Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Removes Controversial WikiLeaks App

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
So is the discussion on wether Wikileaks did the right or wrong thing releasing documents? or, on a jailbreak community website that censorship is necessary?
    Thanks

So is the discussion on wether Wikileaks did the right or wrong thing releasing documents? or, on a jailbreak community website that censorship is necessary?

Thanks

Unfortunate decision. But hell...I never used the app anyway, and it's not like its suddenly hard to get the information if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGiola View Post
    The government is a lot like your mothers room, there a lot of things that happen in there you shouldn't ever know. Wikileaks isn't a way to let knowledge be free. Its a way to attack America.
    no.

#1 - the government isn't like your mother. it is not your parent and its actions are accountable to the people. If you remove that critical check and balance, you forefit your ability to retain control over why your government is doing. "Trust us" is not acceptable.

#2 - Imagine if the Abu Ghraib story had not leaked. We'd probably STILL be torturing people out there and wondering why there are more and more terrorists growing in Iraq. I laugh at those who suggest they'd rather operate in a world where they don't know what their government is or isn't doing. How will you know if they're doing enough to protect us? How will you know if they're not doing enough? How will you know if they're doing THE WRONG THINGS that will make us ultimately less safe? You know, like arming Hussein in the 80s. Like supplying money and support to Bin Laden in the 70s back when they were fighting the Russians? Like covering up torture (see: Abu Ghraib) or dealing in illegal weapons (see: recent UK-US leak about cluster bombs)? How do you propose to hold anyone accountable for anything if you don't know what's happened?

This is the same mentality that doesn't get it when people said events like 9/11 were "chickens coming home to roost" because they were unaware of the things we (by way of our government) were supporting overseas.

#3 - Only an informed population can balance its government in a democracy. Willingness to hand that essential burden of democracy (accountability to the people and transparency) over out of convenience is asking for trouble while being totally unprepared for it when it comes because only a few knew what was going on in the first place. It also opens you up to be manipulated by half-truths and outright lies. Pardon, I don't want to live in blissful ignorance. I want to live in the reality of what's happening and seek changes where they need to be made so that we don't lose everything we hold dear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I'm glad America doesn't stand for these underhanded tactics. We enjoy our freedom here, even at the cost of ignorance regarding classified information.
    so much fail in such a short comment. you regard "classified" as though it were always being used to hide important secrets when in fact, it's being regularly abused to keep the public from learning of truths that would result in leadership changes. Maybe they should have put Watergate in a classified file. I'm sure you wouldn't have asked any more questions, while also assuming it needed to be kept secret! Perhaps the TSA should be able to hide how poorly they're performing by simply marking the results of their latest screening evaluations...by simply classifying it! Oh wait, they're doing just that.

Airport Security: Loaded Gun Slips Past TSA Screeners - ABC News

Fortunately a little bit leaked. And you know what that does? It forces TSA officials and employees to step up and do a better damn job...and to get improvements made faster. You know what would have happened if nothing had leaked? They would have kept trudging along slowly, like the government does most of the time...and employees would continue to be mediocre, lulled into a sense of security by boredom. Nobody moving in any particular hurry while the risk to the public remains high, yet unreported to those at risk. Exposing things has a way of lighting a fire under officials and their employees, don't you think?

No, we're talking about abuse of power in its easiest to understand and most basic form. Yes, some things should be classified. Secret names, codes, tactical information (positions of military assets and quantities, for example). But violations, misdeeds, shady dealings, and questionable policies and relationships both militarily and politically need to be parsed and addressed via public discourse for the sake of all. Not hidden away and then apologized without any doubt or scrutiny. It gives way too much power, authority and trust to those with the ability to "classify" information without any accountability.

Be upset that our government and military have done things shocking enough or embarrassing enough that people in power want them to be hidden for the sake of their jobs, rather than upset that the information leaked. It's a bit like a cheating spouse being upset that their secret got out rather than embarrassed they were cheating.

Every one of our lives is at stake. Expect more, hide less. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathDude View Post
    ironic, isn't it?

though to be fair, we're talking apples and oranges. but your point remains.
    Last edited by adrian1480; 12-21-2010 at 05:19 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adrian1480 For This Useful Post:

dhamien (12-21-2010), Lecram25 (12-22-2010), mortopher (12-21-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BHX View Post
    They post quite a bit of sensitive government information that's been leaked. It's quite a shame so many businesses are on this censorship spree. If the government doesn't want us to know about thongs, they probably shouldn't be doing them.
    i agree that the government should really be showing us what they are doing, but if it is classified war tactics and strategy being shown, that's exploiting our country's weak spots

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rayzeur22 View Post
    i agree that the government should really be showing us what they are doing, but if it is classified war tactics and strategy being shown, that's exploiting our country's weak spots
    agreed. but nothing like that has been leaked.

and even war tactics should be leaked if they violate the Geneva Conventions. though I've not heard of anything like that happening.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    What's your problem, Messany? You thought you could write an article even MENTIONING WikiLeaks without an utter flame war occurring? Take it down, this site is for the community learning what's new with Apple and the jailbreak community, not for heated free-for-all political debate that explodes into conspiracy theories and God vs. atheism (even if that hasn't happened yet, it happened on the article about the apple.com splashscreen, it's going to happen here).
    He did nothing wrong. It's not his fault people are being stupid in his thread

Thanks

C-L-O-S-E-D T-H-R-E-A-D . a

Thanks

Awwwe Geez. Look what you've done wikileaks made a few people get they're bootyhurt. WHO GIVES A CRAP!

Quote Originally Posted by Raptors View Post
    C-L-O-S-E-D T-H-R-E-A-D . a
    Last edited by erod0601; 12-21-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

It's closed? Than how am I posting here?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    It's closed? Than how am I posting here?
    you're breaking forum rules buddy, this is a closed there, nothing to see here.

ahah jokinggg, just throwing everybody off to keep it clean no one talked about how it got removed, this just turned into a wikileaks debate.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iNT3Rv3NTiONZz View Post
    do you live in a box? lol just turn the tv on and youll know all about it haha

Actually, DON'T turn the tv on and research it yourselves on the interwebs. Television is comletely one sided and is making assange look like a terrorist himself.

Very sad that some people here do not question what the government is doing on other countries.

Enjoy your "freedom" everybody, while it lasts. I also hope people who post in this thread read some of the released cables beforehand.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

This site is starting to turn political with agendas... Mainly poking issues to spark contravery between its readers. Most of us come he to get the latest and greatest; JB, Unlock, tips and tricks etc... Usually everyone plays nice then BOOM... out comes an article from ---Yup you guessed it....Messany... Then here is how it goes...

several people bash the article (using their free speech...
    MMI "police" comes out and removes posts and threatens
    people complain ---Hey he is just expressing free speech...

Police respond---that will not be tolerated!
    someone complains about an article
    police respond---If you don't like it don't read it ... its free speech...

hmmmmm really?

LMAO...

Just posting some joking fun in the form of free speech... ;-)

Oh WikiLeaks="its all about me and I don't care who could possibly die because of me wanting to be controversial"

So what article is next??? iTunes is going to put out a *** app for the military since the DADT policy has been overturned?

How about posting,,,hmmm, lets see..... WIKiJAILBREAK Leaks or WIKIUnlock Leaks... Im just saying....

LMAO

Happy Holidays ALL...

D

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
    **** you apple. **** you.
    Why **** apple? Because they removed an app that puts classified U.S. documents on the net for the world to see? The us governments documents, conversations etc are the US's business not the rest of the worlds. Other Countries would be ******* furious if their private government conversations and documents with troop locations etc were released to the world. All these Not Americans think it ******** that sites are cutting wikileaks out, but if the shoe were on the other foot those Countries would be going the same thing.
    [SIGPIC]

Thanks

Someone really needs to close this damned thread. (I'm not anti-free-speech, I'm anti-off-topic-flamewars-that-have-nothing-to-do-with-the-rest-of-the-site.)

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Someone really needs to close this damned thread. (I'm not anti-free-speech, I'm anti-off-topic-flamewars-that-have-nothing-to-do-with-the-rest-of-the-site.)
    True, it's gotten ridiculous with the arguments...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Wow, this wikileaks is a real threat to the system. Like there's something they don't want us to see.....can't wait

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Nothing in life is easy.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

who will honestly use their iPhone to read the millions of documents wikileaks has? Talk about obsessive no life....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lillewis51 View Post
    what is wikileaks...?
    Please tell us you're kidding, right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    who will honestly use their iPhone to read the millions of documents wikileaks has? Talk about obsessive no life....
    Haha so true. Didn't think about that.

Thanks

Why is everyone crying about it being off topic? It's fun!! I love when people argue. If you don't like it don't read it.

Thanks

^It's because people are getting fowl-mouthed and angry. It's an embarrassment to this site and the jailbreaking community. People should be able to talk without name calling and mindless trolling. I bet many of these people wouldn't say the things they do if this were a real intelligent debate and not just a free-for-all flamewar environment. The off-topic-ness is just the icing on the annoying and bitter cake! I love to come here and joke and help people, not defend myself and others against people calling names like bi** boi and crap. Then you have the people wearing tin foil hats wanting to believe the government is trying to kill everybody.