+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Toshiba and Apple Building New Factory for iPhone LCDs

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Toshiba Corp has announced plans to build a new LCD manufacturing plant for the production of small LCD monitors that will be used in portable devices. The new plant will
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Toshiba and Apple Building New Factory for iPhone LCDs

Toshiba Corp has announced plans to build a new LCD manufacturing plant for the production of small LCD monitors that will be used in portable devices. The new plant will cost Toshiba approximately 100 billion yen or $1.19 billion. This new plant will reportedly supply Apple with LCD monitors for future iPhone models.

Toshiba plans on building the plant early next year and for production of new LCD screens to start by the second half of 2011. The plant will manufacture low-temperature polysilicon LCD panels that are ideal for displaying high-resolution images. These new screens will presumably be Retina displays or similar and find there way into the next generation iPhone.

Currently, Toshiba manufactures these polysilicon LCD panels at another plant, but this facility is only capable of producing 8.55 million units a month. The new facility will double this amount when it opens next year. As an investor in this new manufacturing plant, Apple is sure to be the first to reap the rewards of this new factory.

Demand for Apple products is so high right now that factories manufacturing parts for them are currently running at capacity. This new facility should help to ease the strain on the supply chain when it is up and running at full capacity sometime next year.

Source: MacRumors

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Another year without AMOLED?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    If Apple is investing this heavily in LCD technology you can bet it'll be a few years, at least, before the iPhone goes down the LED road.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

at this rate I think Apple will never invest in samoled tech...same reason no company has announced any plans for large samoled hdtv's. I guess the tech is too expensive for these companies to invest with the exception of few here and there.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I hope they build this facility in loUiSiAna!

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Remember, the Galaxy S's SAMOLED has strengths and weaknesses. Compared to the iPhone 4's retina display it is about equal in that the Retina display does things better and the SAMOLED does things better.

If that makes any sense...

After doing some research (and seriously considering jumping to the Android ship) I must honestly say that the iPhone 4 as all of the strengths in the places that I want - and fulfills my expectations of an all-in-one/smartphone device.

I'm happy with the hardware and software of the i4 ---- after a jailbreak.

tim

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

SAMOLED have great color, I was looking at a galaxy s the other day and was amazed at how vibrant the colors were! The again the retina display at full brightness is pretty damn vibrant itself. Also the downside vs IPS LCD is that, at least in the case of the "retina" display, provides much crisper detail and pushed out higher resolutions faster though I bet we won't see a change in res for a few generations to avoid fragmentation or at least mitigate it. By then the lower res(3GS - ) will be phased out!

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

So much for a US facility...the plant will be in Ishikawa, Japan.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Hopefully the "new" LCD screen is comparable or even surpasses the Retina/AMOLED display. Because waiting that long for a nice screen like the iphone 4 has is gonna take some effort, i'm really looking forward to buying the new ipad 2.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Cool

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

cool so hopefully wont be a 3 week wait for iphones next generation

Thanks

Second half of 2011? Thats a lifetime in iPhone years
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Cmon Apple just use SAMOLED, it's the best type of screen out for a mobile phone, at least use OLED then! I don't want LCD, after seeing the Galaxy S and LED TV's, LCD sucks.

SAMOLED is the reason why the Samsung Galaxy S has such a nice screen, Nokia N8 used AMOLED too. The resolution of the Galaxy S is pretty high as well so iPhone's resolution doesn't look much better.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

its sooo stupid I keep hoping, just to be let down.
    [SIGPIC]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Honestly! If you need something better than Retina, buy a TV and carry that around with you.

iPhone 4's Retina display is excellent and will do just fine. It's already a higher resolution than our eyes can detect, what more do you want?

I have seen these AMOLED screens, and while they are a bit more vibrant, they are MUCH harder to see in direct sunlight.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.