+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Camera+ Returns from Exile

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Camera+ was a popular alternative camera app in its previous incarnations, making the #3 top seller on the App Store at its peak. Apple rejected it multiple times because the
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Camera+ Returns from Exile

Camera+ was a popular alternative camera app in its previous incarnations, making the #3 top seller on the App Store at its peak. Apple rejected it multiple times because the devs kept trying to sneak a mod that used the volume button as an alternative camera trigger past the reviewers. Now it's back, deemed acceptable by Apple, and with even more features than before in a slicker package.

In August, developers TapTapTap acknowledged that the so-called "VolumeSnap" feature - allowing the volume control on the earbuds as well as the phone to be used for triggering the camera shutter pictures - had caused Apple to reject the app, as "changing the behavior of iPhone external hardware buttons is a violation of the iPhone Developer Program License Agreement." This was the second go-around for TapTapTap, who had seen the app rejected for the same reason before. While they removed the feature from the next update, they hid it as an "easter egg" which was easily activated by users. Once news of the hidden feature made the tech blogs, the app got yanked for a third time.

After a major upgrade, all has been seemingly forgiven and Camera+ is back on the App Store, apparently with the VolumeSnap feature completely removed. There are a host of significant improvements that should bring the app right back up the to the top of the charts. The app is much faster to load and snappier all around. The awkward "retro SLR" skin has been replaced by a clean, intuitive interface, with zoom slider, stabilizer, timer, and burst mode controls easily accessible.

With 53 updated features, Camera+ 2.0 is a strong contender for a native Camera app replacement. It's available for a limited time at the reduced price of $0.99 on the App Store, and is free to people who had bought the previous version of Camera+.

Source: MacRumors

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (12-29-2010), reaves205 (12-23-2010), The Maestro (12-22-2010)

Thanks

Why does this sound like an ad? Also, stupid bannings like that is why a lot of people don't like Apple. They won't even let flashlight apps change the brightness.

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

Awesome app

iPhone? More like MyPhone ericwall's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Why does this sound like an ad? Also, stupid bannings like that is why a lot of people don't like Apple. They won't even let flashlight apps change the brightness.
    I agree, they are serious control freaks. I wish they could be a little bit more open.......

iPhone? More like MyPhone ericwall's Avatar
    Thanks

Im sorry if this is off topic...but...WHY CAN'T I CHANGE MY PROFILE INFO FROM THE IPHONE APP?!?!?!?!?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ericwall View Post
    Im sorry if this is off topic...but...WHY CAN'T I CHANGE MY PROFILE INFO FROM THE IPHONE APP?!?!?!?!?
    Seriously, if you know it's off-topic, and you know you're going to get flamed for it, WHY MUST YOU STILL DO IT?!?!?!?!?!?!

...I'm sorry, officer, I know that driving with a blood alcohol level of .24 is illegal, not to mention extremely deadly, but do you really have to arrest me?...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rokesomesmeefer For This Useful Post:

Snozberries (12-28-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    It's not an ad. It's informing us what this app does. If you think of it that way, the moment you start talking about something you are advertising it
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

Bad *** app! Bought it after reading this news article. Love it. You can even use photos you've imported through iTunes and do a lot of stuff with them. Well worth $1.07 (tax included)

Thanks

The only reason why I don't use this app as a replacement for the normal camera app is it can't take videos! It's such a basic function but it can't do it
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I have used this app for quite some time and love it, I never use the original. I got the upgrade yesterday and all I can say is WOW. All the improvements are awesome but the "burst" mode is outstanding..This has got to be a candidate for "app of the year."

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

It's hard to imagine why apple rejects a feature in an app that makes the use of it's device easier for the customer.... But then again, I'm not shocked at all. Using the vol buttons to take pictures is WAY easier than having to use the button on the screen.

Maybe they'll implement it into the iPhone 5, and lead everyone to believe it was their idea. Kinda like categories, backgrounder, air print, and so on, and so on.
    Last edited by GellBrake'rrrr; 12-22-2010 at 06:28 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Seems that the Cydia tweak that turns the volume buttons into a shutter release don't work with this app. At least on my phone. Anyone else have this too?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    The only reason why I don't use this app as a replacement for the normal camera app is it can't take videos! It's such a basic function but it can't do it
    You should look into ProCamera.

I tried Camera+. Save your money.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    It's not an ad. It's informing us what this app does. If you think of it that way, the moment you start talking about something you are advertising it
    It was more of the fact that it was bragging about it's great interface, it's on the front page, and that I'm sure apps get rejected all the time then come back a couple months later with some new features. I don't think they were actually in cahoots with the makers of Camera+ though lol. I just thought it was funny, excuse me.

Thanks

Its a good thing that:
    "changing the behavior of iPad external hardware buttons" isn't "a violation of the iPad Developer Program License Agreement"
    because then Apple would have to reject their own updates!

Seriously.
    When Apple changes the behavior of their own buttons to make the device less useful, with no workaround permitted,
    and then dishes out against any 3rd party devs who do the same, in an attempt to make the device more useful, somethin's not right here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Apple is the maker of the device. So don't think dev rules apply to them.

Thanks

Yeah, iBooks changes the screen brightness and Find My iPhone remotely fools with an iDevice. I'm sure Apple would laugh at a dev that tried to pass that.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Daniel Ash View Post
    In August, developers TapTapTap acknowledged that the so-called "VolumeSnap" feature - allowing the volume control on the earbuds as well as the phone to be used for triggering the camera shutter pictures - had caused Apple to reject the app, as "changing the behavior of iPhone external hardware buttons is a violation of the iPhone Developer Program License Agreement." This was the second go-around for TapTapTap, who had seen the app rejected for the same reason before. While they removed the feature from the next update, they hid it as an "easter egg" which was easily activated by users. Once news of the hidden feature made the tech blogs, the app got yanked for a third time.

hahahahahhahaha thats too funny GO TAPTAPTAP!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Its a great app! I wish they would add video support

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    hahahahahhahaha thats too funny GO TAPTAPTAP!!!
    Remember the flashlight app that hid tethering? Now that was a bad *** dev lol