+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon Launching 4G LTE, Pulling 'Accidental' iPhone Ad

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
You do realize that even if he does (which he doesn't) know something, you relaying it has as much credibility as that guy I knew in grade school who totally
    Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

You do realize that even if he does (which he doesn't) know something, you relaying it has as much credibility as that guy I knew in grade school who totally had an Uncle who works for Nintendo that told me they had bought Sega and there was a Mario/Sonic game coming next year!!!

We have no way of proving anything of what your friend said to be true the same way I you have no way of proving to me you're not Bill Gates.

Not to mention the Verizon rumor has existed for almost FOUR years now. What makes this year any different?

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I have tmobile but I cant test out the new "4G" speed until april(ugghh) if your wondering why? "CONTRACT" 1 word with a whole lot of attitude (and hate)....

iPhone? More like MyPhone imilad's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    What kind of speeds are they expecting to provide?
    LTE is looking to provide speeds up to 10X faster than 3G

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imilad View Post
    I wouldn't buy into that number all the way. Internet speeds are always no where near the "maximum". Just saying you shouldn't get your hopes too high.

iPhone? More like MyPhone imilad's Avatar
    Thanks

Here is a interesting link regarding LTE Att and verizon

Clearwire, AT&T take jabs at Verizon's LTE speeds, pricing - FierceWireless

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imilad View Post
    Correct, they're going to provide up to 10x faster than their current 3G speeds, which are SLOW SLOW SLOW.

The term 4G itself as we know it is a joke. NOT A SINGLE CARRIER HAS ANYTHING NEAR A TRUE 4G NETWORK. 4G is defined as a network capable of 100Mbps downloads.

As you can see, nothing either Verizon, Sprint, or T-Mobile offer comes close. Basically, it's all marketing speak to lull the mindless idiots that don't understand technology into a contract for speeds marginally better than what's already available. Oh, and they get to charge more for it too!

AT&T's upgraded 3G network will actually be FASTER than Verizon's "4G" network. Let that sink in.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Just thought I would shoot this up here. It is a Blackberry Torch "running" MotoBLUR in a European ad. So should we assume that this is something more than a simple mistake too? My point is that these mistakes happen. Don't read into them!

This Blackberry Torch Seems to be running MOTOBLUR | Android Phone Fans
    Last edited by sziklassy; 12-02-2010 at 12:18 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

This is cool but I was pulling 6 MBA consistently when Att was turning on/ off there networking that is about to lunch in January
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Is this actually 4G or what verizon an T-mobile are calling 4G even though 4G doesn't exist yet.
    And second, $40 for 5GB? Thats really expensive. I get 6GB for $30
    4G certainly does already exist, its called Sprint. I've gotten up to 10 MGs dl in St Louis, if thats not 4G then please enlighten me.

Also how does 5Gigs for $50 best out Sprints plan? I get UNLIMITED 3G and 4G for $40, might wanna reword the statement for the article.

Honestly I originally wanted to go to Verizon, AT&T was just getting too terrible to stand and I needed to go elsewhere. But, it seems like both of them want to charge out the *** for their plans and services, so here I am super happy with 'ahem', um Sprint.

Thanks

I think it's funny how the actual notion of the first post in this thread is so stupid that it's just becoming a discussion about 4G.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattbeatz View Post
    4G certainly does already exist, its called Sprint. I've gotten up to 10 MGs dl in St Louis, if thats not 4G then please enlighten me.

Also how does 5Gigs for $50 best out Sprints plan? I get UNLIMITED 3G and 4G for $40, might wanna reword the statement for the article.

Honestly I originally wanted to go to Verizon, AT&T was just getting too terrible to stand and I needed to go elsewhere. But, it seems like both of them want to charge out the *** for their plans and services, so here I am super happy with 'ahem', um Sprint.
    Hello there good kind sir. It's become aware to me that you haven't read the very same thread you're posting in as you would have not otherwise posted such a ridiculous wrong statement! Allow me to refer you to the following replies:

* Reply #3 in which I mention what these plans are actually for (hint: not phones)
    * Reply #46. Now I understand how you may have missed this one, what with it being a whole THREE POSTS BEFORE YOURS but hey, it happens. Anyways, in this way I go a little in-depth into the definition and standards of true 4G and show you a nice graph and all showing how Sprint (and Tmobile, and Verizon) are NOT 4G networks even though they call it that.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to ask for help here on how to READ A DAMN THREAD BEFORE POSTING.

PS: I went ahead and did you a favor and checked out Sprint's mobile broadband plans, which are $59.99. Now in Sprint's benefit, you get unlimited data through "4G" and 5GB through 3G, but you're still paying $10 more.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 12-02-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    PS: I went ahead and did you a favor and checked out Sprint's mobile broadband plans, which are $59.99. Now in Sprint's benefit, you get unlimited data through "4G" and 5GB through 3G, but you're still paying $10 more.
    If you are talking about their phone plans, $69.99 gets you 5GB data, unlimited messaging, and unlimited calls to any american mobile line. This also includes 450 anytime landline minutes and unlimited nights and weekends atarting at 7pm. Their "4G" phones have an unlimited data (on 3G and 4G networks) as well as network/call priority (if the network is bogged down with lots of traffic, phones with these plans enabled get first priority calls and data). There is that extra $10 associated with these plans that one cannot "opt out" of. This information isn't actually advertised (it might be in fine print somewhere), and I am not sure why. I did confirm this with a Sprint rep in store AND over the phone after I read on an android forum that this was the case.

Now I have not tried their "4G", but I hear hopping from cell towers is pretty pitiful (it actually disconnects your web each jump). That said I have had better 3G reception in my area, get the same speeds (ATT has spiked a bit higher at times, but Sprint is more consistent), all for a good chunk less than what ATT would cost for those same features.

EDIT: Seems that it is probably implied that you were reffering to the data cards. Either way, comparing phones/networks my statement above stands true.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 12-02-2010 at 07:47 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Yeah (mobile broadband = cards). The costs on the article refer to Verizon's 4G data cards which is the only thing they're going to be launching their 4G network with. They won't have any 4G phone offerings until like April last I checked. I'm not trying to say one's better than the other either, I actually like Sprint's plans. If I could have gotten on SERO a while back I would have saved so much money.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. From what I've read Verizon wants to jump fast to LTE so next year is going to be really interesting with basically all networks undergoing major changes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattbeatz View Post

Wrongzo! Sprint and T Mobile's "4G" networks are actually 3GPP. 4G is ip packet based (LTE Advanced). Two completely different technologies.

They basically have (in select areas) enhanced 3G. I'm sorry, but replacing 10 year old stuff (towers, wires, ect) that is 100% Sprint/T Mobile's responsibility to maintain, does not warrant lies or surcharges, let alone both.

I dont care what they say, or what you DL speed was, if it isn't LTE Advanced (ip packet based, not GSM or CDMA), it ain't 4G. Period.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123