Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak Detection API Dropped from iOS 4.2

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    Jailbreaking is an old term, we should call it Consumer Rights Rebalancing.
    Here's an idea let's call it the JiPhone
    Or UiPhone
    Even a step further the Ji3GS

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

That survey is incorrect.. Where did they get the info from? Online? Only asked people who go to their website.. what if its a dominant non-jailbroken users go their. Not only that but those statistics are over a year old before the release of the ipad. And not to mention all those companies that wont allow their employees to jailbreak. So take away all those iphones and your probably left with a much high substantial number. MMI is for jail breaking and we have now 778,654 people. Now i'm willing to bet 99% of people have their iOS w/e it is jailbroken or why be on this site. So your telling me apple isnt going to lose out huge if jailbreaks go away. Dont kid yourself and iphone costs $699 multiply that by 778,654 people. Ha! not to mention that but i own 2 iphones and an ipad. Legit those would be both on the ebay within 10mins if i knew jailbreaking was existent. But apple knows that as much as i do. Now all we need to do next is find out which namer tag is steve jobs using on MMI.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

It isn't really that hard to detect a jailbreak. Apps from the App Store have been doing it for a while
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Banned
    Thanks

lol, that sounds nice.

Thanks

yes im sure Steve is here
    hey Steve if you can read this all i want is a ferrari 458 italia

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    That survey is incorrect.. Where did they get the info from? Online? Only asked people who go to their website.. what if its a dominant non-jailbroken users go their. Not only that but those statistics are over a year old before the release of the ipad. And not to mention all those companies that wont allow their employees to jailbreak. So take away all those iphones and your probably left with a much high substantial number. MMI is for jail breaking and we have now 778,654 people. Now i'm willing to bet 99% of people have their iOS w/e it is jailbroken or why be on this site. So your telling me apple isnt going to lose out huge if jailbreaks go away. Dont kid yourself and iphone costs $699 multiply that by 778,654 people. Ha! not to mention that but i own 2 iphones and an ipad. Legit those would be both on the ebay within 10mins if i knew jailbreaking was existent. But apple knows that as much as i do. Now all we need to do next is find out which namer tag is steve jobs using on MMI.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley John Wright View Post

Lets hope not because I would hate too loose all of my favorite jailbreak apps.
    Should be "lose."

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Saurik has said many times the number is close to 10%, which is still tons of iPhones.

Quote Originally Posted by chris-tt View Post
    ..........They would also lose the benefit of having 10% of there customers willingly beta test new ideas that they didn't even think up, but often end up in the next iOS release.
    This in a nutshell is why i believe jailbreaking actually still survives with apple demonizing it. They secretly condone it.

Quote Originally Posted by LearningMan View Post
    I love it when I see the cheer boys say things like this. Tell the DTV and Dish guys that. It CAN be locked. Believing anything any differently simply shows a lack of knowledge on the subject matter.
    He's kinda right right unfortunately. Dave has been pretty much untouchable since they changed to the P4 access card in what, 2004?

From what I hear a solution may exist, but it's very private. That crowd has kind of moved on...

It's always possible that Apple can lock us out, that is their goal after all.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Original quote that vantheman was accusing of being wrong and not true is here:

If apple kills the jailbreak they hurt their bottom line, ALOT of people buy iphones to jailbreak and unlock them.
    Here is vantheman's response to Rob2G:

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    Actually thats where your wrong, most people don't jailbreak their devices. Jailbreakers are a very small portion of the iDevice community. As many iPhones that are out there i read somewhere that less than 10% of iphone users jailbreak so this statement is not true at all.

What Percentage of iPhones Are Jailbroken? Less Than 10 Percent? | iSource

Lastly, here is my response because I felt like it:

Thats why we jailbreak so we can do the things we want on iDevices, but you ask the average iPhone user and most of them have never even heard of jailbreaking and/or dont want to cuz they think its unsafe and messes up their device.
    Since we're pointing out where people are wrong. First, here is where YOU are wrong. He said "a lot" not "most" "the majority" "all" or anything else that implies a more than 50% group thereof.

Second, posting a link to a single survey that could have any unknown number of honest/dishonest participants, an unknown variable which is how many people frequent that site that may happen to be those that either don't jailbreak or don't know how is in and of itself, inaccurate. Add that to the fact that even 9% (which is less than 10% if you are mathematically-challenged) of all the iPhones out there is STILL a lot of iPhones. Millions, to be exact. That doesn't even include people like myself and many others that own more than 1 iPhone as well as people who own iPads that are jailbroken which use iOS and thus fall under the same umbrella.

Third, if you specify the iDevice "community" as the actual owners of the phones that is one thing but if you define, as I do, the iDevice "community" as the people who frequent forums asking for help with their iDevice or talking about their own personalization then I am VERY sure the jailbroken higher is upwards of 80% or 90% because otherwise you likely wouldn't be on the forums.
    Last edited by alexevo; 12-11-2010 at 10:58 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alexevo For This Useful Post:

Rob2G (12-11-2010), yelow13 (12-11-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Actually thats where your wrong, most people don't jailbreak their devices. Jailbreakers are a very small portion of the iDevice community. As many iPhones that are out there i read somewhere that less than 10% of iphone users jailbreak so this statement is not true at all.

Thats why we jailbreak so we can do the things we want on iDevices, but you ask the average iPhone user and most of them have never even heard of jailbreaking and/or dont want to cuz they think its unsafe and messes up their device.

Yeah but apple gets all their iOS feature ideas from Cydia tweaks, so they would be lost witout jb devs.

I like it
    iPhone 4 4.2.1 Untethered

actually they were playing cat and mouse way before the app store was introduced. I purchased my first iphone in June of 07. It was jailbroken by september. The appstore was not introduced until the iphone 3g which was a year later

......epic

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    Original quote that vantheman was accusing of being wrong and not true is here:

Here is vantheman's response to Rob2G:

Since we're pointing out where people are wrong. First, here is where YOU are wrong. He said "a lot" not "most" "the majority" "all" or anything else that implies a more than 50% group thereof.

Second, posting a link to a single survey that could have any unknown number of honest/dishonest participants, an unknown variable which is how many people frequent that site that may happen to be those that either don't jailbreak or don't know how is in and of itself, inaccurate. Add that to the fact that even 9% (which is less than 10% if you are mathematically-challenged) of all the iPhones out there is STILL a lot of iPhones. Millions, to be exact. That doesn't even include people like myself and many others that own more than 1 iPhone as well as people who own iPads that are jailbroken which use iOS and thus fall under the same umbrella.

Third, if you specify the iDevice "community" as the actual owners of the phones that is one thing but if you define, as I do, the iDevice "community" as the people who frequent forums asking for help with their iDevice or talking about their own personalization then I am VERY sure the jailbroken higher is upwards of 80% or 90% because otherwise you likely wouldn't be on the forums.
    I don't think the idevice community is only people wh frequently post in forums, it's everyone. That's why it's called a community. And I've seen quite a few surveys showing a percentage of people who are jailbroken and it's always been between 6-9%. More than that many people know what jailbreaking is, but dont think they need it. Tons of people I know jailbreak only for the "free apps". If I could get something like SBSettings without jailbreak, I wouldn't be doing it myself

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    I don't think the idevice community is only people wh frequently post in forums, it's everyone. That's why it's called a community. And I've seen quite a few surveys showing a percentage of people who are jailbroken and it's always been between 6-9%. More than that many people know what jailbreaking is, but dont think they need it. Tons of people I know jailbreak only for the "free apps". If I could get something like SBSettings without jailbreak, I wouldn't be doing it myself
    The reason I only consider the community to be those of us that post on various forums help with our jailbroken or non-jailbroken devices is because that is what a community does. Those that don't ask for help, talk about it, or contribute aren't really part of the community in my opinion. We always talk about what the iDevice community wants and we can gauge pretty well what we feel the community wants based on posts and popularity of new ideas or changes that should be made that are posted on forums. That is why I consider the iDevice community to be those that at least discuss ideas or ask for help or try to provide solutions, etc. not just everyone who happens to own an iphone, ipad, or ipod touch.

That is the problem though. The surveys don't say where they got their information from or how many people were involved. The smaller the sample size you get the less likely you are to find one of those people being a jailbreaker unless you surveyed people who almost exclusively frequent MMi for example in which case you'll probably have 10 out of 10 or 9 out of 10 being jailbreakers. Plus depending on where these people took the survey FROM(home, office, etc.) they may not have answered truthfully because their internet traffic could be monitored. It might be a far-fetched idea but it still probably has quite a bit of truth to it. Either way 5% of iPhone owners with a jailbroken phone is still MILLIONS of people. Furthermore, if people knew how safe jailbreaking is and how many apps are available to enhance their lives that aren't available on the app store then that number would likely go up significantly. The problem here is education of those who aren't jailbroken in the pros and cons.

Perfect example is my buddy who has a non-jailbroken iPhone 4 on firmware 4.0.1. I recently found out he isn't jailbroken and since I'll probably be getting his iP4 sometime around june when the new one comes out then he let me cache his SHSH blobs for 4.1(since it was past the signing cutoff for any firmware before that). 4.1 still has all the capabilities of running the apps I have on my 3GS with 4.0 on it so I'm not worried. Anyway, after I showed him apps like iBlacklist, MyWi, xGPS, etc. he was sold on jailbreaking and this afternoon I'll be performing the jailbreak for him so he can see how it is done. If people had more information on it then there would be more jailbreakers and Apple would sell more iPhones.

Just like the gentleman a few posts above me, if I couldn't jailbreak then I never would have bought an iPhone. Period.
    Last edited by alexevo; 12-11-2010 at 11:25 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok. So this is probably one of the most educated conversations ive had on this website. Considering the first post is always

"1st post"

But ALEXEVO you had me saying "yes, yes, yes" while reading your above above post ^^^^^^

And yeah, If you ever notice when you go to click a news story its always like

25000 views and 26 replies

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    I really wish Apple would negotiate with us the way Microsoft negotiated with their jailbreak community. I would pay an annual fee for root access and developer privileges like MS offers... Everything would work so much more smoothly if we were all working together instead of against each other...

tim
    You shouldn't have to pay the manufacturer for the right to use YOUR phone the way you want to!

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I also think many don't jailbreak because they feel that if something goes wrong and Apple knows they have did so then Apple will not guarantee the phone if its still under guarantee.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Quote Originally Posted by rob2g View Post
    jailbreaking is an old term, we should call it consumer rights rebalancing.
    lol!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast