Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Canadian Carrier Unlocking iPhones for Qualified Users

  1. #21
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by staterunner180 View Post
    So when you have it unlocked by the carrier, does it become a factory unlocked phone? So that upgrade firmware wont affect the unlock? I'd like to know how they are doing this, taking locked phones and permanently unlocking them. It would be a great tool for unlockers in countries like the US.
    Your phone is not hardware unlocked. It is unlocked by touching Apple's server that allows it to be unlocked.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    That's nice. Why can't at&t do the same thing.
    they are actually supposed to unlock a customers phone after their two year contract is up by law if asked. how they get away with i dont know
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol

  3. #23
    Why don't we all just use ultrasn0w and make life easier/faster/cheaper/better?!

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by kingbijan View Post
    Why don't we all just use ultrasn0w and make life easier/faster/cheaper/better?!
    actually having the phones factory unlocked would be best since u dont have to worry about updating and losing jailbreak and unlock or having to deal with a tethered jailbreak just to use your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol

  5. #25
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    604
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 145 Times in 75 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Gyngabread Man View Post
    actually having the phones factory unlocked would be best since u dont have to worry about updating and losing jailbreak and unlock or having to deal with a tethered jailbreak just to use your phone.
    You still lose the jailbreak with the upgrade, But the unlock stays.
    [SIGPIC]

  6. #26
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Gyngabread Man View Post
    they are actually supposed to unlock a customers phone after their two year contract is up by law if asked. how they get away with i dont know
    They do not have to unlock any phone. They usually will though as long as it is not an iPhone. Once their exclusive deal is over they should start unlocking them as well.

  7. #27
    Stupid!!!! F Canada!!! Spam away...

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    You still lose the jailbreak with the upgrade, But the unlock stays.
    yea but alot of ppl jailbreak mainly to unlock. mosr of us here dont but the average person ive helped only wanted to unlock and had no idea how it even worked. so for them it would be easier to just be able to pop in a sim and away they go. i jailbreak for the fun stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    They do not have to unlock any phone. They usually will though as long as it is not an iPhone. Once their exclusive deal is over they should start unlocking them as well.
    im pretty sure there is a law that says after your contract is up it is illegal to keep the subsidy lock on the phone you paid money for or got to use on their service. that way it is easier for the consumer to switch if they want to. so since my contract is up i should be able to call up CS and get my phone unlocked, since i wanna switch. they do this for all phones if your account is in good standing. all but the iphone. i forget which law it is but its there and real. again how they are getting away with it, i dont know. and nothing is being done about because it hasnt bothered any important politician that can investigate or get an investigation started.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol

  9. #29
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks
    551
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    There is no such law in America. You are legally allowed to unlock your phone now, but the carriers are under no obligation to do so. Give it a few more months and that might change.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Your phone is not hardware unlocked. It is unlocked by touching Apple's server that allows it to be unlocked.
    So this would be equivalent to a factory unlock?? I could Change carriers, update firmware with no worries of the phone being relocked?

  11. #31
    I called fido the lady the lady I talked too didnt know anything about it? funny thing is she told me to google unlock and said i could jailbreak it

  12. #32
    My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    835
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 48 Times in 44 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by alirz View Post
    No, the unlocked iphone can only be bought from apple directly.
    if the iphone is bought from a carrier at any price, subsidized or not, it is locked to that carrier..
    Oh
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

  13. #33
    *****Bonzo***** Sanady361's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    1,760
    Thanks
    1,337
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 737 Posts

    Eskimo is right.
    My latest theme - -

  14. #34
    EffenTroll ! Effenpig!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    1,057
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 57 Times in 50 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by gbarielmoreno View Post
    It's aboot time
    I see what you did there!

    TPB FOR LIFE!!

  15. #35
    Green Apple 32dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Woodstock, Canada
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts

    Rogers won't start unlocking until Jan as per my phone call with them on Dec 15th

    Now i wonder if that would change the shsh blobs on cydia/tinyumbrella
    Last edited by 32dave; 12-24-2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added a question

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •