Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak Detection API Dropped from iOS 4.2

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Jailbroken for life!
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    Ok. So this is probably one of the most educated conversations ive had on this website. Considering the first post is always

"1st post"

But ALEXEVO you had me saying "yes, yes, yes" while reading your above above post ^^^^^^

And yeah, If you ever notice when you go to click a news story its always like

25000 views and 26 replies
    It doesn't matter if you post or not, I've been on plenty of sites to figure out an issue real quick without posting on their forum, that doesn't mean I'm not part of the "community". We have Guide sections on this site that jailbreakers can come on and look at without posting anything, that doesn't mean they're not in the community. I think if you're trying to make your phone better or customizing it to your liking then you're part of the community.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

DRFP (12-11-2010)

Thanks

The main reason people jailbreak is to steal apps. I know there are the "noble" people here on the forums, but you're the minority.

Apple should spend it's time creating a way to lockdown apps, and then they could throw in the towel on the cat and mouse game.

After all, that's what this is about. The 30% they're missing from the cracked apps....
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
    The main reason people jailbreak is to steal apps. I know there are the "noble" people here on the forums, but you're the minority.

Apple should spend it's time creating a way to lockdown apps, and then they could throw in the towel on the cat and mouse game.

After all, that's what this is about. The 30% they're missing from the cracked apps....
    You're right, It would stop apple from losing lots of money, and lower the amount of jailbreakers. Plus we would be able to lose many of the "immoral jailbreakers"

Quote Originally Posted by DRFP View Post
    Steve nice to see ya! Seriously what a load of moral Bull.
    If that was the case then developers on Cydia would be making zip.

I think this kind of generality is ugly and pure bias, please lets be intelligent, Two main reasons to jailbreak

1. To use the GSM phone on another network like TMobile
    2. To use apps like Bite SMS (Apple would never approve it as is)
    and
    3. To use themes and Lock screen enhancements

To use for "Stealing?" I and other Jailbreakers should take offense to this crap you posted.................

No they are wrong and its offensive, most do not do it to steal.
    Not most, but still a big number

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    It doesn't matter if you post or not, I've been on plenty of sites to figure out an issue real quick without posting on their forum, that doesn't mean I'm not part of the "community". We have Guide sections on this site that jailbreakers can come on and look at without posting anything, that doesn't mean they're not in the community. I think if you're trying to make your phone better or customizing it to your liking then you're part of the community.
    Steve, you are using the resources of this forum so therefore you are part of the community. You posted. That makes you part of the community. Haha so in other words I really have no idea what you were getting at with that comment but by posting it you became part of the community. I never said the MMi community I said the iDevice community. So I guess this is welcome to the community.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Whatever happened to jailbroken iPhones being able to be used to crash cell phone towers and bring down the network infrastructure?

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Whatever happened to jailbroken iPhones being able to be used to crash cell phone towers and bring down the network infrastructure?
    Ha! I remember when they all tried that!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Just like drfp said. I paid for iblacklist even though I'm sure it's available on ********** now for free because AT&T does a crappy job of it and charges $5 a month whereas iblacklist is $12 for a lifetime license and does a phenomenal job.

Same with mywi for those of us lucky enough to be grandfathered in with our unlimited data plans as opposed to at&ts crap tethering and insane monthly cost. AT&T has 2 choices, improve their network to the point that the tethering cost is actually worth it or drop the cost of tethering significantly.

This means that if we jailbreak our Factory Unlocked iPhone 4's, we wont loose our warranty?

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ameerkhan View Post
    This means that if we jailbreak our Factory Unlocked iPhone 4's, we wont loose our warranty?
    And probably will be forever...

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post

I don't want to steal the apps, If I want to steal, I will steal the iPhone.....

If I can't consumer rights rebalance my iphone, I'm moving to android

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JacquesChirac For This Useful Post:

DRFP (12-11-2010), Rob2G (12-11-2010)

Wait, are some people here saying that if Apple wanted they could stop jailbreaking? That's like saying they could make an OS immune to viruses and hacking. A Mac ISN'T immune to hacking, people. Maybe they're more secure, but it's not like that's the only reason they hardly get viruses. Another reason is there's not as many Macs to steal data from as PC's. iDevice consumer rights rebalancing will come to an end when all talented white-hat (meaning non-malicious) hackers leave the scene.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Zokunei For This Useful Post:

DRFP (12-11-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    Fine. Have it your way. Lol.

I have to restore 4.1 on miphone, something from cydia is causing issues(folder enhancer I think). Thankfully pwnage tool rebalances my consumer rights in 10 minutes.
    what was your phone doing? I just restored mine yesterday. I had folder enchancers too but i didnt redownload it yet.

Mac is more secure because there are only a few who care to write the viruses for them.

How many phones have you heard of viruses on them?

I have yet to see "New Phone virus threatens consumers"

not saying its not possible but.... the only thing I have read was that phones with infrared/beaming and wirelessly could be hacked into that way
    What? That's what I said, the main reason Macs are more secure is because there are less of them to hack, meaning less of banking data and similar incentives for hackers. I was using it as an example because jailbreaks are kind of like viruses in the way that they inject unauthorized (just non-malicious) code. So saying jailbreaks can come to an end - which is what I interpreted some posts as saying - is like saying Apple can make an unhackable OS.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So is that API the reason why Skype knows if you're device has been modified and that notification pops up?

Yeah I was agreeing with you
    Oh sorry, when you started talking about phone viruses I thought you completely misunderstood what I said.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    The reason I only consider the community to be those of us that post on various forums help with our jailbroken or non-jailbroken devices is because that is what a community does. Those that don't ask for help, talk about it, or contribute aren't really part of the community in my opinion. We always talk about what the iDevice community wants and we can gauge pretty well what we feel the community wants based on posts and popularity of new ideas or changes that should be made that are posted on forums. That is why I consider the iDevice community to be those that at least discuss ideas or ask for help or try to provide solutions, etc. not just everyone who happens to own an iphone, ipad, or ipod touch.

That is the problem though. The surveys don't say where they got their information from or how many people were involved. The smaller the sample size you get the less likely you are to find one of those people being a jailbreaker unless you surveyed people who almost exclusively frequent MMi for example in which case you'll probably have 10 out of 10 or 9 out of 10 being jailbreakers. Plus depending on where these people took the survey FROM(home, office, etc.) they may not have answered truthfully because their internet traffic could be monitored. It might be a far-fetched idea but it still probably has quite a bit of truth to it. Either way 5% of iPhone owners with a jailbroken phone is still MILLIONS of people. Furthermore, if people knew how safe jailbreaking is and how many apps are available to enhance their lives that aren't available on the app store then that number would likely go up significantly. The problem here is education of those who aren't jailbroken in the pros and cons.

Perfect example is my buddy who has a non-jailbroken iPhone 4 on firmware 4.0.1. I recently found out he isn't jailbroken and since I'll probably be getting his iP4 sometime around june when the new one comes out then he let me cache his SHSH blobs for 4.1(since it was past the signing cutoff for any firmware before that). 4.1 still has all the capabilities of running the apps I have on my 3GS with 4.0 on it so I'm not worried. Anyway, after I showed him apps like iBlacklist, MyWi, xGPS, etc. he was sold on jailbreaking and this afternoon I'll be performing the jailbreak for him so he can see how it is done. If people had more information on it then there would be more jailbreakers and Apple would sell more iPhones.

Just like the gentleman a few posts above me, if I couldn't jailbreak then I never would have bought an iPhone. Period.
    What are you talking about? There's nothing wrong with jailbreaking, the only thing I can think of is that if you jailbroke a company phone, and the employer doesn't understand the full potential and purpose of jailbreaking (unless you work for apple)

Mac is more secure because there are only a few who care to write the viruses for them.

How many phones have you heard of viruses on them?

I have yet to see "New Phone virus threatens consumers"

not saying its not possible but.... the only thing I have read was that phones with infrared/beaming and wirelessly could be hacked into that way
    I'm sure people would counter security issues with jailbroken phones with MSS and Cydia. For instance, there was a cydia tweak to patch up the 4.0/4.0.1 PDF exploit used in JailbreakMe that was patched by apple in iOS 4.0.2/3.2.2
    Last edited by yelow13; 12-11-2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

And I have always wondered........PDF
    How and what was the danger? A PDF was going to do what to my phone?

Make a Call?
    Send a Text?
    Crash it?

What? What was the real danger? I have never heard of a problem with PDF's

You see I do not buy that these found exploits are a true threat.
    All these years I think most of this stuff is hype, there are only a few people in the world who even know how and what to exploit ( Like Apple developers), this means that they are easy to catch, no?

The only things Apple seem to care about all this time is allowing more features ( I can't believe they are still "Developing" them I think they had a list of possible features and add them a few at time ) by taking time releasing the features they could then see what the JB did so they could focus on the real reason for Upgrades, "Security" to close the exploits used by JB. To apple the real threat is Cydia, open platform, IOS is meant to be exclusive (Monopoly) to Apple control and the App store.
    Well, Star (the name of the jailbreak) gained root access on your phone, executed unauthorized code, and installed a program. Imagine what could happen if the hackers weren't playing nice with that security hole? They could literally delete core operating system files and make you restore. Since they could gain root access and write data, I'm sure they could remove it. Not to mention they could probably beam data including password caches to their servers (just guessing here). Short and to the point, they could most likely do ANYTHING since the jailbreak compromised the OS to run unauthorized code, there's no limit to what they could do. Maybe they could even write a key logger for it and steal very sensitive passwords and information.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast