Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon 4G Modem Works With Mac, Linux

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Verizon 4G Modem Works With Mac, Linux

While you are waiting for a Verizon iPhone compatible with the carrier's 4G LTE network (ha ha ha ha ha ha ha), you can take advantage of 4G speeds on your Mac or Linux box now with the Pantech UML290 USB modem. The simple solution was posted on HowardForums Saturday night and has been making the rounds ever since. Though not officially supported by Verizon, the user who posted the original how-to says it "has been released publicly by VZW advanced support," whatever that means.

Neither of the two 4G modems available for Verizon's LTE network - the UML290 or LG's VL600 - is compatible with Mac OS X or Linux out of the box. More modems are promised "in the near future," but data hungry non-Windows people have been hard at work finding a solution for the existing devices. HowardForums user "willzzz" came up with the workaround solo or if Verizon Wireless Advanced support provided it, but it seems straightforward enough that it's a bit surprising Verizon wouldn't be offering it to customers if it's a tested solution. So there's likely to be more than a few bugs, but that's better than nothing if what you're after is the 5 to 12 Mb/s promised download speeds on Verizon's 4G system.

It's still necessary to use a Windows computer running VZAccess Manager in order to activate the modem. With the activated modem in the USB slot of your Mac, you should see it in the Network system preferences panel as an available connection. Under "Phone Number" you put the modem's connection number, which is available from VZAccess Manager or your online Verizon account info page. The Account Name is that number plus @vzw4g.com e.g. [email protected] of your number is 808-555-1212. Enter the password "vzw", then click Advanced. The "Vendor" should be set to "Generic," so no special parameters. Under "Model," choose GPRS (GSM/3G). The APN should be set to "vzwinternet" and if the CID doesn't default to "1", choose that from the drop-down box.

The modem is available for $99 after a $50 rebate if you choose a 2-year contract. Pricing starts at $50 a month for 5GB of data.

Source: Cult of Mac

seems to me the world is revolving around apple now. Once Verizon has acquired the iphone, their sales are gonna start to go up, which is gonna be all because of apple. And now a verizon modem specifically to work with mac(and linux) seems as if verizon is using apple to gain money

Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    seems to me the world is revolving around apple now. Once Verizon has acquired the iphone, their sales are gonna start to go up, which is gonna be all because of apple. And now a verizon modem specifically to work with mac(and linux) seems as if verizon is using apple to gain money
    But you still need a Windows PC to initially set it up.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Sweet if I ever want to get price raped by verizon I know I can do it with my Mac.
    [SIGPIC]

Hi Paul, the fact that you thought enough to credit someone with the discovery tells me your a stand up guy... so I am going to ask that you change the credit to credit he who deserves it. Please check the following link to see who posted what, and who did it first...

fair is fair, yes?

Re: 4G for mac - Verizon Wireless Community

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds cool but I don't think I'm going to pay that much to tether

Quote Originally Posted by tweaker360.com View Post
    Hi Paul, the fact that you thought enough to credit someone with the discovery tells me your a stand up guy... so I am going to ask that you change the credit to credit he who deserves it. Please check the following link to see who posted what, and who did it first...

fair is fair, yes?

Re: 4G for mac - Verizon Wireless Community
    I think he's just citing his source, right trying to figure out where the original came from, or is that how your supposed to do it?
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Hi Ruler, I appreciate the difficulty of sourcing, and I understand this is not Paul's Issue. The person who lifted my post, and reposted it the very first time should have credited me correctly. But since he didn't, ad every subsequent post on the net that shares my discovery attributes it to howard forums, and verizon advanced support is flat out wrong. I am simply asking for it to be corrected.

When we make discoveries like this and decide to share them, we're not doing it for money, we're doing it for other reasons. Those who reap the benefit should simply say thank you to the right people. Know what I mean?

On Windows with Verizon's 4G LTE service you get an IPv6 address and globally routable IPv6 access. Do you get an IPv6 address on Mac or Linux (visible in ifconfig on command line, _not_ one that starts with fe80. It should start with 2001 or higher.)

This worked great! However, I had to use #777 in the "Telephone Number" field instead of the phone number. Now, to test sharing thorugh parallels

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tweaker360.com View Post
    Hi Ruler, I appreciate the difficulty of sourcing, and I understand this is not Paul's Issue. The person who lifted my post, and reposted it the very first time should have credited me correctly. But since he didn't, ad every subsequent post on the net that shares my discovery attributes it to howard forums, and verizon advanced support is flat out wrong. I am simply asking for it to be corrected.

When we make discoveries like this and decide to share them, we're not doing it for money, we're doing it for other reasons. Those who reap the benefit should simply say thank you to the right people. Know what I mean?
    Even though I will never use Verizon I will thank you for your efforts because I too had to hack around an AT&T aircard to use it with Ubuntu 4 or 5 years ago and it was a huge pain. Kudos.