunei; 12-27-2010 at 08:04 PM.

  22. #39
    What's Jailbreak? kingosama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Android may lower prices in an attempt to increase their market share but that will not increase their revenue. What if they fail to increase their share?
    I don't think Apple would go in that direction, demand on their products is increasing and they don't want to play that game, it would be stupid from my point of view.

  23. #40
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    604
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 145 Times in 75 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
    All of this may be true but MACs and PCs cater to 2 different crowds. I personally will never buy a MAC because it doesn't serve any purpose in my household or life. For example, I can't setup a MAC as a HTPC because a lot of codecs and audio/video trans-coding programs aren't MAC compatible. You can't switch or upgrade most MAC parts such as the CPU, GPU, NICs, etc... You have to buy a whole new MAC. Bottom line, MACs aren't for everyone - regardless of the price point - no matter how "wonderful" everybody on this forum tries to make them seem.
    I have a Mac mini as a htpc and it plays and transcodes every video format out there. You must not have done your research. Macs are media monsters. Mine plays mkv avi mov mpg mp4 mp3 flac aiff wmv wma acc vob dv divx real media. As for upgrading parts I have upgraded almost everything you mentioned in my Mac pro except for CPUs. Two 2.66GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Westmere processors why would I need to upgrade that anytime soon? Next time you talk about macs make sure you know what your talking about.
    Last edited by Rob2G; 12-27-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts