+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia for the Mac "Within Weeks"

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Following the runaway success of Cydia on iOS - with 10% of all iPhone users, about ten million people, having used the marketplace at least once - Jay "saurik" Freeman
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Cydia for the Mac "Within Weeks"

Following the runaway success of Cydia on iOS - with 10% of all iPhone users, about ten million people, having used the marketplace at least once - Jay "saurik" Freeman is planning to bring Cydia to the Mac OS X platform very soon. At the 360 MacDev conference yesterday, Jay said the new app store would be ready for the Mac "within weeks," positioning it to go head to head with the Apple Mac App Store expected sometime in January.

Jay has been evangelizing the Cydia vision for some time now, with high-profile talks at TED and elsewhere. Rather than merely an alternative to the iTunes App Store, Cydia is positioned as a resource for users to customize their devices to work in the way their owners want them to work. In his talk at 360 MacDev, Jay talked about Cydia, detailed cycript and Cydia Substrate, and took Apple to task for their restrictive policies and the poor quality of developer documentation.

His description of the Cydia Store for Mac was general, but presumably would give users easy access to tools similar to the tweaks available on iOS Cydia as well as useful apps free from Apple restrictions. Jay encourages developers who are interested in using Cydia for the Mac to distribute their products to contact patrick at saurikit dot com for details.

Source: TUAW

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

ashrafkhalifa (12-11-2010), bengtzzon (12-12-2010), Buffolus (12-11-2010), CaryDude (12-11-2010), eyefone4949 (12-12-2010), Funked (12-12-2010), phylo515 (12-12-2010)

Thanks

Now that's exciting.
    Internet killed the video star.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,871 Times in 6,897 Posts

Ya, I wonder what kind of things they can come up with.

iPhone? More like MyPhone LanCo Rider's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh hell yea

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

3 words
    That is Awesom

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I hope it will be a lot easier for the dev team and Cydia to work on the mac platform as apposed to the nazi like attitude Apple has on the mobile products. Only time will tell.

Theme Creator
    Thanks

I don't get what the point is... a google search yields many tweaks for customization. I guess a Mac Cydia could unify everything, but that's pretty much all it would be good for in my eyes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SirTimothy1 For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (12-12-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 14,871 Times in 6,897 Posts

Would have the same point as the app store for Mac. Bring everything into one place for easier access, installation etc.

Thanks

While I'm sure it will be nice, Developers can pretty much already do whatever we want them to do to our Macs. Just because the AppStore is coming and has limits doesn't mean that our computers are already in jail—they really aren't. Oh well, I can think of one source I'd want Cydia for Mac to handle.

Thanks

Cydia for Mac?! I never expected something like this. I can't wait to see some competition!
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Frankly i cant wait, the possibilities are endless

Thanks

Can u restore a Mac to factory settings because if u can't I would probably stick to the AppStore on this one. My2c

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Mac already an open source platform? And cant you already install programs on Mac? So why would there be a need for Cydia for Mac, let alone a Mac app store.?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamic View Post
    Can u restore a Mac to factory settings because if u can't I would probably stick to the AppStore on this one. My2c
    Just remove it....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SirTimothy1 View Post
    I don't get what the point is... a google search yields many tweaks for customization. I guess a Mac Cydia could unify everything, but that's pretty much all it would be good for in my eyes.
    Cydia is a user-friendly app, and is a base for tweaks. If you were to install tweaks separately via an internet browser, there would be many compatibility issues between different versions of OSX and different tweaks.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'll pass on Cydia for mac thanks. Mac OS X is already open and I can get any app I want already.
    Probably pass on the Mac App Store too.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

^ Means you don't support the companies or people.... and that is something to brag about?

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Mac already an open source platform? And cant you already install programs on Mac? So why would there be a need for Cydia for Mac, let alone a Mac app store.?
    I agree. The only purposes for the app store for mac are 1. for apple to get a cut and 2. just to have a central location to go to shop for software. Cydia for iOS allows users to primarily download themes, etc. to customize there i-devices. There is no need for this ability on the Mac. It also allows developers to sell their software when apple wouldn't allow their software on the app store. Ditto, sell it directly.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    ^ Means you don't support the companies or people.... and that is something to brag about?
    Why does that mean he doesn't "support the companies or people." I buy tons of junk off of Cydia and I donate to free projects as well. But I just don't see the point of Cydia for OS X either.

Thanks

I guess the Mac is the final frontier for Cydia, since it's on every other Apple Product
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast