Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Files Radical New "Radial Menu" Patent

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Files Radical New "Radial Menu" Patent

A recently-revealed Apple patent filing indicates that the company is looking into a radical modification of the graphical user interface with the introduction of a "radial menu." According to the application, a rotary wheel of options could be more efficient in terms of screen real estate and ease of use than the current drop-down list. Sample drawings accompanying the patent show the technology used in both iOS and Mac OS X.

The new menu could be a modification of current drop down menus, where the most common items appear in a list but change to the radial menu if the user makes a circular motion. This would be especially well-suited for touchscreen devices, allowing the user to navigate longer lists more easily even when holding the device in one hand and scrolling (or, um, "spinning?) with a thumb. The same circular gesture could be used to open sub-menus as well. When the user reaches the menu option or sub-level they want, a linear gesture (swipe) or tap would be used to choose the option.

However, not only touchscreen devices but traditional mouse-and-pointer interfaces could make use of the new menu design. The patent shows an example of a video-editing application on a desktop computer where radial menus are invoked by keyboard commands to do things like select clips to add to a project, as well as trimming and editing them.

United States Patent Application 20100306702, simply titled "Radial Menus," is credited to Peter Warner of Paris, France whose LinkedIn profile shows him as a "Designer at Apple." The application was filed on May 29, 2009.

Source: MacNN

Sounds like a variant of sbsettings
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Sounds like another patent. THEY PATENT EVERYTHING. People on modmyi take It like it's going to happen.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pizentu For This Useful Post:

-_- (12-05-2010), soulthoughts (12-03-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pizentu View Post
    Its got a PogoPlank look to it.
    Doesn't it though?

Quote Originally Posted by Pizentu View Post
    Its got a PogoPlank look to it.
    i agree. its the first thing i thought of when i saw it

Thanks

Damn, they should patent pogoplank......before it's to late. LOL, apple always has such good BRAND NEW IDEAS that you never seen before. ( my nose is going after that last sentence ).

FIne..when it comes to our iphones and ipad and ipod.....
    I can tell ya..

HTC /Samsung /LG / SONY//GOOGLE/// ANDROID Whatever phone that comes out next after the release of this thing... WILL HAVE THE SAME THING STYLE...
    GOSHHH...
    WHY CANT THEY JUST INNOVATE SOMETHING THEIR SELF......... Idiotss..

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks like the beginning of the Black Hole iPhone, look here

Last edited by javiert30; 12-03-2010 at 04:52 PM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

The Sims, anyone? Lol

I feel like us jailbreakers have already done this
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

I think it looks pretty sweet. The looks of everything are in need of an overhaul.

I feel like jailbreakers do everything first this looks strikingly similar to pogo plank so what the makers of that are going to get sued by apple because they didnt patent it first I mean hell look at categories and catefoires sb how long were those out before apple finally integrated it into there stock firmware

360 web browser seem to have got there first, there pop up arcs in there iphone browser are pretty nifty once gotten used to.
    iDevice-less, for once. flirting with Andy Roid atm, looking to rekindle romance if the right handset comes along

I'v seen operating systems that have this exact interface, in 2005. Start button in the middle of the screen and when you click it the start menu appers in a "radial menu".

So they steal stuff by patenting it? Lots of tablet drawing programs use a very similar control scheme.

Banned
    Thanks

Isn't there already a multitasking interface that does just this?

Another stolen idea from the jailbreaking community.

Apple, you really love the jailbreakers now don't ya as you steal all their ideas.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to NakedFaerie For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (12-04-2010)

...first they should fix this crap done in 4.2.1 and them move forward, they are worse than Microsoft now. This is last iphone and last imac I ever have. It gets worse with every new release. I have just found that my apps stopped working with new OS, iTunes kills my notes, synch goes mad, mute button does not work so no ring tones any more, iphone 4 does not work in AU when temperature goes over 40'C - just does not register you finger. An now new menu... hehe, I want to see that working. Whole idea was to pay so much for this crap because this works, now it does not anymore so what is the point? We go back to PC and linux...at least linux is free...and PC cheaper a lots...and Windoes 7 works and iOs not anymore as used tooo...funny isn't it?

does apple apply for a new patent every 3 days?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast