+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why Verizon Needs the iPhone More Than Apple Needs Verizon

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
A new analyst report shows an alarming drop in Verizon's smartphone sales beginning last summer, just as iPhone 4 sales took off, and all Verizon smartphone sales severely lagging the
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Why Verizon Needs the iPhone More Than Apple Needs Verizon

A new analyst report shows an alarming drop in Verizon's smartphone sales beginning last summer, just as iPhone 4 sales took off, and all Verizon smartphone sales severely lagging the iPhone. The numbers, which got big play on Fortune and the Wall Street Journal's All Things Digital site, may indicate why Verizon is now ready to play ball with Apple, after years of turning them down.

ITG Investment Research analyst Matthew Goodman's report underscored the well-known fact that Verizon has bet heavily on Android, showing that handsets based on Google's OS made up 80% of smartphone sales last month, with 46% of them being Motorola Droids. As recently as two years ago, RIM was bragging about how the BlackBerry was Verizon's best-selling device, but now they're below 20% at the largest US carrier. These numbers - which are apparently based on independent retailer reports and are not a leak as was initially reported - were also looked over by Horace Dediu at asymco, who uncovered another interesting trend. In the third quarter of this year, AT&T not only sold more iPhones than Verizon sold smartphones from every manufacturer, it also outsold them by a factor of nearly two to one. Fewer than 3 million smartphones of any kind were activated on Verizon in the third quarter, while AT&T activated more than 5 million iPhones.

This fact, probably more than any other reason, may have led Verizon to drop its hard-line stance and begin negotiating in earnest. According to most reports, Verizon came to the table in August of this year, right as smartphone sales began their tumble. A recent study indicates that Verizon may double its smartphone sales by bringing the iPhone on board. Since the carriers make their money in service fees, not handset sales, this would represent significant income for years.

Source: AllThingsD

Thanks

So its safe to say Big Red will do whatever it takes to get the iPhone on their network. Android has hit its plateau on their network.
    There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.~Peter F. Drucker

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Why is everyone surprised? This was inevitable. Verizon was banking that the iPhone 4 would suck or iPhones would lose their luster. On the other hand, iPhone 4 ended up being the best smartphone of its generation. Only the EVO can be named in the same breath and its on Sprint.

Thanks

I'm also really anxious to see how an iPhone 4 would perform on Verizon's network. I want to see if their bandwidth can back up all the hype.

I also believe the next iPhone will be 4G (probably LTE) and at least 4 inches long. As of matter of fact, I would bet a large lump sum of cash on it

Thanks

I really hope that they start carrying it so these bandwagon jumpres can can finally leave. AT&Ts problems come from a severely overloaded network, and People that stay with AT&T after Verizons release would really reap the benefits.

Our 3g is at times faster that T-Mobiles "4G".
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cpkirkley For This Useful Post:

DRFP (12-14-2010), Johnboy00 (12-15-2010), mbeezy81 (12-14-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post
    I really hope that they start carrying it so these bandwagon jumpres can can finally leave. AT&Ts problems come from a severely overloaded network, and People that stay with AT&T after Verizons release would really reap the benefits.

Our 3g is at times faster that T-Mobiles "4G".
    EXACTLY!!!

I'm not giving my simultaneous talk and data feature for no one. I've been using that on AT&T since the original Samsung Blackjack.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

wow thats very sad news for android, the iphone outsold all smartphones on verizon 2-fold thats pretty shocking. oh well welcome to the family verizon make sure u pump those iphone crush android commercials lol

Thanks

LOL at the thought of watching Verizon Commercials that bash android.

although on the flip side, once it hits you should be able to get the Incredible or the Droid X for like 69 cents...
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpkirkley View Post
    LOL at the thought of watching Verizon Commercials that bash android.

although on the flip side, once it hits you should be able to get the Incredible or the Droid X for like 69 cents...
    While that would be interesting and definitely a turn about change, I doubt you'll see these sorts of ads coming from Verizon. You'll see them for Apple but not VZW.

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

Simultaneous voice and data is a big plus for ATT. I wonder if AAPL has a hardware trick for VZ to simulate that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    for some reason At&t did not keep cingular as the name and used the tarnished At&t name........... I think all along thats why some jump to hate them, before they Bought Cingular, At&t rented time with others and it was terrible it has gotten better I have even had decent customer service, some people expect way too much at times, these people should not be kissing your butt any more then you do when you work.
    I agree!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rockness724 For This Useful Post:

DRFP (12-14-2010)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 565 Posts

This is the reason that Verizon has buyers regret! What a awful feeling it must be! A stupid move back then for Verizon! Goes to show you who the real business was back then...

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Green Apple
    Thanks

You mean iPhone 5. It wouldn't make any sense to re-introduce the iPhone 4, when the iPhone 5 is right around the corner.

Unless Apple launches the iPhone Universal (aka iphone 5) in Feb. and it's a CDMA/GSM/WiMax/LTE device. A phone like that would destroy AT&T.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJoey View Post
    You mean iPhone 5. It wouldn't make any sense to re-introduce the iPhone 4, when the iPhone 5 is right around the corner.

Unless Apple launches the iPhone Universal (aka iphone 5) in Feb. and it's a CDMA/GSM/WiMax/LTE device. A phone like that would destroy AT&T.
    Once Apple is out of contract with AT&T they might... however I don't think Apple would do that just yet to AT&T. They have been working pretty close all of these years together... just my thought!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Verizon and At&t both suck I had much better service in the UK
    You know those planes fly the other way also. All carriers have issues, all of them everywhere!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJoey View Post

I would love WiMAX on an iPhone but I see WiMAX in particular never happening.

lol I like both Iphone and Android,

Its BB I want to see crushed as Palm has been

Black Berry is pitiful with 15,000 apps
    Palm won't be crushed for long. If you don't know, HP bought them (yes I know their computers are crappy) but they are a gigantic tech company. They won't interfere with Palm as a business, they are just throwing tons of cash at them. WebOS is a fantastic OS and HP is throwing everything behind it. Palm will be back soon.
    Last edited by ty22; 12-14-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I can't wait to see the iphone on verizon although I really want it on t-mobile

haha was thinking about those Verizon Droids commercials were at the end they say "DROID"- in a robotic voice. I wonder what kind of commercial there gonna do with the iphone once it's on verizon HINT: "IPHONE"- in a robotic voice.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Silverado87's Avatar
    Thanks

My opinion is if Verizon goes to iPhone....great. More power to them. But how many HTCs are made and DROIDS are made and how many of them were announced iPhone killers?! They shouldve seen this coming a long time ago

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

for some reason At&t did not keep cingular as the name and used the tarnished At&t name........... I think all along thats why some jump to hate them, before they Bought Cingular, At&t rented time with others and it was terrible it has gotten better I have even had decent customer service, some people expect way too much at times, these people should not be kissing your butt any more then you do when you work.
    The AT&T name dates back way farther than Cingular and cellular/mobile phones, for that matter. They had a horrible cellular network when they started out. It has improved a great deal since then. Not saying it is good, but you should have been on AT&T about 10 years ago. Now THAT was god AWFUL!

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    Once Apple is out of contract with AT&T they might... however I don't think Apple would do that just yet to AT&T. They have been working pretty close all of these years together... just my thought!
    Right... Apple always plays nice with their "friends". The only problem is that to be their "friend" you have to make them more money than anyone else can. If not, you are the enemy...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 12-14-2010 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

As much as I hate Verizon and Sprint i think there should be an iPhone for every carrier, uncluding T-mobile. The more the the better. Less strain on AT&T's network and people who LOVE Verizon can go to their crappy *** service and Sprints Crappy *** customer service. Competition would be great for everyone who owned an iPhone as far as carriers and plans.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to vantheman169 For This Useful Post:

that_girl (12-16-2010)