+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What Does Skype Know About the Verizon iPhone That We Don't?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
On Friday, word broke of Skype's alleged plan to introduce video chat capabilities for Skype Mobile on iOS. Proof of the looming update came from a "leaked document" on Skype’s
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default What Does Skype Know About the Verizon iPhone That We Don't?

On Friday, word broke of Skype's alleged plan to introduce video chat capabilities for Skype Mobile on iOS. Proof of the looming update came from a "leaked document" on Skype’s official website - a doc titled “How do I make video calls with Skype for iPhone?” Then, later on Friday, following numerous published reports of the above, Skype pulled the document.

Christmas morning, however, brought with it the discovery of the document's return. And thrown into the mix is a Verizon logo placed squarely beside the Skype logo above the aforementioned text (it was also spotted there yesterday before the doc was yanked). This peculiar situation is leading many to speculate that the folks at Skype know something that we don't.

Since Skype is widely expected to unveil a new iPad only version of their software at next month's CES, some feel that the Verizon logo placement is simply a confusing "misplacement" of sorts, given that Skype will likely debut its video chat app for multiple carriers in January including Verizon. Or are the conspiracy theorists finally right this time? Does Skype know that Verizon is getting the iPhone in January 2011, as widely rumored and reported?

No matter how you slice it, it's fascinating food for thought and a curious situation for Skype that is generating no shortage of buzz this holiday weekend.

Last edited by Michael Essany; 12-25-2010 at 11:45 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone alpawa's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't think so... Wishfull thinking...

Thanks

My bet is that Steve and Verizon were discussing the iPhone coming to Verizon on Skype, and the people at skyped hacked in and listened
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    My bet is that Steve and Verizon were discussing the iPhone coming to Verizon on Skype, and the people at skyped hacked in and listened
    You have far passed a wild imagination my friend.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'm sure some jailbreak or tweak will make it so that Skype Video chat wont know the difference if we are on Verizon or AT&T or Tmobile, giving everyone a video chat feature on Skype.

Green Apple
    Thanks

if they incorporate skype and facetime that would be so sick

Thanks

I posted this on the first skype thread....with a screen cap.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

I still don't understand why, if true, Apple would release the iPhone to Verizon during January. iPhone always had a release time frame during June/july. So why would they release it early then release it again for AT&T? All of this Verizon business is probably not even true and if it is it's probably during the summer so that it would be a unified release.

Just my 2 cents for thought....

Thanks

ok so how does this have anything to do with a so called verizon iPhone?
    Maybe Skype is just updating there app to work with all other devices that use a face chat feature that way you can connect with any one on any network hassle free.

Thanks

Im so tired of rumors..
    If verizon is getting the iPhone we will know..
    If not, complaining and whining won't change anything..

**Side note...slooowww news day

Thanks

For gods sake people, verizon will NOT get the iPhone. Verizon has its head too far up googles *** to sign a deal with a company like apple. Further, apple won't want the competition of high end android phones on verizon.

Just because you see verizon, Skype, and iPhone on the same page doesn't mean a verizon iPhone will exist.

Thanks

Lol, I thought that z3r01 just edited in that logo as a joke yesterday.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Li-ion View Post
    For gods sake people, verizon will NOT get the iPhone. Verizon has its head too far up googles *** to sign a deal with a company like apple. Further, apple won't want the competition of high end android phones on verizon.

Just because you see verizon, Skype, and iPhone on the same page doesn't mean a verizon iPhone will exist.
    Right on!
    So many conspiracies...so little time!

The 20th Member
    Thanks

I guess it was too much to wish for certain "writers" to stop their verizon iPhone fetishes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol

Thanks

Skype has certain agreements with verizon

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ever think Skype did it for publicity considering the intense following the iPhone, Verizon, and video chat have?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Li-ion View Post

There is deftinently a high chance of Verizon getting the iPhone. You argue that Apple wouldn't want the competing Android? What about high end =Android phones on AT&T such as the Samsung Captivate, or what about all the new Windows phone 7 phones on AT&T. They are obviously not to worried about competition.

Thanks
    Honestly who really cares! not I. we can speculate all we want, but in the end we know nothing and all we have is speculations. Only time will tell. until then say um.. okay and move on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post

On Friday, word broke of Skype's alleged plan to introduce video chat capabilities for Skype Mobile on iOS. Proof of the looming update came from a "leaked document" on Skype’s official website - a doc titled “How do I make video calls with Skype for iPhone?” Then, later on Friday, following numerous published reports of the above, Skype pulled the document.

Christmas morning, however, brought with it the discovery of the document's return. And thrown into the mix is a Verizon logo placed squarely beside the Skype logo above the aforementioned text (it was also spotted there yesterday before the doc was yanked). This peculiar situation is leading many to speculate that the folks at Skype know something that we don't.

Since Skype is widely expected to unveil a new iPad only version of their software at next month's CES, some feel that the Verizon logo placement is simply a confusing "misplacement" of sorts, given that Skype will likely debut its video chat app for multiple carriers in January including Verizon. Or are the conspiracy theorists finally right this time? Does Skype know that Verizon is getting the iPhone in January 2011, as widely rumored and reported?

No matter how you slice it, it's fascinating food for thought and a curious situation for Skype that is generating no shortage of buzz this holiday weekend.

This isn't a surprise to me and many others. Most people expected the skype app to have video call when they got their iPhone 4 and many people have sent requests to apple and skype about this. I don't know why they would want to keep this a secret. They are clueless to what people want.

Thanks

^wait. Why do you have to quote the whole article?