+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Nielsen: iPhone Tops BlackBerry as Leading US Smartphone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,612
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

    Default Nielsen: iPhone Tops BlackBerry as Leading US Smartphone



    According to data released Wednesday morning by Nielsen, Apple's iPhone has gained adequate ground in the smartphone market to now officially (but barely) surpass RIM's BlackBerry as the top smartphone in the US. As of October 2010, the iPhone has captured 27.9% of the market, while RIM's blackberry retains 27.4%. It's a "statistical dead heat," notes Nielsen, but a significant piece of information, regardless, given Apple has now officially surpassed a leading competitor across the full smartphone landscape.

    At present, 22.7% of smartphone owners have devices with the Android operating system. While some believe Android is the platform to watch in future revisions to the above pie chart, its unlikely that Apple's iPhone will lose the top spot. Why? Because among users planning to get a new smartphone, "current smartphone owners showed a preference for the Apple iPhone (35 percent), while 28 percent of both smartphone and featurephone planned smartphone upgraders indicated they wanted a device with an Android operating system as their next mobile phone."

    In the demographics battle, it's another close victory for Apple in most categories, with Apple’s iPhone and devices with the Android operating system getting ranked as the “most desired” phones among likely smartphone upgraders, with Apple "showing a slight lead among those age 55+ , 18 to 24, and 25 to 34." Men, however, slightly prefer Android to the iPhone, but women in the market for a new smartphone prefer the iPhone over either BlackBerry or Android.

    To read the full Nielsen report, click here.

    Nielsen Wire
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 12-01-2010 at 10:29 AM.

  2. #2
    iPhoneaholic spazturtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    321
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 27 Times in 16 Posts

    Their smartphone sample size is ridiculesly small, less than 5000 people? Come on, no wonder the stats are so close.

  3. #3
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have a 3G S, an iPhone 4 and a galaxy s with 2.2 froyo, from my point of view android os is the only one that got my attention besides iOS and I wouldn't doubt if android does surpass the iPhone. On Michael's post he says that it's unlikely that android will pass iOS Because among users planning to get a new smartphone, "current smartphone owners showed more interest in the iPhone ? But you don't think that people are getting fed up with apples Bull****? specially the unlockers who pay so much money for their device without getting a discount like I did when I got my 2 iPhones from AT&T!, and to top it off they can't update without using custom software because the apple god will lock their phones and it'll only become an IPod until a new jailbreak comes out. I love my iPhone 4 and if it wasnt for "my3g" and facetime which all my family uses then I'd be using my galaxy s more often. If you pay 750 Dollars cash for an iPhone 4 then you should be able to do whatever the he** you want with it and decide who you want your provider to be!!! Years and years ago, many never thought that apple could overtake Microsoft and look at it now, Microsoft is still a bit bigger but see how fast apple is taking over Microsoft ?
    Last edited by toytbo88; 12-01-2010 at 12:15 PM.

  4. #4
    My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    835
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 48 Times in 44 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    Their smartphone sample size is ridiculesly small, less than 5000 people? Come on, no wonder the stats are so close.
    That's actually not bad, in my Government classes that's suffiencent for sampling millions of people
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

  5. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    262
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 52 Times in 27 Posts

    Yeaaa... The sampling is pretty small... I dont doubt that Apple is #1, but Id like to see a more in-depth analysis to see just how close.

  6. #6
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    106
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 16 Times in 10 Posts

    but probably from that 35 percent about 5-10% will not buy an iphone because of its price

  7. #7
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts

    If you do just a tiny bit of independent research, you'll discover that these guys are about the last group on earth to "discover" the iPhone's market dominance. Even other companies have noted iPhone has up to 60% total smartphone market share (depends on whose surveys you use).
    Anyway, a big 'welcome to the club' goes out to the a55 clowns at Nielsen.

  8. #8
    My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Foco, Colorado
    Posts
    999
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 36 Times in 28 Posts

    Bye bye blackberry.

  9. #9
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    304
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts

    No surprise there! although its weird RIM blackberry beat android....atleast to me it is.

