+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [ FIRST VIEW ] OpenSource iPhone? iBoot

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I love how there are only 4 pages about LINUX on the iphone, yet there are more pages when Sonic for Sega gets released LOL. Not to flame....but apparently most
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I love how there are only 4 pages about LINUX on the iphone, yet there are more pages when Sonic for Sega gets released LOL.

Not to flame....but apparently most of you are hardcore apple fan boys or just simply can't grasp the power of linux.

More importantly....can it run doom?

FYI...take this lightly and have a laugh not a hissy fit.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lightmaster View Post
    You know how most people use either Windows computers or Apple computers? These are the Operating Systems (OS). Well, there is another type of OS called Linux, and a growing number of people are using it. Just like Windows or Apple, Linux is actually a group of OS's (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Mac OS x 10.4, Linux Ubuntu, Linux Red Hat). The difference between Windows and Linux is that Linux is open-source, meaning that while you have to pay a small fortune for Windows, Linux is relatively free (you might have to pay a buck or two for the cd its burned onto).

Also, similar to Windows, who has Windows Mobile, Linux has be ported to almost everything you can think of. People have compiled Linux OS's to run on computers, iPods, phones, car navigation systems, one guy even compiled a version of Linux to run on a wrist watch. Now, the next generation of Linux will hopefully be appearing on iPhones and iTouchs.

The basic implication is that you will soon be able to put almost anything on the iPhone/iTouch... Open Office, other web browsers, full download and upload capabilities, just about anything you can come up with.
    You can go to http://www.linux.org for more information.
    well said! thanx so much.. now it makes sense to me why these people jumping up on their chairs... and now me too... thanks to you!

Thanks

wow, I can't wait to see this complete. I'll jump on board head first to get rid of this locked out/proprietary POS Apple calls an OS

keep up the good work

My iPhone is a Part of Me lightmaster's Avatar
    Thanks

Does anyone have an estimate on when we will be able to test a Linux OS on the iPhone/iTouch?
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Emir S.'s Avatar
    Thanks

As soon as it's ported for the ARM found in the iPhone.

If you want to see what you might get, get a HTC touch screen and run Ubuntu Mobile on it.

It's amazing to be quite honest

Green Apple
    Thanks

out of imagination, imagine using the accelerometer or a touch command to turn a Beryl screen :P

My iPhone is a Part of Me iBlade's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes beryl cube on the iphone, have your internet browser open, chat open, sms messages and anything else you want open and rotate to your liking. No more starting and waiting for an app to load or sign in.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr.stevil View Post
    wow, I can't wait to see this complete. I'll jump on board head first to get rid of this locked out/proprietary POS Apple calls an OS

keep up the good work
    I agree, can't wait until someone ports Darwin to the iPhone... lol
    Last edited by imode; 03-25-2008 at 04:17 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Emir S.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, Darwin would be great :P
    Funny how people know so little about OSX and even less about 'Nix.

If you think Linux is the holly grail of open platforms, read up on Suse or Red Hat.

Thanks

lol rim shot? tip the waitress on the way out? try the veal?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr.stevil View Post
    lol rim shot? tip the waitress on the way out? try the veal?
    OK... Seems I need to be more specific. Why is the iPhone OS a 'POS' as you put it? Please explain. It happens to be a full on port of Darwin (aka Mac OS a variant of BSD Unix). I suggest you have a look at this: http://developer.apple.com/opensource/index.html before you comment. Try to find a similar page on Microsoft's Windows website...

Let's step back for a second. Do you own a PS2/3, XBox or a PSP? What do you think runs in those boxes? They are all 'locked OSs' by your definition. How about a Nokia or (better) a Motorola phone running Symbian? What about Window's Mobile? Microsoft doesn't consider that proprietary right?

Now suppose you want to market the latest xphone gadget and want to maximize revenue? Would putting an open OS on it, unlocking it and letting the whole world do what they want with it be a wise choice? I'm sure it'll be a quality device.

iphone doesn't have flash... OS is locked... OS is proprietary... ssh doesn't work... waaaaaaaaa... Stop crying, sell your iPhone, pay money to Microsoft and buy a Window's ME device. Will LINUX be ported to iPhone ARM? Yes, eventually. Will it be better than Darwin? I seriously doubt it... All of the device drivers will need to be rewritten and the applications still have to ported to the iPhone architecture. That's not going to be easy.
    Last edited by imode; 03-26-2008 at 03:55 PM.

+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234