+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The iPhone Goes to War

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by vantheman169 By Christmas? You got a link to prove that ? Well it was from twitter but can't remeber which dev or account. sorry. Originally Posted by
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    By Christmas? You got a link to prove that ?
    Well it was from twitter but can't remeber which dev or account. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    I don't know if BB is really more secure no one wants to hack them
    There is no JB for 4.2 so its pretty secure

Iphone is the better device
    Double Post more?

= double fail
    Last edited by qgshadow; 12-15-2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Soilders have to learn to shoot with their left hand to prevent signal loss by the grip of death

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

if they want secure, they would use a SMEPED (secure mobile environment portable electronic device) The battery life on the SMEPED is ****, the device is huge, and very hit and miss...

The iPhone and iPad are being tested already and have failed rapid decompression testing among other things.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This article made me laugh.

The iPhone simply CAN'T, not EVER, meet the requirements of a combat soldier in any way... Except maybe as a camera.

Guy in charge: "DOOLITTLE!"
    Doolittle: "SIR, YES, SIR!"
    Guy in charge: "get on the horn and get us some help, NOW!"
    Doolittle: "Sir, I can't, SIR!"
    Guy in charge: "WHY THE **** NOT?!?"
    Doolittle: "Sir, I played 'Angry Birds' too long and killed the battery, SIR!"
    Guy in charge: "I'm surrounded by morons! FLOYD!!"
    Floyd: "SIR, MY PHONE IS BROKEN, SIR! I DROPPED IT ON THE FLOOR AND IT SHATTERED, SIR!"

Yes, I can see a bright future ahead for the iPhone "Black Ops edition."

I would imagine that they would be much better off with something like this:
    Sanyo - Taho

Sure, give it some more power, add some simple apps, and a bigger screen... But the simple ability to survive combat conditions will win it far more points than having a bunch of crazy fart-machine apps in downtown Baghdad!
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

Thanks

No it hasn't its a mess of a thethered JB and you have to replace the baseband

Tell me the exploit is easy like 4.1 then I'll agree

Right now jb 4.2 is a Fail lol

Guess I feel a true hack is like JB 4.1 the mess of 4.2 JB is not reliable you cant reboot

But the fail is that BB is more secure I dont believe it.

When complicated code like Win 7 can be hacked then why do people think BB is not? Only BS by the BB people wishful thinking
    DUDE 4.2 is way better than 4.1 and there is the UNTHETHERED JAILBREAK ETA

Comex Confirms iOS 4.2.1 Untethered Jailbreak Release Before Christmas 2010 | Redmond Pie

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I can see the recruitment commercials now for the young kids outta high school. JOIN THE ARMY & GET A FREE IPHONE AND FREE SERVICE.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I think its a nice idea... its either the iPhone or some other phone...

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

No it hasn't its a mess of a thethered JB and you have to replace the baseband

Tell me the exploit is easy like 4.1 then I'll agree

Right now jb 4.2 is a Fail lol

Guess I feel a true hack is like JB 4.1 the mess of 4.2 JB is not reliable you cant reboot

But the fail is that BB is more secure I dont believe it.

When complicated code like Win 7 can be hacked then why do people think BB is not? Only BS by the BB people wishful thinking
    How is 4.2 a fail? The JB is already out in a tethered Version and the UNtethered version will be out by christmas so that proves to you that the 4.2 FM isnt secure.

Second whats the **** with the baseband... you dont need to downgrade your baseband to jailbreak 4.2... If you want to unlock maybe you do.

But ANYWAYS IF the army buys iphones they wont buy LOCKED IPHONE, they will just tell apple to sell them the versions we have here in canada ( UNLOCKED )

and anyways IFFFFFFFFF THEY END UP with an iphone, they will have problem seeing the screen in direct sunlight, making phone calls in the middle of the desert, battery life, not rugged enough,security issues.

It's a luxury toy not a phone to bring on the battlefield.

and your argument saying BB isnt more secure... yes it is everything is encrypted even your voice.

and saying that android doenst have apps, well THE ARMY MAKES their own APPS. they dont use third party apps some random guy made lol.

Thanks

I feel like this is possibly a repost
    Rampage
    Back To The Basics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    This article made me laugh.

The iPhone simply CAN'T, not EVER, meet the requirements of a combat soldier in any way... Except maybe as a camera.

Guy in charge: "DOOLITTLE!"
    Doolittle: "SIR, YES, SIR!"
    Guy in charge: "get on the horn and get us some help, NOW!"
    Doolittle: "Sir, I can't, SIR!"
    Guy in charge: "WHY THE **** NOT?!?"
    Doolittle: "Sir, I played 'Angry Birds' too long and killed the battery, SIR!"
    Guy in charge: "I'm surrounded by morons! FLOYD!!"
    Floyd: "SIR, MY PHONE IS BROKEN, SIR! I DROPPED IT ON THE FLOOR AND IT SHATTERED, SIR!"

Yes, I can see a bright future ahead for the iPhone "Black Ops edition."

I would imagine that they would be much better off with something like this:
    Sanyo - Taho

Sure, give it some more power, add some simple apps, and a bigger screen... But the simple ability to survive combat conditions will win it far more points than having a bunch of crazy fart-machine apps in downtown Baghdad!
    First really Doolittle?
    Anyways obviously they won't use it without a good case and they will probably have a battery pack. If the battery is the problem than any phone is. Also a bigger screen is not a solution. Portability matters and battery life.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    First really Doolittle?
    Anyways obviously they won't use it without a good case and they will probably have a battery pack. If the battery is the problem than any phone is. Also a bigger screen is not a solution. Portability matters and battery life.
    First: Yes, Doolittle, it was supposed to be funny. Lighten up.

Second: They WILL get abused, just because they are at war, doesn't mean they become robots who never break rules. They have Court-marshals for a reason.

Third: Screen size will count if you're trying to view images streaming from a predator drone for recon purposes, and battery life will always be an issue for every cordless electronic device, period, even with "battery packs" they eventually run out.

Fourth: You completely skipped clicking the link and checking out the phone that I said would be a better fit. Before you try and tear someone down for a joke, due diligence is required. Read the whole post, and go buy a sense of humor while you're at it.
    It's where you are.

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

Enemies have 2 targets now, kill our soldiers and take their iPhones....

Thanks

Default convoys
    one word CREW jammers with every vehicle from the mrap to the jerrvs to the hmmv they all have jammers so if you were to have any sort of cell phone you wouldnt be able to make a call while on a convoy period...I have been in the NAVY seabees for 10 years and have had plenty of experience with this issue and the only place this would be of any use would be on camp. or on patrols.
    16gb iPhone4 black

If I helped you in anyway please hit thank you.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by candypaint View Post
    This is a dumb idea.

They have plenty of technology to expand on. They do not need to go to smart phones in a combat field. Besides, certain equipment to jam signals are around. And everyone has probably watched 24 and know that computer nerds are everywhere and getting the technology is no problem now a days to initiate a cyber attack.

I don't see this evolving any further than this article.
    I have to agree with you, I think the army is better than current smart phones, they can't come up with anything else themselves than phone that made for the public?
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

It's funny how different this story is written depending on where you read it. Android forums paint in in such a way as to believe all soldiers will be getting android devices LOL. At the end of the day, whatever is more reliable and least expensive will probably make it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    First: Yes, Doolittle, it was supposed to be funny. Lighten up.

Second: They WILL get abused, just because they are at war, doesn't mean they become robots who never break rules. They have Court-marshals for a reason.

Third: Screen size will count if you're trying to view images streaming from a predator drone for recon purposes, and battery life will always be an issue for every cordless electronic device, period, even with "battery packs" they eventually run out.

Fourth: You completely skipped clicking the link and checking out the phone that I said would be a better fit. Before you try and tear someone down for a joke, due diligence is required. Read the whole post, and go buy a sense of humor while you're at it.
    I was joking too.... Lighten up....

Anyways i never meant it won't get abused, but it'll be there's. And I was saying a battery pack will make the battery life longer because a USB cable won't be too hard.

Screen size? If they wanted a tablet they would have said it. The bigger screen the more battery life taken. And the bigger the product. I was taking a portability terms.

Sorry I didn't check your link.
    I can't but whatever phone it is Probably a good choice if it's running android. I'll check it.

Thanks

This is just my opinion. Maybe we are looking at this wrong. I do see a place for smart phones in the military, but not everywhere. I seam to remember a long time ago there was an app designed for snipers to help calculate distance, windage, and other data related to calculating a shot. In these types of situations (say a sniper team out in the wild) a phone like device like an iphone or android, would be very helpful to see on a map where friends and foes are. The people making decisions back at camp, well they have better devices to handle all of this already. Out on the battle field, no way. I don't see any future for any mobile device like what is described on the front lines. I guess it's just a matter of what the job is. I have no doubt that the military is spending money on this. Thats no surprise. I doubt it will ever make it to the field on a mass scale.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    I was joking too.... Lighten up....

Anyways i never meant it won't get abused, but it'll be there's. And I was saying a battery pack will make the battery life longer because a USB cable won't be too hard.

Screen size? If they wanted a tablet they would have said it. The bigger screen the more battery life taken. And the bigger the product. I was taking a portability terms.

Sorry I didn't check your link.
    I can't but whatever phone it is Probably a good choice if it's running android. I'll check it.
    Nah, it's not running android, it's pretty basic as far as modern phones go, but the key is it's durability. If one of these companies can make a smart-phone version of the "toughbook" they will win the contract.

The other thing is that it would have to be a true global phone and also provide satellite signal for places without cell towers, or in jammed areas.

I'm not saying that it has to be as big as an iPad, that would be a pain in the *(rear)* for a phone, lol, just a small increase from current iPhone sizes.

Nothing the military issues belongs to the soldier, even the soldier is the property of the government. It's quite literally voluntary-paid-slavery.

Your post didn't look like a good natured jab, it looked like you were offended by what I said, sorry I took it wrong.
    It's where you are.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12