+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac App Store Open Next Monday?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The Mac App Store may be open for business as soon as next week, ahead of Christmas and well in advance of the 90-day target set back in October. According
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Mac App Store Open Next Monday?

The Mac App Store may be open for business as soon as next week, ahead of Christmas and well in advance of the 90-day target set back in October. According to an "insider source" quoted by Kirk Hiner at AppleTell, the company has been pushing hard to get the store up and running, and developers have been told to have their apps ready as early as today though the store is not likely to be open until December 13.

The Mac App Store is, obviously, modeled on the successful App Store for iOS devices, letting users find, download, and install Mac apps with the same simplicity and ease of use. All apps will be licensed for use on all of a user's Macs, and developers get a 70% cut. However, the plan has already encountered controversy with the banning of trial, demo, or beta software, and it's unknown as yet whether any titles on the Mac App Store will be free.

Apple seeded a new beta of Mac OS X 10.6.6 last week, which included "developer support for fetching and renewing App Store receipts." It's not clear whether 10.6.6 will be required to use the Mac App Store, but there's no indication that the update will be ready for release in a week: build 10J537 is only the second beta since 10.6.6 was originally released to developers at the beginning of November.

Steve Jobs had promised at the "Back to the Mac" event that the Mac App Store would launch in 90 days. Measuring from the day he said that - October 20 - this means the deadline is January 18, 2011. Hiner's source indicated that Steve Jobs wanted the store open faster than that, however, and that Apple is targeting the launch for Monday, December 13. Multiple sources have hinted that Apple is planning a media event for later this week.

Source: 9to5Mac

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm excited to see what Apps people have created, hopefully there will be some really cool ones.

Thanks

hope this is worth the wait

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

developers should get 80%, not like the app store where apple gets a 30% cut, its like the app store all over again ugh!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    developers should get 80%, not like the app store where apple gets a 30% cut, its like the app store all over again ugh!
    Why exactly is a 30% cut unfair? All the dev does is make the app and send it to Apple, which takes care of the distribution. I think 30% is perfectly fair. I mean, for the Mac, these devs can feel free to release their apps themselves. They are not STUCK with the appstore like they are on the iPhone (not considering jailbreak)...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

I just wish it would get here I want to see what apps will be available
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

I'm excited too! If this takes off like the AppStore did, then I'm sure Apple sales will skyrocket. Maybe Apple will gain some more market share.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sucram6791's Avatar
    Thanks

i wonder if it will instantly have the success that todays app store has?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

This may actually help Mac sales more like it did for the iPhone. iPhone on 1.X (no appstore) sucked lol.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Antman217 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (12-06-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I think this is an amazing idea right in line with the thinking that "it just works". Users don't have to go out into the vast unknown and UNTRUSTED world wide web to find software that may work.. may not.. may be a scam.. etc. Apple is giving people a one stop shop. New users to Mac can go to the Mac App Store and have everything grouped into easy categories, product descriptions, ratings.. everything we have in the iPhone App Store.

I like it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

This will be better than having to type "for mac" behind everything i search for in google lol.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Antman217 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (12-06-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

I am for it also.

I use Macupdate to find apps for certain things but think I will like the Appstore a lot better.

Green Apple
    Thanks

But no ones will publish on it because of the 30% cut and all the restrictions.

Thanks

It saves them on server bandwidth, server space, advertising, fees for taking payments; etc. So 30% is not a horrible thing for a centralized place to do updates, secure method of selling, Apple hosting the files and so forth.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    It saves them on server bandwidth, server space, advertising, fees for taking payments; etc. So 30% is not a horrible thing for a centralized place to do updates, secure method of selling, Apple hosting the files and so forth.
    If a company makes $10,000,000. Apple makes 3,000,000 and they make 7,000,000. Plus of all the restrictions and you still must have a site plus $99 fee

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Why exactly is a 30% cut unfair? All the dev does is make the app and send it to Apple, which takes care of the distribution...
    Oh, is that all - the developer just makes the app, while Apple ascribes it an ID, gives it a few MB of disk storage, and software splits and shuffles bits around to represent money and statistics? Poor, over-stretched Apple!

Spoken like a true economist.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question: how do u get the mac app store?

Thanks

It is not out yet. It will come in an OSX update. Requires OSX 10.6.6
    Last edited by Cer0; 12-06-2010 at 10:06 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by narutorulzs View Post
    Question: how do u get the mac app store?
    You have to wait until Monday to download it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok thanks=)