+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sharp, Apple Teaming Up For LCD Plant

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Sharp, Apple Teaming Up For LCD Plant

Sharp is teaming with Apple on a $1.2 billion-dollar facility that will crank out iPhone screens faster than you can say iOS. According to Japanese paper the Nikkei business daily, Sharp is coughing up some of the cash to optimize the plant, but Apple is rumored to be coughing up a lot more. Apple will also buy "most of the panels produced by Sharp," a company that has previously supplied LCD panels for Apple's iPod touch.

As it stands, Sharp will occupy the space in order to produce panels for next-generation iPhones, including high-resolution “Retina Display” screens. The previous occupant of the facility was also an LCD production, albeit one that made large-panel screens. Next year, equipment for making smaller LCD screen will be installed at the site in hopes of getting the plant online by the middle of 2012.

In recent days, there were unfounded reports of Apple working with Toshiba on a new LCD plant. It now appears that signals were crossed and Toshiba may have been mistaken for Sharp. This week, a representative for Toshiba was quoted in various media stating that rumors of an Apple-Toshiba LCD partnership were not factual.

Reuters

Thanks
    Thanked 3,876 Times in 2,215 Posts

Interesting but I am not a big fan of sharp LCD tvs or monitors so I guess we will see how this works out
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Westerman View Post
    Interesting but I am not a big fan of sharp LCD tvs or monitors so I guess we will see how this works out

I agree with you on that

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone? More like MyPhone yoTelefonoCuatro's Avatar
    Thanks

I third that... Sharp kinda sucks.

And as for mobile phones... good god.. the Sharp FX came out for AT&T and it looks horrid. It looks like a cheap chinese phone from TaoBao or DHGate.
    yoTelefonoTresG, now introducing...
    the new..
    yoTelefonoCuatro.

say "Amen Brotha!" or "thanks a bunch!", click that "Thanks!" button!

Thanks

Apple already uses LCDs on iDevices, it's LED they might get
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

There's no need to ramp up production of LCD screens, they're cheap and suck and can be found anywhere, sorry but the blacks and whites on the iPhone 4 suck when compared to a Samsung Galaxy S or Nokia N8.

LED screens on the other hand need production increasing and Samsung has the monopoly on AMOLED so I guess Sharp will be making LED/OLED screens, it's too much of a big investment for old tech LCD.

Even my 2009 MBP uses LED backlit LCD.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    There's no need to ramp up production of LCD screens, they're cheap and suck and can be found anywhere, sorry but the blacks and whites on the iPhone 4 suck when compared to a Samsung Galaxy S or Nokia N8.

LED screens on the other hand need production increasing and Samsung has the monopoly on AMOLED so I guess Sharp will be making LED/OLED screens, it's too much of a big investment for old tech LCD.

i agree, companies to start putting out some good LED desplays to help lower the price of them, tv's are getting better but a little more time and they should get the price down some
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

At least they are proactively approaching the future. Hand in hand relationships will make the products better.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post

I actually laughed at this.

LED backlit LCD = LCD screen with LEDs for the lighting so you can see it in the dark. Old tech, not new.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The problem with LED, is that it's still relatively unpredictable. Look at automotive LED lights... You'll see cars with just one or two LEDs out, but the rest work fine.

Overall, LEDs have a very long life, but some just die early. Imagine that happening to a $2000 TV, laptop, or $300-$600 computer monitor. Now picture that on a cell phone, which sees a lot more abuse.

I'll wait until the dead-LED-pixel problem is resolved, and I believe this is also why Apple chooses to wait. Imagine the warranty headache!
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.