+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Sony PSP to Borrow Ideas from iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default New Sony PSP to Borrow Ideas from iPhone

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, the folks at Apple may receive a genuine compliment from Sony. According to an interesting new report in the New York Times, it sounds as though Sony's next generation PlayStation Portable handheld gaming device will "borrow" some of the winning attributes of Apple's smartphone/mobile-gaming-system known as the iPhone.

Sony executive Kazuo Hirai says that the forthcoming PSP update will likely include touch-based controls and other technologies that will effectively infuse some of the iPhone's characteristics into Sony's next portable gaming system refresh. Hirai, however, still recognizes that the Sony PSP player differs in gaming and control preferences from a casual iPhone gamer. “The games being played on Android and Apple platforms are fundamentally different from the world of immersive games that Sony Computer Entertainment, and PlayStation, aims for,” Hirai admitted.

Still, while the games played on each platform may be apples and oranges, Sony can't help but perceive Apple's iPhone/iPod touch to be a mega-competitor in the mobile gaming space. As a result, Sony is making no secret of its plan to capitalize on Apple's proven formula. “Depending on the game, there are ones where you can play perfectly well with a touch panel,” Hirai said. “But you can definitely play immersive games better with physical buttons and pads. I think there could be games where you’re able to use both in combination.”

New York Times

Thanks

Knowing Apple, some lawsuits will be filed if that is implemented...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 2,187 Posts

^^^^^
    Just a matter of time lol
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

iPhone? More like MyPhone DisneyRicky's Avatar
    Thanks

PSP...

Play Station Phone?
    My Devices:

iPod Touch 4g 4.1 - Jailbroken
    iPad 4.2.1 - Jailbroken

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Psp should just die. And just focus on ps3.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

blah blah blah - the iPhone killed the PSP - hows that for casual? There are plenty of games that are "PSP quality" on the Apple and Android AppStores.

Thanks

I fail to notice where in that article it states that they are taking ideas from the iPhone. Considering it is a Sony Ericsson phone running Android. I could understand that they are looking at the competition of smartphones as gaming platforms but your article makes it sound like it will be a Sony Ericsson phone running iOS (more or less).

And the device is called the Sony Ericsson Zeus.
    Last edited by tremerone; 12-23-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks

i will go on record now as saying this. i have always felt the psp would do horribly as a cellular phone. a psp is expensive. as is a cellphone. to have a psp+cellphone would easily be a small fortune. the iphone does great as a game system because it has and always will be a cellphone first. and then there is always a reliable diverse library of software to run on it. games happened to be in that extensive lineup. the psp has an ever failing selection of software titles. even more limited if you purchase their newer pspGO unit, which does not receive even a fraction of the titles that the older umd reliant brother gets. i would like to see how this is played out in terms of marketing/campaigning because if sony doesnt overcome the 'ngage complex' and make a worth while subsidized vs unsubsidized pricing it will suffer the same fate.

*sad proud owner of ngage 1st/2nd gen and a pspGO

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    blah blah blah - the iPhone killed the PSP - hows that for casual? There are plenty of games that are "PSP quality" on the Apple and Android AppStores.
    i dont see monster huner or ff7 on the app store. -_- or any of the best sellers. with gaming my ipod touch 4g will never replace my psp and/or ds. unless the games are ported and fully playable then it might replace both.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MuseFan288 For This Useful Post:

flippy (12-25-2010), SirTimothy1 (12-23-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Queue the lawyers, Steve.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    Games on iPhone is a joke, yes they sell lots of it because they are cheap and can play to pass the time. But if I really want portable gaming iPhone stays in my pocket and I would pull out a PSP. The reason why I hate games on iPhone is because of the damn touch control sucks, rather have real buttons for gaming.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

iPhone has games that are fun for 5 minutes at a time, PSP has games with better story lines.

You really do need buttons to play a game properly. PSP is dead until PSP2 comes out anyway.

OT:I wish Apple would make a home gaming system, it would sell really good, I think Apple should come in with a gaming console to compete with the PS4 and the 3rd Xbox next generation, is the perfect time with the success they have.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MetallicaFan1991 For This Useful Post:

elfboyz (12-24-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^I wouldn't want Apple to come out with home video game system, can't even do iTV right why would video game system work.
    You would have similar type of gaming as iPhone, also Apple's reluctance to go blueray on computers already means everything needs to be downloaded to hard drive... Don't have drive space? too bad! buy an over priced Apple external drive to expand your drive space or delete the games you bought! Yeah that would be an overpriced gaming system.

Thanks

"borrow"? Seems more like "steal then get sued"
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Touch sensor on devices is not new, Apple did not invent it nor were they first to use it.
    If Apple can sue for this then Sony can also sue Apple for using accelerometer, I recall Sony used Accelerometer on controllers before Apple.

Thanks

I sense a lawsuit.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using ModMyi
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Typical Sony, always "borrow"ing ideas from others.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

PSP was a good idea, but Sony just crashed and burned it... I mean who the hell wants 500 UMD'S?? The new PSP Go sucks too, they got a great idea, but execute it so poorly...

The 20th Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tom3k View Post
    to have a psp+cellphone would easily be a small fortune. the iphone does great as a game system because it has and always will be a cellphone first.

Its only a cellphone first if you hold it "the right way." last I checked there wasn't a way to hold the latest psp to make it stop doing it primary function.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Borrow??? So are they going to return it?