Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AP: Apple Working with Cherokee Tribe to Preserve Language on iDevices

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default AP: Apple Working with Cherokee Tribe to Preserve Language on iDevices

Apple is working with a Native American tribe to not only help preserve the Cherokee language, but also to advance the language across the iDevice line-up. According to the Associated Press, Apple is both receptive to and supportive of the Cherokee people who want the iPhone, iPod, and iPad to be used as platforms for preserving and perpetuating their language, particularly among younger users of iDevices.

Cherokee Chief Chad Smith says the goal is to "spread the use of the language among tech-savvy children in the digital age." Smith, who is no stranger to texting students at one school using Cherokee, says the practice is also shared by many teachers. With Apple's help, students could "continue using the language after school hours."

Tribal officials first contacted Apple about getting Cherokee on the iPhone three years ago. It seemed like a long shot, as the devices support only 50 of the thousands of languages worldwide, and none were American Indian tongues. But Apple's reputation for innovation gave the tribe hope. After many discussions and a visit from Smith, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company surprised the tribe by coming through this fall.
    Understandably, the Cherokee take great pride in their past, especially their established culture, teachings, and alphabet - or syllabary - Sequoyah, which was developed in 1821. According to the AP report, Cherokee is - so far - the only American Indian language supported by Apple devices.

AP

and the pic of the year goes to.......

iPhone? More like MyPhone xerray's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope apple does the same with Choctaw
    It Takes One To Know One

As much as I support the natives, this just seems like stupid news
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

I'm shocked the tribe thinks its members can afford iphones as a way of preserving their culture. Surely there are cheaper methods available?
    Hmm...

These languages get stored on the phone correct? If it does then it's a waste of space... the only language I need on my phone is English... not trying to bash another language but really one should be able to choose which language goes on our phones so we can have more space in the end...

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    These languages get stored on the phone correct? If it does then it's a waste of space... the only language I need on my phone is English... not trying to bash another language but really one should be able to choose which language goes on our phones so we can have more space in the
    end...
    U could always delete language packs if u jailbreak.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm the last of the Mochicians, so this actually makes sense

Native American language is dead now. Get with the times, let's live the modern age and keep it only to modern languages. Or should we resurrect old things like Sanskrit and stuff too?
    Last edited by alexxxps; 12-24-2010 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Replaced Indian with Native American. Needed to be politically correct.

Quote Originally Posted by alexxxps View Post
    Indian language is dead now. Get with the times, let's live the modern age and keep it only to modern languages. Or should we resurrect old things like Sanskrit and stuff too?
    Oh my..American Indian languages are in no way related to Indian languages..

Blame Christopher Columbus for the confusion though!

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

Blame Christopher Columbus for the confusion though!
    lol word. sailed to india? cmon columbus. you didnt find no quicker route for **** (s-word). *****(b-word).
    "foreign corporations > swedish law"

I agree that this is a little bit on the side of being stupid news

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

I respect the idea of this. Wether it happens in actuallatity, remains to be seen.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrodriguezmarydown View Post
    I agree that this is a little bit on the side of being stupid news
    Why? Because it doesn't benefit you?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Green Apple
    Thanks

Don't hate on us natives! I dont know any of the language but how would you like for us to delete English from the phone

I think this is rather cool, and fully support it. It could help promote some self-worth, and pride in their culture.

It could also help them become more familiar with technology.

To the person who said they can't afford iPhones: that's incredibly racist and ignorant. Native Americans have jobs too, and they are required to learn the same things we do in school. A lot of them have rather well paying jobs too.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw05 View Post
    Don't hate on us natives! I dont know any of the language but how would you like for us to delete English from the phone
    I don't think anyone wants to hate you natives, I thinks it's cool that there trying to help them out but it only takes two to three generations of a family till that person has nothing of their culture in them. I would assume anyone with an iPhone might be trying to keep with the times therefore reading on it in a language that is not the majority would not be a priority to them.
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i am a Cherokee by blood on my maternal side, and i approve of this

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zamansimba View Post
    i am a Cherokee by blood on my maternal side, and i approve of this
    Whew, we were waiting for that