Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Removes Controversial WikiLeaks App

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple Removes Controversial WikiLeaks App

It comes as less than a shock to many that Apple has pulled the unofficial WikiLeaks iPhone application from the App Store. What is surprising, however, is that Apple allowed its entry in the first place. Released just days ago, the controversial app in question costs $1.99 and serves up access to the documents that make WikiLeaks what it is.

The application - while not officially affiliated with WikiLeaks or its founder Julian Assange - also connects users with the @wikileaks official twitter feed. But as of today, those who click the app's link in the App Store get the following message: "Your request could not be completed. The item you requested is not available in the US store."

The move may put Apple at risk for a distributed-denial-of-service attack, of DDoS, from Assange supporters. A DDoS attack floods a target site with external requests, making it nearly impossible for the site to function normally. Hackers sympathetic to Assange have claimed credit for similar attacks on Amazon and PayPal.
    The app's developer Igor Barinov confirmed that Apple has yanked the app from the App Store. Apple itself is yet to respond to formal requests for comment on the matter. Of course, Apple isn't alone in its appetite for distance from the controversial website and all related materials. Since November, the likes of Amazon, PayPal, Mastercard, Visa, and Bank of America have ended all business, banking, and financial relationships with WikiLeaks.

Washington Post

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (12-21-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

what is wikileaks and why is it such a big deal?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lillewis51 For This Useful Post:

APFDF (12-21-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by lillewis51 View Post
    It is basically a site that releases classified documents. It got really controversial when the releases a lot of documents pertaining to diplomatic conversations and stuff like that.

OT: Why is it that so much sites are starting to cut support of WikiLeaks? Next thing you know, hackers will take down every single site on the internet that is against WikiLeaks...

They post quite a bit of sensitive government information that's been leaked. It's quite a shame so many businesses are on this censorship spree. If the government doesn't want us to know about thongs, they probably shouldn't be doing them.

if they take down the appstore by a DDoS attack for a single second, im going to put a stick up their @$$

Quote Originally Posted by techboywii View Post
    if they take down the appstore by a DDoS attack for a single second, im going to put a stick up their @$$

Quote Originally Posted by BHX View Post
    They post quite a bit of sensitive government information that's been leaked. It's quite a shame so many businesses are on this censorship spree. If the government doesn't want us to know about thongs, they probably shouldn't be doing them.
    The point isn't to stop the people under the same government from knowing things, it's about stopping ones enemies from knowing certain things, like locations of our forces or how our technology works.

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty42 View Post
    The point isn't to stop the people under the same government from knowing things, it's about stopping ones enemies from knowing certain things, like locations of our forces or how our technology works.
    and the ModMyI.com political debate begins..
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zinjen For This Useful Post:

staterunner180 (12-21-2010)

If we weren't the world police/imperialists of this era, and didn't rely so much on the military-industrial complex, mayhaps we wouldn't have said problems. I'm so glad we've had a morally justifiable war after we never demilitarized post ww2. Oh wait...

If the government doesn't want us to know about thongs
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa, now the government is trying to censor thongs? FFS what has this world come to?

lol

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Browning151 For This Useful Post:

aj8600 (12-22-2010), DeathDude (12-21-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Way to support America Apple! Red, White, and Blue through and through.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

dagger80 (12-23-2010)

wiki leaks did expose a lot of things that or goverment should not be doing but it did screw a lot of things up I think it should take off its stuff regarding to diplomatic issues

18. The Following User Says Thank You to T40mas For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (12-21-2010)

**** you apple. **** you.

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

Some of the posts on here infuriates me....talking bout censorship. How would you like it if I got your social security number and personal info and put it on a website? I'm all about censorship but somethings needs to be regulated. Is Apple out of there f'ing minds to even allow it to be on App Store one minute. "....not available in US.". Outside the US is worst.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to maddawg05 For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (12-21-2010)

You haven't read them I see. Try reading a few before commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg05 View Post
    Some of the posts on here infuriates me....talking bout censorship. How would you like it if I got your social security number and personal info and put it on a website? I'm all about censorship but somethings needs to be regulated. Is Apple out of there f'ing minds to even allow it to be on App Store one minute. "....not available in US.". Outside the US is worst.
    Most names were redacted in the cables, of all the ones i have read most deal with US assistance in other countries and only names public figures. So far not read anything about personal info in any cable I have read.

It's about time they removed Eastern European Anarchist crap. How the heck did that get by the censors, anyway? It's clearly sociopolitical to the extreme.

I guess that tells you something about employees working at trendy Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by LordBrian View Post
    Most names were redacted in the cables, of all the ones i have read most deal with US assistance in other countries and only names public figures. So far not read anything about personal info in any cable I have read.
    His point still stands. This information was collected against their will for nefarious reasons -- it was intended to hurt, plain and simple. Oh, sure, they try and spin it like information will set us free, but that's not their ideology.

Assange is a henchman of the anti-government/ anarchist agenda, and he's certainly not motivated by giving the world a helping hand - he wants to topple regimes based on his own twisted political ideology.

I'm glad America doesn't stand for these underhanded tactics. We enjoy our freedom here, even at the cost of ignorance regarding classified information.

If we weren't the world police/imperialists of this era, and didn't rely so much on the military-industrial complex, mayhaps we wouldn't have said problems. I'm so glad we've had a morally justifiable war after we never demilitarized post ww2. Oh wait...
    Hey, I'll send you a video of a soldier getting his head carved from his body with a kitchen knife as he screams (you can hear the knife grinding through his spine), then we'll talk about morals.
    Last edited by Jahooba; 12-21-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

5h4d0w (12-21-2010), clikzip (12-21-2010), Crafty42 (12-21-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Whine whine whine - insert uninformed political bullcrap here - whine whine whine

Next news story please

26. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

staterunner180 (12-21-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

do you live in a box? lol just turn the tv on and youll know all about it haha

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Quote Originally Posted by LordBrian View Post
    You haven't read them I see. Try reading a few before commenting.
    http://www.voanews.com/english/news/WikiLeaks--Files-Reveal-Location-of-US-Tactical-Nukes-in-Europe-111060394.html

U were saying?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

I don't see them being able to mess with apple. Apple owns their hardware if they attack it they will just hit a button and swap to other hardware running beside it then bring the first hardware back online. Plus ...... this is Apple. They ARE the internet they can block that crap once they determine it's source, while switching hardware. Downtime? Not much if any.

Amazon and Paypal I.T. look like kindergardeners compared to Apple IT.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

30. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

AnthonyGiola (12-21-2010)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast