+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Delta Installs Re-charging Stations at 19 Airports

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The holidays are some of the busiest travel days of the year and Delta Airlines has just made traveling with portable devices a little bit easier. Delta has announced that
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Delta Installs Re-charging Stations at 19 Airports

The holidays are some of the busiest travel days of the year and Delta Airlines has just made traveling with portable devices a little bit easier. Delta has announced that from now until early 2011, they will be installing re-charge stations at nineteen airports across the US. Traveler will soon begin to see these re-charging stations at all seven of Delta’s domestic hubs.

Delta Airlines plans on having at least two re-charging stations at each gate area. Every station will feature six standard 110-volt outlets and two USB ports, perfect for re-charging thirsty iOS devices between flights. If you’re a Delta Sky Club member, many locations will soon have re-charging pads as well, though you may have to ask for the appropriate adapter at the reception desk.

These new re-charge stations are part of Delta’s $2 billion investment to improve airports around the country. Delta hopes that making these stations available to travelers will make flying a little bit easier. Best of all, these new stations will not cost travelers a dime. This is quite surprising considering how most airlines typically charge extra for just about everything nowadays. Hopefully, other airlines will follow suit as well and install similar charging stations at gate areas across the country. In the future, hopefully, long layovers will no longer mean dead devices and boredom for travelers at the gate. Just plug in and juice up while you wait. Maybe Apple should expand into airport kiosks as well.

Source: Delta
    Last edited by Wiley John Wright; 12-12-2010 at 01:48 AM. Reason: moved the 2nd picture lower

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I like Delta, but I like them even more now I'm wondering though if there's going to be a line you have to wait in to charge your iOS device, like a Disneyland attraction...two ports per gate...one for my iPhone and the other for my iPod? I know something is better than nothing, but now a days everybody is has either an iPod, iPhone, or iPad while traveling.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I like Delta, but I like them even more now I'm wondering though if there's going to be a line you have to wait in to charge your iOS device, like a Disneyland attraction...two ports per gate...one for my iPhone and the other for my iPod? I know something is better than nothing, but now a days everybody is has either an iPod, iPhone, or iPad while traveling.
    Very very true, I always have my iPhone and MacBook when I travel. But aleast maybe having the chance to charge them depending on the wait is way better then nothing at all. I usually just plug my MacBook in on the plane and charge my iPhone from my MacBook.

The damn iPhone and iPad cables are too short to have it plugged into that pole unless you holding it up to use it.
    Last edited by Rob2G; 12-12-2010 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone cookbenj's Avatar
    Thanks

the man with the ipad looks well smug there compared to the guy with the smart phone haha
    dont you hate it when someones signature looks like someones post?

what a game

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

At the airport where I work at the gate area they already had these b4 delta installed theirs

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

There will be two stations per gate. Each station has two USB ports and 6 power outlets. That means 4 USB ports and 12 power outlets per gate.

Thanks

Orlando International Airport has had these for ages. And they are very handy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone j.eck.art.3d's Avatar
    Thanks

Many airports have already installed similar stations themselves. I was using recharging stations for free as early as 2 years ago. But I am glad to see that delta will be adding more of them!
    I would love to see more carriers install standard outlets or recharging USB docks onboard aircraft though. That would really be sweet. Unfortunately they only offer these to business class and higher.
    And while I'm on a wish-list kick; more onboard wifi! I have only ever flown on 3 or 4 planes that were equipped with it, and yes, I had to pay for it, but it was well worth it! Would free be better? Of coarse, but to have the capabilities to stream netflix, make voip calls, check email, etc is really nice when you're cruising at 30,000 ft. for 5 - 10 hours (even if you have to cough up 10 - 20 bucks for it).

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

What I need is free wifi at the airport.

Thanks

This really isn't that huge. USB outlets are getting pretty big. I'm helping my dad install a few in the house over Christmas.

Thanks

Why would you have an iPhone and an iPod?

Is this the same air travel company that put in those iPads in their restaurants?

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't see what is so newsworthy about this one. As previous posts have stated, most terminals I go through when flying already have charging stations installed (and for quite a while, too). For the ones that don't, I have become a master at seeking out electrical outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    The damn iPhone and iPad cables are too short to have it plugged into that pole unless you holding it up to use it.
    Yeah, most of the ones I come across have a small shelf going around them that allows you to set your phone/ipod down while it's charging, as long as you keep an eye on it.
    Last edited by mortopher; 12-12-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Why would you have an iPhone and an iPod?

Is this the same air travel company that put in those iPads in their restaurants?
    Because I don't keep all my music on my iPhone, I use that space for other things

Quote Originally Posted by center_99_99 View Post
    There will be two stations per gate. Each station has two USB ports and 6 power outlets. That means 4 USB ports and 12 power outlets per gate.
    Lol I know, that's why I said "one for my iPhone and one for my iPod"
    Last edited by steve-z17; 12-12-2010 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    I don't see what is so newsworthy about this one. As previous posts have stated, most terminals I go through when flying already have charging stations installed (and for quite a while, too). For the ones that don't, I have become a master at seeking out electrical outlets.

Yeah, most of the ones I come across have a small shelf going around them that allows you to set your phone/ipod down while it's charging, as long as you keep an eye on it.
    The topic of the thread is Delta has now installed the charging......

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Really???
    Nothing says charging stations like "OH ****!!! I left my USB cord & charger back at the airport" while you're taking off

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T0X1CAT3D View Post
    Nothing says charging stations like "OH ****!!! I left my USB cord & charger back at the airport" while you're taking off
    Haha so true

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is a step in the right direction. I hate how when I fly it's a fight to find a place to plug in that doesn't cost money. Many times I spend my layovers in a corner or hallway not near any seats to charge up for the next flight.

My favorite is when I find a place to plug in near a seat. I almost feel like i should try and sell the spot to the energy vultures that hover by in hopes that I unplug and/or leave.

Thanks
    What a thumbs up to get robbed.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Nothing in life is easy.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psychodave View Post
    This is a step in the right direction. I hate how when I fly it's a fight to find a place to plug in that doesn't cost money. Many times I spend my layovers in a corner or hallway not near any seats to charge up for the next flight.

My favorite is when I find a place to plug in near a seat. I almost feel like i should try and sell the spot to the energy vultures that hover by in hopes that I unplug and/or leave.
    Coming from a person who has been to many a crowded terminal with these things already in it, trust me, you would probably rather just sit in the hallway. These things are always overcrowded and every single person sitting there thinks they need to have a phone conversation while they are charging up. That coupled with the fact that you are shoulder to shoulder makes sitting on the floor away from everyone a much nicer experience IMO. I always look for the open wall jacks and use these kiosks as a LAST resort!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Time to go to the airport to charge my iPod