Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Fix Battery Drain with redsn0w 0.9.6b6 and SAM

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Fix Battery Drain with redsn0w 0.9.6b6 and SAM

The iPhone Dev-Team has released redsn0w 0.9.6b6 for Windows and Mac with a new tweak that avoids the issues like battery-drain and overheating that plague unlocks. Rather than using redsn0w to hacktivate, this version lets users click a "Deactivate" button to remove the patches that affected battery life and push notifications, allowing @sbinger's SAM tool to do the hacktivation.

Sam (@sbinger) Binger, the developer of TetherMe, came up with what he calls Subscriber Artificial Module (SAM), which tricks iTunes and your iPhone into generating official activation tickets even though the unlocked device carries an unofficial SIM. As a result, the lockdownd patches that were required to make hacktivation work with redsn0w are no longer needed, and unlockers can use SAM to hacktivate without taking the battery life hit.

The Dev-Team is making the process easier by adding a "Deactivate" button, which removes the patches and lets SAM take over the hacktivation process. SAM also includes a "stockify" tool to let users of iOS 3.0+ to revert to a stock lockdownd: add http://repo.bingner.com as a repo in Cydia, install "SAM" and "SAMPrefs," and then run stockify in secure shell.

Source: Dev-Team Blog

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Buffolus (12-03-2010), CaryDude (12-04-2010), DRFP (12-04-2010), hamzam05 (12-04-2010), LEVMAN (12-03-2010), NakedFaerie (12-04-2010)

Is this safe to use even after JB 4.1.2 with Pwnage on a 3G?

Two questions, one of which is because I've been a bit confused with jailbreaking lately.

1.) If we rely on ultrasn0w, and have an iPhone 4, can we upgrade to 4.2.1 or is that a bad call where the only way right now is involving the potentially risky 06.15.00?

2.) I'm successfully using Push Doctor or Push Fix along with a YouTube Fix, whatever the free one is on 4.1 (iPhone 4). Should this SAM stuff be installed instead?

Looking at my Manage Packages in Cydia brings me to a third concern... since I manually installed the new Cydia with iFile, I've noticed that a few of my packages are not listed, it's really weird. For example, I don't see PushFix listed or anything related and they are working on T-Mo just fine. I was going to install Open Notifications and wanted to remove my current Statusbar package (not sure which one it was), but again, there's no sign of it in Cydia, I went through all of the installed packages in expert mode and it's not listed. I'm a bit bothered by it. My third party sources had to be reinstalled too. Any ideas how to force Cydia to figure out what's installed without just re-jailbreaking?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 15,502 Times in 7,090 Posts

updating the baseband to 6.15.00 does not work on iPhone 4. Dont try it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not sure I even see a need to upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2? I'm on an iPhone 4 and aside from the AirStreaming which dosen't even seem to be fully funtional without a 3rd party hack why would i update to 4.2? Btw no unlock needed as i'm on AT&T.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

Quote Originally Posted by goodluck4287 View Post
    Two questions, one of which is because I've been a bit confused with jailbreaking lately.

1.) If we rely on ultrasn0w, and have an iPhone 4, can we upgrade to 4.2.1 or is that a bad call where the only way right now is involving the potentially risky 06.15.00?

2.) I'm successfully using Push Doctor or Push Fix along with a YouTube Fix, whatever the free one is on 4.1 (iPhone 4). Should this SAM stuff be installed instead?

Looking at my Manage Packages in Cydia brings me to a third concern... since I manually installed the new Cydia with iFile, I've noticed that a few of my packages are not listed, it's really weird. For example, I don't see PushFix listed or anything related and they are working on T-Mo just fine. I was going to install Open Notifications and wanted to remove my current Statusbar package (not sure which one it was), but again, there's no sign of it in Cydia, I went through all of the installed packages in expert mode and it's not listed. I'm a bit bothered by it. My third party sources had to be reinstalled too. Any ideas how to force Cydia to figure out what's installed without just re-jailbreaking?

Thanks
    The iPad baseband does not work on the iPhone 4. So STAY AWAY!
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks
    Thanked 15,502 Times in 7,090 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    I'm not sure I even see a need to upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2? I'm on an iPhone 4 and aside from the AirStreaming which dosen't even seem to be fully funtional without a 3rd party hack why would i update to 4.2? Btw no unlock needed as i'm on AT&T.
    Not much need. If you dont plan on using airplay or airprint 4.1 is fine.

Will this work on an iPhone 3GS with a custom 4.1 firmware? Just want to make sure it's fine. I've been having severe battery drain and network usage since I updated from spirit jailbroken 3.1.3.
    Even if I didnt help you please click thanks :X

I'm on an iphone 4 running custom 4.1 firmware that I created on
    sn0wwbreeze. I'm using ultrasn0w with T-mobile. Does the hacktivation that sn0wbreeze uses also cause battery drainage? Should I use redsn0w and SAM if I used sn0wbreeze?

Quote Originally Posted by rhart96 View Post
    Will this work on an iPhone 3GS with a custom 4.1 firmware? Just want to make sure it's fine. I've been having severe battery drain and network usage since I updated from spirit jailbroken 3.1.3.
    This will work with the custom firmware as well.

Basically all this will do is delete the packages that control the lockdownd and SAM will manipulate the iPhone and iTunes into thinking its a legitimate iPhone on a legitimate carrier hence allowing iTunes to downloading the new packages and the certifications.

Hacktivation has always been one of the questionable points as it can affect performance or battery. You will basically have an iPhone thats legit in all ways besides having Cydia.

Follow this guide.
    http://www.funkyspacemonkey.com/sam-...ry-life-unlock
    Last edited by dhruvmalik; 12-03-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Correction
    --If I Helped, Please Hit Thanks!--

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhruvmalik For This Useful Post:

rhart96 (12-04-2010), vickysworld9 (12-03-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by westerman View Post
    The iPad baseband does not work on the iPhone 4. So STAY AWAY!
    OK thanks, had seen that but forgotten. Anyone else know about the other issues? I'll probably just post those in the right place and hopefully get an answer

Quote Originally Posted by lj22s View Post
    I'm on an iphone 4 running custom 4.1 firmware that I created on
    sn0wwbreeze. I'm using ultrasn0w with T-mobile. Does the hacktivation that sn0wbreeze uses also cause battery drainage? Should I use redsn0w and SAM if I used sn0wbreeze?
    Hacktivation method has not changed whether you are using Sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool. This will be the option for you if you have hacktivated.
    --If I Helped, Please Hit Thanks!--

Quote Originally Posted by dhruvmalik View Post
    This will work with the custom firmware as well.

Basically all this will do is delete the packages that control the lockdownd and SAM will manipulate the iPhone and iTunes into thinking its a legitimate iPhone on a legitimate carrier hence allowing iTunes to downloading the new packages and the certifications.

Hacktivation has always been one of the questionable points as it can affect performance or battery. You will basically have an iPhone thats legit in all ways besides having Cydia.

Follow this guide.
    SAM: Officially Activate Your iPhone Without A Stock SIM, Get Push Applications And Increases Battery Life After Unlock | FSMdotCOM

Hacktivation method has not changed whether you are using Sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool. This will be the option for you if you have hacktivated.
    Now looking at the guide you provided, it does not have any mention of iphone 4.It only mentions 3g and 3gs. Also, I used sn0wbreeze to create a custom firmware and I'm wondering if that will be an issue with using redsn0w.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mikelikesanime's Avatar
    Thanks

Okay So I am on an Iphone 4 with os 4.1 and broke with redsn0w 9.6b5 and on the at&t carrier. How would this benefit someone like me to go with 9.6b6.
    I also would like to know how it would help a 3gs on os 4.2.1 redsn0w 9.6b5 tethered with at&t and a 3g on 4.2.1 redsn0w 9.6b4.
    I want more Anime.

Do you have to rejailbreak with this? I am confused...

Or can I just remove ultrasn0w, run redsn0w and just select deactive, then have SAM deal with the hacktivation and unlocking?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

- I have a 3GS... oldboot
    - I installed 4.2.1, then with redsnow I installed BB 06.15
    - I downgraded it to 4.1
    - I used an original AT&T card to activated it
    - I installed Ultrasn0w to unlocked it.

This new Cydia feature is applicable to my iDevice ?

Hi ,

I've a factory unlocked iPhone 3GS. If I use this SAM thing. Would my battery last more ?

Thanks in Advance.

I successfully deactivated with SAM, but now Itunes is telling me that "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported." Apparently I missed a step. I don't see how - the instructions are soooooooo detailed. (That was sarcasm.)

Anyone got any ideas? Seriously, this, along with all the other hacks, is amazing, and I admire the folks who make them and provide them for free to the user community. But newbies like me have a lot of trouble using them because the instructions assume a high level of proficiency and experience.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mikelikesanime's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jerri blank View Post
    I successfully deactivated with SAM, but now Itunes is telling me that "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported." Apparently I missed a step. I don't see how - the instructions are soooooooo detailed. (That was sarcasm.)

Anyone got any ideas? Seriously, this, along with all the other hacks, is amazing, and I admire the folks who make them and provide them for free to the user community. But newbies like me have a lot of trouble using them because the instructions assume a high level of proficiency and experience.
    I agree

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    I want more Anime.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast