Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon Rumored to Pay Up to Keep T-Mobile, Sprint iPhone-less

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Verizon Rumored to Pay Up to Keep T-Mobile, Sprint iPhone-less

Prominent Kaufman Bros. analyst Shaw Wu revealed Monday that his sources say Verizon is every bit as eager to keep the iPhone away from competitors as it is to add the Apple smartphone to its own network next year. According to Shaw, Verizon may "pay" Apple substantially to ensure such an arrangement. The move, however, would not be tantamount to Verizon paying off Apple to keep competition at bay. Instead, the arrangement would manifest as Verizon giving in to more of Apple's demands in the ongoing effort to expand iPhone's reach into Verizon territory in the United States.

"We are hearing that (Verizon) does not want iPhone, the hottest selling smartphone, available on T-Mobile USA and/or Sprint and may be willing to pay for exclusivity to itself and AT&T," Wu commented in a note to investors. "For these reasons, (Verizon) could be more willing to give in to Apple's terms." Of course, we don't know the specifics of those terms. But Business Insider reported Monday morning that Verizon is "willing to pay Apple a premium price per device to keep it off Sprint and T-Mobile." The iPhone subsidy from AT&T is widely believed to be roughly $400 per handset, the article notes.

In recent months, Apple has vastly broadened its network of retail and mobile associates. From expanding the retail outlets that carry iDevices to partnering with Verizon in the US to bring the iPad to Verizon customers, it will no longer come as an unfathomable shocker if, in fact, AT&T loses its iPhone exclusivity in the US at some point next year. While it now appears that carrier expansion is inevitable for the iPhone, the bigger question is just how far-reaching the carrier expansion will be.

Business Insider

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

If Apple wanted to blow the smartphone biz even more they would let T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T have the iPhone. That would be ideal!

exclusivity is the key to sales. everyone always wants what the things they cant get.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    If Apple wanted to blow the smartphone biz even more they would let T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T have the iPhone. That would be ideal!
    Yes it would. It'll force AT&T to bring its contract prices down

all i want for christmas is an iphone on tmobile is that to much to ask???

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iSteed View Post
    Yes it would. It'll force AT&T to bring its contract prices down
    I am not so sure. Verizon and ATT are neck and neck when it comes to costs. The big difference is that ATT no longrer offers an unlimited data plan, so the most one can get is 2GB a month for $25. That will probably change if other big players get the phone, but we will probably see that 2GB go to 5GB for $30 a month, more than anything else. Otherwise they are about on par. Even if Sprint and TMO get the phone I don't really expect to see a large shift in prices. Those two networks are widely known as not having very good networks (moreso than ATT), although they are working o it. Would be amazing to have Sprint's unlimited $69.99 plan on the iPhone! Coverage here with Sprint is actually better than with ATT.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    all i want for christmas is an iphone on tmobile is that to much to ask???

ummm get and iPhone and then unlock it iPhone on tmobile. done!
    if (youTryToBeSmarter)
    {
    i.WillTryToBeNicer();
    }
    //oh here let me translate for you to something that is easier to understand!
    If youTryToBeSmarter Then
    i.WillTryToBeNicer()
    End If

Didn't Apple originally want the iPhone on Verizon, then they rejected it? Guess that wasn't too smart.

I'm not trying to be a donkey* here, but if you just want a cheap plan there's plenty of options that work with the iPhone.

Light use? AT&T GoPhone.
    Data only? iPad Plan ($25).
    Unlimited talk & text? H20 ($40).
    4G? iSpot ($25).
    Unlimited talk & text & 2G data? Simple Mobile ($60).
    And finally, if you want to live dangerously, the SIM from a Straight Talk E71 works in an iPhone - for $45 unlimited 3G everything.

The only reason to be excited about Verizon getting the iPhone is if someone else is paying your bill, or you happen to live in BFE where they're the only provider. Mark my words, Verizon won't be any cheaper than AT&T.
    Last edited by gotanmp3; 12-06-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: * profanity filter is laaaaaaaaaame

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gotanmp3 For This Useful Post:

ChaiMuengChuaySoh (12-07-2010), raaron12 (12-07-2010), Tedomcmillan (12-06-2010)

this site should be changed from modmyi to iGossip. how about some jailbreaking mods, tweaks and themes. Start with a tutorial on how to have weather and date on the status bar.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire425 View Post
    yes but i want 4g speeds dont want to pay $800 for a new IP4 and I want everything to work and not worry about updating and stuff like that it defeats the purpose of having the iphone on tmobile

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire425 View Post
    sure but would you have 3g network?nope

visual voice mail?nope unless you use some lame cydia add on.

have to worry about updates constantly that breaks unlock yep.

personally iphone1 3g and 3gs i was on the tmobile network unlocked

with my iphone 4 i went to atnt,less hassle and i love it.

the only good thing about using the iphone unlock via tmobile is the price and the unlimited data but personally i have yet to use over 200 mb of data mind you i have the 2 gb plan and i do a lot of emails/instant messages on beejive

Canadian+pre unlocked iPhone=
    iPhone+Canadian plans= ****-.-

Green Apple
    Thanks

If Apple takes Verizon's offer, in the end the consumer loses. Since it's obvious now that the iPhone is a hot seller, Apple is in a position where if they'd be so inclined to accept an offer for exclusivity except for AT&T of course, the offer would have to be substantial, and that capital pouring out of Verizon would translate higher contract costs. Would be a shame. If they'd refuse any further exclusivity, the carriers would be forced to compete, and competition always works in favor of the consumer.

apple should NOT do this, they need to keep their lead over android and this will NOT help

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

I haven't confirm but a fellow employee just got the ATT and got ip4. He said the sales person said that old customers with unlimited data plan will not be able to renew with that plan...not grandfathered.

Quote Originally Posted by sucram6791 View Post
    apple should NOT do this, they need to keep their lead over android and this will NOT help
    Ask Apple if they care who's leading or what not. A typical business standpoint is to make as much money as possible and Apple is doing that well. Now Verizon is willing to pay a premium to Apple without having to sell a single phone to other networks? Hopefully someone is just blowing smoke up their butt because I don't like the look of this for us consumers.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

I have to say that this makes total sense. Everyone wants the iPhone but most people loathe AT&T's network. I can't speak for T-Mobile, but Sprint happily roams free on Verizon's network (though not vice versa). If both Sprint and Verizon had the iPhone available I don't think any sane person would choose Verizon when they can otherwise get Sprint's pricing and Verizon's excellent network. Smart move Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg05 View Post
    I haven't confirm but a fellow employee just got the ATT and got ip4. He said the sales person said that old customers with unlimited data plan will not be able to renew with that plan...not grandfathered.
    Your friend is wrong. Those customers already grandfathered in will continue to be as such until they change to a different plan, and that continues with upgrades.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

If they are smart, they will open it up to T-Mobile. They already have their market. The Verizon customer base is just a bunch of non tech savvy house moms and business men who need their 8330 on enterprise bis. Also, call me a prude, but I really don't feel like seeing any more people with an iPhone. I like that not EVERYONE has the same damn phone as me.

Quote Originally Posted by corkey20000 View Post
    If they are smart, they will open it up to T-Mobile. They already have their market. The Verizon customer base is just a bunch of non tech savvy house moms and business men who need their 8330 on enterprise bis. Also, call me a prude, but I really don't feel like seeing any more people with an iPhone. I like that not EVERYONE has the same damn phone as me.
    LOL! I know this off topic but I remember the time when I was sitting in a waiting room at a dealership when that infamous iPhone ring tone went off everyone went and made a move for their iPhone simultaneously. Hilarious!
    Last edited by suade8880; 12-06-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast