Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Futuristic "Apple City" Planned for Cupertino

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Futuristic "Apple City" Planned for Cupertino

Apple has been working secretly with the world-renowned designer of the Hong Kong International Airport on the design of its new campus in Cupertino, according to a business publication in Spain. El Economista [googletrans] profiles "Apple City," which has been designed by Norman Foster - who also worked on the design of all-solar Masdar City in Abu Dhabi - to be at the cutting edge of energy efficiency and sustainability, and will feature a network of tunnels underground instead of roads connecting the buildings.

The design process has reportedly been going on for months, but Apple just bought a disused 98-acre parcel of land from Hewlett-Packard for the new Apple City, right next to 50 acres the company bought back in 2006. The company is outgrowing its current headquarters at One Infinite Loop, Apple spokesman Steve Dowling told the San Jose Mercury News, saying "we now occupy 57 buildings in Cupertino and our campus is bursting at the seams." The acquisition of the new plot of land will allow the project to go forward.

Apple City reportedly takes a lot of elements from the Foster + Partners design of Masdar City, which is being built from the ground up to be carbon-neutral and zero waste, with no cars allowed inside the city walls and personal rapid transit "pods" to take everyone around. Apple City will also be car-free, with all buildings connected by tunnels. In addition to giving employees an easier way around the 146-acre campus, which is split by Pruneridge Avenue and Interstate 280, the tunnels will also eliminate all roads and parking lots on the surface. "The buildings which will house the engineers and R&D will also be multifunctional and will incorporate cutting-edge technology in materials and equipment as well as renewable energy resources," El Economista's report says.

Source: 9to5Mac

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (12-06-2010), iDro Manifest (12-09-2010), LEVMAN (12-05-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Whoa.

I would love to take a tour of that place!

Excellent, another way to put some good use to the $25+ million dollars just sitting there.

That would be a place where you could spend hours just looking at the outside before you even go in. Knowing Apple to spend so much time on aesthetics, and they have a legit designer helping.

this sounds like that giant tokyo bay city. But an even lower chance of happening
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

I bet 24 hrs is not even enough to walk around the whole palace (yes I said palace)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    they should call it iCity or iTown

Thanks

iAm ready to visit

10. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

dhamien (12-06-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    iAm ready to visit
    yea me 2, just let me get my ipod touch and ipad and macbook pro (just incase I get lonely)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm no engineer, but that thing looks like one minor earthquake could break allll that pretty glass.

Regardless, I'd absolutely love to see it. Something like this would be one of those things Jobs himself only calls shots on. And we all know how his imagination is.

Thats freaking nice

Damn thats gonna be a SICK *** place!!!

Thanks

HOLY ****!

Now, which room does Steve Jobs lives in?
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

146 acres just smothered in WiFi, nice! I can just imagine how ridiculous that place would be on the inside too. The carbon neutral and zero waste goals are pretty nice too. I like it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ro0oney's Avatar
    Thanks

nice. so if u have any apple product, do u get to have a free tour? i would love it if that was the case tho i doubt it.. obviously

Thanks

They should add theme park rides

Green Apple
    Thanks

25 mil?? maybe $250mil lol

Thanks

Finally a Disney Land for Geeks!!! I wonder if they will turn all the rules for the App Stores into magic mountain...

I can see little buzzing robots running around with flashing lights and sirens screaming "Android alert! Android Alert!" followed by the entire city submersing underground and steel shades encasing every piece of glass the minute an android user gets with 100 yards of that place.

Ya this will be made in how many years? But on the bright side this place seems great and futuristic... I really wanna check it out when it gets done, (do they let people check it out?)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast