+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apps Violating Your Privacy: Report

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
pandora you disappoint me, I love that app too
    My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

pandora you disappoint me, I love that app too
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Hope dav team see these make some barrier like they did for one jailbreak on 4.0

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

So, would anyone care to explain what the big deal is?

Alert me when my actual personal information is being sent out, i.e. my address, cc numbers, bank accts., etc.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (12-20-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Why the sudden change in Pandora usage?
    There's no point in stopping the use of the app.
    They already got the information this story posted so you deleting the app isnt going to change that lol.
    Its over and done with already. keep using Pandora. you're pretty safe haha

Thanks

I be having phone calls from car warranty, credit cards offer and other. Send I install pandora app. So they are make sale with the phone id to a 3 party and who knows what other information are pulling from are devices

Thanks

I use Spotify, I dont care. And yeah, use PrivaCy if your scared.

Thanks

Maybe that's why app submissions have been so fast recently, apple isn't even checking the apps
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    So, would anyone care to explain what the big deal is?

Alert me when my actual personal information is being sent out, i.e. my address, cc numbers, bank accts., etc.
    I agree with you on this all the way. They're collecting basic demographic info so they can show me relevant ads. I would rather see things like Best Buy and Chevy on my screen than Maxi Pads and Huggies Diapers!

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Pandora? What Pandora!?!
    We don't need no stinkin' Pandora!
    Bye Bye Pandora!

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5h4d0w's Avatar
    Thanks

Just install Firewall iP. I use it to block all (well, all that I'm aware of and the app will find) usage tracking sites. Not to mention it also blocks ads in Safari if you know what to block. I just "Deny All" in apps that shouldn't be connecting to the web at all.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I agree with you on this all the way. They're collecting basic demographic info so they can show me relevant ads. I would rather see things like Best Buy and Chevy on my screen than Maxi Pads and Huggies Diapers!
    I would rather seeing NOTHING on my screen!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thevmax For This Useful Post:

5h4d0w (12-20-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't care about any of these things except for contact information being sent. That's just not fair to my friends.

I have personally always been worried about credit card info/checking account info being leaked. But then again, they can get that at proximity to your wallet these days...

End of the road, all apps should be required to thoroughly show what info is collected and let you specifically check one by one which you agree to be shared.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5h4d0w View Post
    Just install Firewall iP. I use it to block all (well, all that I'm aware of and the app will find) usage tracking sites. Not to mention it also blocks ads in Safari if you know what to block. I just "Deny All" in apps that shouldn't be connecting to the web at all.
    Exactly. If you're running FirewallIP, then you're aware of every I/O request on your phone. What would be interesting to see is WSJ (or any other agency reporting on iPhone privacy issues) take the issue even further to note that users who jailbreak their devices can actually protect themselves from this type of intrusion (by running FirewallIp, PrivaCy, etc.), making the argument for more/total user control of their (not Apple's) devices even stronger, and even possibly encouraging more users to look into jailbreaking their devices to stay "safe."

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to punchyouinthenuts For This Useful Post:

5h4d0w (12-20-2010), Eagleye (12-20-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
    I would rather seeing NOTHING on my screen!
    And have the company go out of business b/c of lack of revenue then you'll have no app at all! Smart thinking buddy!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Basic demographic info? Like my full name, my exact location, and a unique identifier from my phone? I get enough sales ad crap in the mail and enough crap thrown at me in every waking moment of my life trying to sell me everything under the sun. I dropped SunTrust because they sold my name to everyone that would buy it. I'm currently trying to figure out how state farm got my name and address despite no one in my family nor my friend have state farm. These apps are sending DETAILED information. I don't want anyone knowing that info unless I explicitly give it to them. It's none of the app developers business where I live, what my iPhones unique identity number is, or my zipcode. All they should care about is making an app that can convince me that it's good enough to purchase. If the data was anonymous then why do they gather my name and iPhone UDID? They are tailoring it to me specifically. Hell even non-ad supported apps are gathering data if the stories are correct. Though they could be trying to ratchet up the fear angle.
    HK-Z on Game Center

19. The Following User Says Thank You to KartRacer For This Useful Post:

PWNsyst3m (12-21-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I thought all of you teckie guys would have known that there os no such thing as privacy anymore! Wow!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    Basic demographic info? Like my full name, my exact location, and a unique identifier from my phone? I get enough sales ad crap in the mail and enough crap thrown at me in every waking moment of my life trying to sell me everything under the sun. I dropped SunTrust because they sold my name to everyone that would buy it. I'm currently trying to figure out how state farm got my name and address despite no one in my family nor my friend have state farm. These apps are sending DETAILED information. I don't want anyone knowing that info unless I explicitly give it to them. It's none of the app developers business where I live, what my iPhones unique identity number is, or my zipcode. All they should care about is making an app that can convince me that it's good enough to purchase. If the data was anonymous then why do they gather my name and iPhone UDID? They are tailoring it to me specifically. Hell even non-ad supported apps are gathering data if the stories are correct. Though they could be trying to ratchet up the fear angle.
    That's exactly it!
    I don't want ANY fawking ads on any of my devices and I especially hate any and all attempts at "tailoring" ads to my supposed "interests". When I want to buy something I research it and make an informed decision. That's how I bought my DSL camera, my watch, my phone, my car, etc. Ads have never ever influenced my buying decisions and will never do so. They mean absolutely nothing to me as they reflect nothing of the true quality of whatever they are trying to sell, they are nothing but a nuisance.
    Privacy is not dead it's just takes time and effort to cover your tracks as much as possible.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to sadsamurai For This Useful Post:

punchyouinthenuts (12-20-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Whyt151 View Post
    I thought all of you teckie guys would have known that there os no such thing as privacy anymore! Wow!!!
    I'd have to disagree with you there. As sadsamurai said:

Quote Originally Posted by sadsamurai View Post
    Privacy is not dead it's just takes time and effort to cover your tracks as much as possible.
    It's a generally defeatist attitude that fuels the continued existence of what most people do not desire. Believing that privacy is "dead" is giving into the notion that you have no privacy, and that peace is found by coming to terms with that fact, thus giving them no fight whatsoever, allowing their harassment to go unchecked. Sadly, if you're one of the few who actually possess the will to resist this intrusion, it takes extra effort on your part to return to a sense of normalcy, where you can go about common routines without having to devote extra work just to keep the machine oiled. In this particular instance, you need to jailbreak your device, install apps that thwart their efforts to collect your information, and keep active on your phone so as to make sure everything is in fine, working order, and your privacy and information are protected.

I don't know about you Whyt151, or anyone else here for that matter, but it's worth it to me.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLaw-One View Post
    The toggles need to be off....
    Pivacy is set to default in the off position so you should turn them to on?

Thanks

I'd much rather have them see my info and show me ads that relate to me than have stupid audio commercials between songs. They SHOULD be asking for permission though.