Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Bringing Expanded Voice Control to iOS

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Bringing Expanded Voice Control to iOS

Apple is looking for engineers with extensive experience in the area of speech recognition in four new job listings that went up on their employment website this week. Coming after Apple's acquisition of the Stanford University spinoff Siri earlier this year, the new jobs indicate that Apple is planning to implement more elaborate speech recognition functionality in future versions of iOS, not only including voice control and voice search, but potentially advanced speech apps like Siri's "personal assistant" as well.

Apple's job site includes new listings for a iOS Speech Software Application Engineer, two Speech Recognition Engineers and one Senior Speech Research Scientist. The openings are for engineers with "demonstrated experience" working on voice recognition software such as Nuance Recognizer, IBM WebSphere Voice, and Google Voice Search who would work with the iOS Application Frameworks team "on a variety of speech-related development activities."

We reviewed the Siri app when it first came out, and Apple was clearly so excited about it that they bought the company outright. And an Apple patent was revealed earlier this month describing a method to control multiple apps by voice. Users would combine simple touch gestures the establish a context that would allow for shorter voice commands such as "compose, reply, forward, read, save, copy, paste, search" and so forth to act on a particular app. So with all the resources Apple is putting into this, it's just a matter of time before we're not just talking on our iPhones, but talking to them as well.

Source: CNET

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

chrisangel13 (12-22-2010), magbou22 (12-22-2010)

Thanks

I rarely use the voice control on my my iPhone, but I'm always excited about apple making its products better. This could be cool!

about time, the android voice control is light years better than the iPhone
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyblue_pimp For This Useful Post:

Icepecks (12-22-2010)

Haven't there been rumors about better Voice Control on here already? Oh well, I'm definitely looking forward to this. It is one thing on the iPhone that is lacking and has found itself to be an unused feature.

Imagine a world where everyone is outside using their phones, texting, calling, checking their email, playing games etc... then imagine them all talking to them like idiots.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to piston597 For This Useful Post:

justinpotter81 (12-22-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    Imagine a world where everyone is outside using their phones, texting, calling, checking their email, playing games etc... then imagine them all talking to them like idiots.
    i dont see the difference.

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

try burping to the voice control... mine comes up saying calling home :/
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't wait to see what Apple does with voice texting and all that good stuff. Android's is pretty good already so I'm curious to see what they come up with!

Voice control is stupid. I've tried it many times and it's never worked. How can you mistake Play Like a G6 with Play songs by Chris Brown?
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

I wish apple would skip this and come up with thought control already!

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Voice control is stupid. I've tried it many times and it's never worked. How can you mistake Play Like a G6 with Play songs by Chris Brown?
    You can't ask for a song by name so "Like a G6" is not a valid name to use.

You can currently:
    "Play songs by [artist]"
    "Play playlist [playlist]"
    "Play more songs like this"
    "Play Album [album]"

Unfortunately "the voice system doesn't work" because it doesn't do what you want it to do, doesn't mean it doesn't work. It is working how it was designed. Don't get me wrong, I had hopes it worked the way you are looking for, but after some research I also was disappointed.
    MacMini Server 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 15" MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo l iPhone 3G S⃣ 32 GB Black l  TV Gen 2

Default quick question
    this has to do with voice control so does anyone know if you can get voice control on the iphone 3g? i have looked everywhere but came up with nothing

Quote Originally Posted by monkey87 View Post
    I wish apple would skip this and come up with thought control already!
    One step beyond, it does it before we even think of it

Quote Originally Posted by jvoni View Post
    You can't ask for a song by name so "Like a G6" is not a valid name to use.

You can currently:
    "Play songs by [artist]"
    "Play playlist [playlist]"
    "Play more songs like this"
    "Play Album [album]"

Unfortunately "the voice system doesn't work" because it doesn't do what you want it to do, doesn't mean it doesn't work. It is working how it was designed. Don't get me wrong, I had hopes it worked the way you are looking for, but after some research I also was disappointed.
    Actually, it does. After reading this article I tried telling it to do a few things, like play songs, and a couple times it worked
    Last edited by whereswaldo; 12-22-2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by rpgpromaster View Post
    try burping to the voice control... mine comes up saying calling home :/
    Epic win!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    +1!!

Imagine all the people who complain about Bluetooth headsets! They're going to go absolutely bonkers!
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

Can't wait to see this feature be improved upon

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    It's your accent.

Whoever makes the Speech To Text app work first will make a huge amount of money. Especially where texting while driving laws are headed now a days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast