+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Sony PSP to Borrow Ideas from iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by lilrican21 Psp should just die. And just focus on ps3. Fail. iPhone gaming is what it is because it was DESIGNED to emulate the qualities of successful
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lilrican21 View Post
    Psp should just die. And just focus on ps3.
    Fail.

iPhone gaming is what it is because it was DESIGNED to emulate the qualities of successful handhelds like the PSP.

Give credit where credit is due.

[nitpick]PSP isnt a company, either.[/nitpick]

@Piston597 - You have to think of the handheld ecosystem of the day when the first PSP came out. Flash drive were strill prohibitively expensive, discs were the only realistic option. When the Go came out, it was a logical evolution to ditch the UMD drives. The problem was that there was no way for people to get their purchased games from a disc format to one that would work on the Go.

Then add the bad "nerd" press it got for not being able to hack/homebrew (read ISO piracy) and it was doomed.
    Last edited by cpkirkley; 12-23-2010 at 06:20 PM.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

h2a
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gyngabread Man View Post
    Its only a cellphone first if you hold it "the right way." last I checked there wasn't a way to hold the latest psp to make it stop doing it primary function.
    really? we're still on that? i think the fact that Apple STILL can't make enough iPhone 4 to meet its demand is proof enough that you're pretty much trolling right now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to h2a For This Useful Post:

Rob2G (12-23-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah a lot of companies seem to be doing that now...

iPhone? More like MyPhone andrewb283's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Games on iPhone is a joke, yes they sell lots of it because they are cheap and can play to pass the time. But if I really want portable gaming iPhone stays in my pocket and I would pull out a PSP. The reason why I hate games on iPhone is because of the damn touch control sucks, rather have real buttons for gaming.
    Thank you, I feel the exactly same way. Touch controls just can't compete with physical buttons when it comes to more hardcore gaming.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

GOOD. Sony is ALMOST impossible to crack their OS, Apple is comparatively easy . If they implement the APPLE stuff we'll be in it quicker than a cheap hooker.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

This is going to suck. A lot of the iPhone games would be a lot better with an actual controller. Touch screen controllers aren't as good in my opinion. Anybody agree?

Thanks

I don't know anyone that is "immersed" in the handheld market. I guess my son playing with my old DS Light for 15-20 minutes, does not lead me to qualify the term. I bought, used and generally liked the 1st PSP. That was before the iPhone and new/better iOS game apps. Time will tell if Sony can survive in the handheld market. Isn't there a rumor Apple may but Sony? hahahaha...gotta love the rumors :]

Thanks

If people are going back in time to sue who's copying who, you all should know that Japan had phones with touch screen features way before iphone came out. I am from Japan, and I owned one with touch screen features including one that let me handwrite on it 15-20 years ago. Should they sue apple for that?

Apple makes me sick. Their marketting has been so unfair, and their strategies are so greedy and dirty. Sure, we can say they are smart in that they know how to "work systems and people," but is this really the direction we want our civilization to walk toward?

P.S. Just to respond to that handheld game question, I agree that touch screen isn't all that great for many games. I personally like games that require precision and skills than simple games, which most iphone games are. So, it really doesn't do it for me. I hardly play games on iphone.
    Last edited by GoldenTequila; 12-23-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    This is going to suck. A lot of the iPhone games would be a lot better with an actual controller. Touch screen controllers aren't as good in my opinion. Anybody agree?
    Agreed. Nothing beats an actual controller, touch screen can be difficult at times.

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

I see how there is concern for the console makers. It would be different if the psp could purchase games from within it's own console. More or less be anywhere from $1. - $7.

And if they already can..... That shows you how long I've been out of the console /game/, and being from that factor alone is why I am gaming only on my iDevices.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GellBrake'rrrr View Post
    I see how there is concern for the console makers. It would be different if the psp could purchase games from within it's own console. More or less be anywhere from $1. - $7.

And if they already can..... That shows you how long I've been out of the console /game/, and being from that factor alone is why I am gaming only on my iDevices.
    PSP:GO can, and has to, buy games directly from the device... You just can't copy all your old UMD games from PSPs over, nor can you get a free digital copy. Sony used a reverse Apple tactic, buy a new device and you'll have to buy new software.

As long as Sony doesn't go the way of the DS, with extremely annoying "combo controls," I'm all for it. Until then, I'm sticking with my PSP.

I agree with many posters, buttons > touch for serious games.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    blah blah blah - the iPhone killed the PSP - hows that for casual? There are plenty of games that are "PSP quality" on the Apple and Android AppStores.
    It really depends on how you look at it...some may have psp graphics or even better but then those games won't contain the gameplay that your typical psp game will have.
    Some are close but the games on both consoles are generally just different.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok I am both a iPhone and PSP lover. PSP 1001 models are amazing systems and are still handy for multipurpose use. The 3000 models are able to be modded just not with a pandora battery. The PSP can't not die and that's a fact. The iPhone/iPod/iPad do suck in gaming areas and yes ISO formats are faster than the PSP's UMD's but it's not like rocket science when it comes to putting and playing ISO files on a PSP.
    GrimHacks: 5.00 m33-6 user on PSP 1001.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Team Infecti0n's Avatar
    Thanks

I came from the PSP hacking community, and let me tell you it was a fun ride. The community is slowly dying and less homebrew is being developed for XMB. XMB is pretty much in the hands of Sony. Sucks when I left the XMB hacking community to come to the iOS Jailbreak community, it died. Maybe I'll make a comeback and multitask. Poor PSP kids need it man.
    --------------------------------------Please Donate To Our Team!: http://bit.ly/qjnWXQ-------------------------------
    FILLERFILLERFILLERFILLERFILLERHUGEA
    --------------------------------------Please Donate To Our Team!: http://bit.ly/qjnWXQ-------------------------------

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

hopefully Sony borrows "how to build a product people want and will buy lots of so lots of revenue is generated" from Apple...
    Last edited by alexevo; 12-25-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default iPhone is not casual... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    blah blah blah - the iPhone killed the PSP - hows that for casual? There are plenty of games that are "PSP quality" on the Apple and Android AppStores.
    Lol, that's funny. Piracy killed the PSP, not the iPhone. Developers stopped making games because people could so easily bypass any copy protection put in place by Sony. PSP quality graphics != PSP quality gameplay. That's one reason I feel sorry for the future of games, because self-proclaimed gamers can't tell the difference between graphics and gameplay. Just because a game is rendered more realistic doesn't mean it's not a casual game.

If the PSP2 has touch screen controls I can very confidently say that I will never purchase one. Touch controls are great for slow paced casual games, or one button games, but not for "full-sized" games. Personally I'm from the school of thought that controllers should have real buttons and not force me to put my fingers on top of the screen my game is rendering on.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i failed to see how the PSP copy anything from apple.
    and how did piracy kills psp? you try and show me you hacked the pspgo!

Thanks

Piracy killed the PSP plain and simple. PSPGO? Barely anyone owns that... Just a fancy PSP that's over-priced. Game Developers got tired of the distribution of the ISO/CSO's of their games, less money less development. Few people own the Go! So few people even bother developing since barely anyone will even buy their games... Regardless of no piracy on the Go.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Sony can skip trying to compete with the iPhones and itouches and take the battle straight to the iPad. That is the future of apples gaming.

Thanks

...Wait a minute. Aren't they developing the PSP Phone that runs on android? That's right!