+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Future iPhones May Feature Advanced Contextual Voice Commands

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
For months we've all dissected patent applications while simultaneously digesting rumors pointing to the same end - plans to make future generation iPhones all about improved security and advanced user
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Future iPhones May Feature Advanced Contextual Voice Commands

For months we've all dissected patent applications while simultaneously digesting rumors pointing to the same end - plans to make future generation iPhones all about improved security and advanced user functionality. Today, further evidence suggests Apple is preparing future generations of the iPhone to be far more sophisticated than any model thus far, particularly with regard to voice commands. Our friends at Apple Insider have uncovered an Apple patent application called "Contextual Voice Commands" the goal of which, ostensibly, is to improve the voice control of an iPhone/iPod touch and, subsequently, make the device more user friendly, reliable, and efficient.

Relying on a combination of quick physical inputs as well as voice commands, Apple's proposed system would allow for contextual input on an application-by-application basis. This would narrow the voice command possibilities in any given application, as opposed to a system-wide method that has a large number of options.
    Based on the language of the patent filing, Apple is looking to improve upon contextual voice commands to such a degree that a user can execute desired operations faster than by navigating through a set of nested menu items. Additionally, the patent reaches deep into artificial intelligence territory by looking to "teach the device" to predict the intent of the user based on the nature of the voice command provided. "Contextual voice commands can be more precise than conventional voice commands that merely control the device as a whole," the application states. "For example, different context specific voice commands can be implemented based on user activity or application in use."

Perhaps most exciting is the prospect of these developments being made accessible to developers. Third party applications could then be made to utilize the contextual voice commands. Based on information contained within the patent filing, an "API related to a contextual voice command module" could be easily shared with devs so they too could tinker with these advancements and incorporate said functionality into their creations.

Apple Insider

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (12-10-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Good cus the voice command on it now

Sucks

Thanks

Yes that is one thing I wish Apple would really improve. I hardly use it as it is now.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Voice command never works. I would say play the beatles and then the beastie boys would play. Yeah i think they should burn that patent. I do not know any company that has a voice recognition system that actually freakin works. Im sorry sometimes i get distextia while typing.
    Last edited by vindutch; 12-09-2010 at 12:07 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea I don't even use the voice command feature it's severely lacking

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This is the biggest thing I liked on Android. Will be nice to see something equal to (or better than) come to iOS.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It be great if it recognizes your voice, then if it is stolen you can just remote lock it until it hears your voice saying some sort of password, that would be great...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hmm, and I suppose once Apple releases "contextual voice commands," they will call it "NEW" and "INNOVATIVE!"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to llescaflownell For This Useful Post:

Dukerdawg (12-16-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    It be great if it recognizes your voice, then if it is stolen you can just remote lock it until it hears your voice saying some sort of password, that would be great...
    Lol I don't think they have something that advanced up their sleeve.

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

Great instead sitting on airplane listening to some idiot yell into what he thinks is his end of the tin can attached by string now I will have to listen to him yell at the phone for not understanding what he is saying.

Only way this could be a plus is if it also has bleepbleepbleephole detection built in and supplies enough of a jolt to put him to sleep for the duration of the trip.
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

iPhone? More like MyPhone PReCioSa's Avatar
    Thanks

ya I don't like it either :/ I think it should only work for the owners voice to.... with voice commands my 4 year old can make my phone do anything.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by llescaflownell View Post
    Hmm, and I suppose once Apple releases "contextual voice commands," they will call it "NEW" and "INNOVATIVE!"
    If it's works completely different than I guess they can say that
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!