Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bugged Phone Tripped Up Apple Leaker

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Bugged Phone Tripped Up Apple Leaker

An employee at an Apple parts supplier has been caught on tape selling inside information [pdf] about Apple to a hedge fund broker. The information, potentially worth millions to the broker, was sold by Walter Shimoon for a mere $22,000. Shimoon has since been fired by camera and charger component maker Flextronics International, and was arrested by US law enforcement this morning. Among other things, he was recorded leaking sales information, details about the iPhone's cameras and about a mysterious product known only as "K48."

Shimoon, who played a role in contract negotiations with Apple, is alleged to have passed information via phone calls with clients of Primary Global Research, an expert-networking company based in California. One of the people he was talking to, however, was a government witness who was recording the phone calls. According to the recordings, Shimoon revealed third quarter 2009 sales figures for iPhones and fourth quarter 2009 sales figures for iPods during a phone call in October 2009. During this call, Shimoon also let drop the news that the 2010 iPhone would have two cameras. "We're working with them on the camera," Shimoon said, according to the complaint against him. "You know, they're very secretive."

In the same phone call, Shimoon also revealed that Apple was working on a top secret product, which was known internally at the company as "K48." His information about the new product was sketchy, Shimoon explained, but he made some educated guesses that turned out to be pretty accurate: "It's totally ... It's a new category altogether... It doesn't have a camera, what I figured out. So I speculated that it's probably a reader... Something like that. Um, let me tell you, it's a very secretive program," he said. Shimoon also added that "at Apple you can get fired for saying K48... that's how crazy they are about it."

Shimoon apparently thought he was safe because he wasn't writing anything down, only talking on the phone. In a conversation about the insider-trading prosecution of billionaire Raj Rajaratnam, he noted that "it's all done via voice, there's no real record of information," but observed that "it would really suck if you recorded all the calls."

Smart guy.

Source: Fortune

That's crazy hahaha

Thanks

K48AP, a.k.a., the model number for the iPad.

This should be a lesson to anybody reading this forum at Apple HQ: You. ARE. ALWAYS. Being. Watched. Apple protects their secrecy very well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SirTimothy1 View Post
    Now I want to know what K48 is...
    I'm guessing that k48 was the code name for the iPad. No camera, probably a reader. Everything else in the release seamed to be old news, so I'm guessing they were talking about the iPad. Makes sense to arrest him now since anything on the tapes is old news.

Sounds like a good movie

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I would have sold the info for atleast 25k lol

Why do they make it sound like some movie...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

that guy probably made 22k in a couple of months.. so not worth it, lose the job and now you will never find something that good and all for a couple of months worth of salary

Quote Originally Posted by Snboard2286 View Post
    iPad?
    Um, thats not top secret, it was anounced 11 months ago
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Um, thats not top secret, it was anounced 11 months ago
    My understanding is that these recordings are from a couple months ago.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    A few months ago the iPad still existed

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Stupid to do such a thing... especially for the amount he got... if I still worked my job would mean more than doing something like this!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

Stupid to do such a thing... especially for the amount he got... if I still worked my job would mean more than doing something like this!
    Greed
    "foreign corporations > swedish law"

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    The phone call was recorded in October 2009. I'm guessing the "4Q figures" was a typo and supposed to be 3Q figures, or 4Q projections.

It was obviously about the iPad. Nothing else fits the description, vague, but revealing.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    The phone call was recorded in October 2009. I'm guessing the "4Q figures" was a typo and supposed to be 3Q figures, or 4Q projections.

It was obviously about the iPad. Nothing else fits the description, vague, but revealing.
    Nothing that we know of, maybe its something that there haven't been reports or rumors of
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Nothing that we know of, maybe its something that there haven't been reports or rumors of
    As of October 2009, the iPad hadn't even reached proper "Apple Rumor" status, and even the rumors that were out didn't paint any kind of picture about what they were building. Most people assumed the hush was about iPhone 4. The iPad was finally unveiled in Jan '10, which silenced many people about iPhone 4 until the famous "bar incident."

Realistically though, I don't think that's what got him. I think dropping the bit about the next iPhone having two cameras instead of one killed him. That would have actually been a tangible piece of information for investors/competitors to guess the direction of the iPhone.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

Snitches

records show this relates to conversations held between 2008 and the start of 2010, this lines up in relation to the ipad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast