+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why Verizon Needs the iPhone More Than Apple Needs Verizon

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I'm glad to see that Verizon isn't really selling as many smart-phones. They needed to be brought down a few notches. I must say. I'm surprised. I know that the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm glad to see that Verizon isn't really selling as many smart-phones. They needed to be brought down a few notches. I must say. I'm surprised. I know that the iPhone is the best smart-phone out there. However, let the media, w/all the Android craziness and numbers, you would think that Apple & AT&T just suck so bad. I personally don't have an issue w/AT&T. I just hope that in the end, AT&T will always have the iPhone. Regardless of whether it goes to Verizon, T-Mobile, or Sprint. AT&T is the carrier for me, and the iPhone will always be my cell phone. Word.

Thanks

Verizon's sales aren't just lagging behin AT&T's, Apple's sales are lagging behind a Verizon+AT&T Apple
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

For those of you who think Apple will leave AT&T behind, think again. Apple's best interest would be to get rid of exclusivity & have the iphone on every carrier. Verizon will get the iPhone but they still won't crush/destroy AT&T. I can't wait to see the iPhone expose Verizon's overhyped network & all of us who remain on AT&T will reap the benefits.

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

I've had both carriers. I had Verizon for ten years. My problem with them was "No iPhone", so I bought an unlocked iPhone and used TMobile. TMobile's service sucked!!! So I signed up with AT&T. To me, AT&T & Verizon are just as equal.
    I do want Verizon to get the iPhone though.... Just for the competition of service, And rates.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

I Hope Verizon Doesnt Get The iPhone, I hope sprint Gets it. I Dont mean to be a troll but verizon sucks IMO.
    [SIGPIC]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I hope Verizon does get the iPhone soon, it will immensely reduce the workload on AT&T's aging EDGE network, and allow for more consistent speeds and performance in the 3G network. This will hopefully allow AT&T to spend less on maintenance and more on upgrades (in areas without 3G) and a proper 4G network.

I do have a bone to pick with this article:

It was Apple who locked Verizon out, not the other way around. Apple made a strategic decision to use the AT&T network, because their GSM based network allowed Apple to deploy iPhones in more foreign markets than CDMA would have.

Both CDMA (Sprint, Verizon,) and GSM (AT&T, T-Mobile,) have their own advantages/disadvantages, but the real decision lies with which one can make the most money.

The only thing I can't figure out is why they didn't just make the iPhone a "global phone" in the first place, and include both (other than the obvious battery issue.) This would have allowed the phone to be used anywhere in the world that has a cellular tower (provided your carrier has an agreement with the tower owners for access.)

Bottom line: GSM gave them more global customers.

Source: Businessweek {iPhone network decision}
    Source: GSM vs. CDMA

Footnote: Nextel uses a different network technology by Motorola, dubbed "iDEN," or "Integrated Digital Enhanced Network," which is the backbone of TDMA. Interestingly, Boost Mobile also uses this network. TDMA is expected to be phased out starting in 2013 at the latest.
    Last edited by CynicalDriver; 12-14-2010 at 05:52 PM.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    CDMA has been rejected in many places around the world, if you travel a lot, it sucks to have a CDMA phone since you may not be able to use it besides the fact that its hard to unlock one for other carriers

GSM is a better system with the unlock
    Yes GSM is waaay better I love being able to swap phone is a matter of seconds, I had sprint and verizon, and I prefer ATT much much more. I like being able to put my sim from my iphone 4 (using micro to full size sim adapter) in my iphone 2G when im doing something that could result in me droping my phone or falling on it ect. with out it being a big procedure.
    [SIGPIC]

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

So what else is new? All Verizon has is Android phones and blackberries...the iPhone would do wonders for them!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    Yes GSM is waaay better I love being able to swap phone is a matter of seconds, I had sprint and verizon, and I prefer ATT much much more. I like being able to put my sim from my iphone 4 (using micro to full size sim adapter) in my iphone 2G when im doing something that could result in me droping my phone or falling on it ect. with out it being a big procedure.
    I completely agree with this! I like being able to take my sim card out and put it in another phone if I want, tons more freedom then CDMA!
    Last edited by steve-z17; 12-14-2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    I can't wait to see the iphone on verizon although I really want it on t-mobile

haha was thinking about those Verizon Droids commercials were at the end they say "DROID"- in a robotic voice. I wonder what kind of commercial there gonna do with the iphone once it's on verizon HINT: "IPHONE"- in a robotic voice.
    I think if Verizon makes an iPhone commercial, when refering to the droids, it should say "AVOID"

I'm not a fan of verizon, but I am a fan of shutting up all of droid fan boys.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,683 Times in 832 Posts

The only thing surprising here is that WebOS has made an appearance on that graph. I was in the Verizon store the other day and I didn't see one Pre or Pixi.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

In response to an earlier comment: IMO the only phones that can hold a candle to the iPhone 4 are the Galaxy S / Nexus S Android handsets. I'd have to go with the Nexus S because it will more than likely run a vanilla version of 2.3. I hate the HTC front ends.

We all know that Android will eventually become the most widely distributed mobile OS because of its creator (google) and the fact that it can be loaded up on almost any device. Its just common sense - however, no one specific Android will ever overthrow the iPhone. So basically we have another Microsoft/Apple scenario on our hands.

tim

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
    I also believe the next iPhone will be 4G (probably LTE) and at least 4 inches long. As of matter of fact, I would bet a large lump sum of cash on it
    Sorry but that's most likely not gonna happen. LTE still does not have any voice standard whatsoever which means that if AT&T were to get an LTE Phone next year it will either not have any voice standard in it (Meaning all you do is to buy a data plan and use your voice ip program of choice like Skype) or that Iphone will only work in the AT&T network and nowhere else.

Maybe in 2012 but it is highly unlikely to see it next year.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Something to consider. I have a nokia 2610 which is one of the most basic of basic candy bar phones with only really phone, SMS, and speakerphone. It never drops calls in the mountains like the iPhone does when I have the iPhone on EDGE only. Why is that? Also I have a cheapo motorola candybar phone on verizon and when in those same mountains it works fine for voice and text on 1XRTT which is like edge/GPRS but the CDMA version. Lastly when I had my droid incredible it also got crappy reception in the same places my iPhone did when it was on or off verizons 3G service.

Therefore I think it's just a hardware problem and verizon won't perform any better and I'll be sticking with AT&T as soon as I switch my other line over from verizon.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    Something to consider. I have a nokia 2610 which is one of the most basic of basic candy bar phones with only really phone, SMS, and speakerphone. It never drops calls in the mountains like the iPhone does when I have the iPhone on EDGE only. Why is that? Also I have a cheapo motorola candybar phone on verizon and when in those same mountains it works fine for voice and text on 1XRTT which is like edge/GPRS but the CDMA version. Lastly when I had my droid incredible it also got crappy reception in the same places my iPhone did when it was on or off verizons 3G service.

Therefore I think it's just a hardware problem and verizon won't perform any better and I'll be sticking with AT&T as soon as I switch my other line over from verizon.
    That phone is based on the classic Nokia "candybar" phones which always excelled in the reception department. They even suffered very little when the antenna stems were removed in favor of internal designs.

I still think they had the best reception of any phone to date.

The reason you can still get signal in those areas is hardware rather than network, yes. However, the features on those phones are so limited, by today's standards, that they are useless to anyone but the most basic user.

Rural areas have fewer towers, and as such newer phones have to work so hard to stay connected that you often can't communicate with anything less than three bars. You may receive fine, but you're often garbled to them.

There may be an FCC transmission regulation at play, but I am not sure. I know that the FCC put a cap on FM transmitters in 2007 or 2008, due to radio stations complaining that Satellite Radio users might bleed their feed over to cars nearby and block the station, which was more common than you'd think. Perhaps a similar event occurred with regards to cell phone transmissions.
    It's where you are.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

CynicalDriver - thank you that explains everything. i wondered why that happened but it makes sense now. aside from having to call/text and use speakerphone i really can live without the other features temporarily plus the battery life is infinitely better on the nokia obviously.

so let me ask this; are there any new phones with more features that will perform as well in less than ideal reception conditions?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    CynicalDriver - thank you that explains everything. i wondered why that happened but it makes sense now. aside from having to call/text and use speakerphone i really can live without the other features temporarily plus the battery life is infinitely better on the nokia obviously.

so let me ask this; are there any new phones with more features that will perform as well in less than ideal reception conditions?
    I honestly can't say with any level of certainty, I've pretty much had the iPhone (1, 3G, & 4) since it came out. I had no need to keep up with all the other stuff AT&T offered, because none of it compared in features.

I can say that the i4 gets much better reception than any previous model, despite all the grip-of-death issues. So I have seen a large improvement, though it's still not where it could be.

I used to swear by those old Nokia bricks, every time I switched to Motorola, Samsung, or Sanyo, I ended up giving the phone back within the 30 days because of reception issues.

I do like LG's performance, but their software and construction quality has gone WAY down. The LG CU-500 was an amazing device (owned one for 8 months, until the iPhone was released) and seemed to have the same reception as my old Nokia.

The problem is that phone manufacturers have pretty much resigned themselves to two ideas:

1) Quality doesn't matter: Insurance plans and 2-year, or less, renewal timeframes mean the phones can be less rugged.

2) Features are more important than reception. Less investment in antenna design, and more in feature implementation.

All I can say is, good luck, and take advantage of the 30 day grace period you have when upgrading. If you don't like it, take it back and try another one. The 30 days refreshes every time you trade-in.
    It's where you are.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 737 Posts

There's too many reasons to list.
    My latest theme - -

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    As much as I hate Verizon and Sprint i think there should be an iPhone for every carrier, uncluding T-mobile. The more the the better. Less strain on AT&T's network and people who LOVE Verizon can go to their crappy *** service and Sprints Crappy *** customer service. Competition would be great for everyone who owned an iPhone as far as carriers and plans.
    I agree. I would gladly go back to Verizon if they had the iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have had all iphones except iphone 4. I now have the Droid incredible after the original Droid as well as an ipod touch 4th Gen. Have seen the good and the bad on both sides and must say where android is lacking, it more than makes up in other areas as does the iphone. I've been waiting forever for verizon to get the iphone. Now that they might get it I no longer want it. It's too much of a hassle to jailbreak it everytime an update comes out. Still like to visit this forum to see what's new and to see about different Apps that were just released. Don't think I'll jailbreak my ipod touch since my Droid does everything else i need it to. Why did I get an ipod? It was a gift, and I do still like apple products. I'm not blinded by my loyalty like alot of people are on both sides.
    Last edited by Dukerdawg; 12-16-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Oops

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12