  10. #10
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by toytbo88 View Post
    I have a 3G S, an iPhone 4 and a galaxy s with 2.2 froyo, from my point of view android os is the only one that got my attention besides iOS and I wouldn't doubt if android does surpass the iPhone. On Michael's post he says that it's unlikely that android will pass iOS Because among users planning to get a new smartphone, "current smartphone owners showed more interest in the iPhone ? But you don't think that people are getting fed up with apples Bull****? specially the unlockers who pay so much money for their device without getting a discount like I did when I got my 2 iPhones from AT&T!, and to top it off they can't update without using custom software because the apple god will lock their phones and it'll only become an IPod until a new jailbreak comes out. I love my iPhone 4 and if it wasnt for "my3g" and facetime which all my family uses then I'd be using my galaxy s more often. If you pay 750 Dollars cash for an iPhone 4 then you should be able to do whatever the he** you want with it and decide who you want your provider to be!!! Years and years ago, many never thought that apple could overtake Microsoft and look at it now, Microsoft is still a bit bigger but see how fast apple is taking over Microsoft ?
    I partially agree with you, Yes some of us do pay the full price for the phone, BUT that means it is unsubsidized and off contract that does not mean it is off carrier lock. Does the Samsung Vibrant or the Samsung Captivate when you buy it unsubsidized come unlocked? For lots of android phones you pay the same amount, but that dosent mean that you get it unlocked.
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

    iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to iphone?3gs For This Useful Post:

    g12007 (12-02-2010)

  12. #11
    Go Wings Zokunei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,384
    Thanks
    144
    Thanked 467 Times in 379 Posts

    Linux? What smartphone runs Linux? I know Android is Linux based, but they're in a different group in that picture.

  13. #12
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    No surprise there! although its weird RIM blackberry beat android....atleast to me it is.
    Lots of business people are still using Blackberries, and those who need a GOOD keyboard go to blackberry too. Sure theres android phones with keyboards, but most of them arent good, or what there looking for. Like really, though I prefer the android operating system over RIM's I would never go for the Droid and Droid 2 for there keyboard, because I think Blackberry keyboards are way better. I think there is only a couple of good Android keyboard phones.....

    Quote Originally Posted by vruls View Post
    but probably from that 35 percent about 5-10% will not buy an iphone because of its price
    Well the same goes for android, because most GOOD android sets are the same price.....
    Last edited by iphone?3gs; 12-01-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

    iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

  14. #13
    Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ventura, California, United States
    Posts
    596
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts

    Android will surpass iOS. I have personally used both Android & iOS devices and they are virtually the same. Both have pros and cons it's really more of personal choice now when it comes to buying and iPhone or a Google Powered Device. The fact that they let phone manufactures add their own personal OS experience on top of Android really gives them an Edge. Blackberry will IMO always be the standard for businessmen.

  15. #14
    Go Wings Zokunei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,384
    Thanks
    144
    Thanked 467 Times in 379 Posts

    Why was Obama considered cool for using a BlackBerry? I know an old fat guy that uses one, he's actually the only person I know to use one (no, I don't talk to him all the time, I don't mean KNOW him). BlackBerries do not make you cool lol

  16. #15
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by SMokemyPole88 View Post
    Android will surpass iOS. I have personally used both Android & iOS devices and they are virtually the same. Both have pros and cons it's really more of personal choice now when it comes to buying and iPhone or a Google Powered Device. The fact that they let phone manufactures add their own personal OS experience on top of Android really gives them an Edge. Blackberry will IMO always be the standard for businessmen.
    That can give an edge, BUT it can also stop people from buying your phone. Really people dont know what stock android is.....
    Also Blackberries used to be a standard, though a lot of companies still use them the iPhone is taking over. It has most of what they need.

    Like for example, MotoBlue 1st Gen, it was annoying and slow. It didnt really attract many people towards it. Really it would be awesome if they just put stock android then we could change it to whatever.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Why was Obama considered cool for using a BlackBerry? I know an old fat guy that uses one, he's actually the only person I know to use one (no, I don't talk to him all the time, I don't mean KNOW him). BlackBerries do not make you cool lol
    Because it was his symbol, he wore it everywhere with his little clip. And cause hes the President?
    Last edited by iphone?3gs; 12-01-2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

    iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

  17. #16
    Go Wings Zokunei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,384
    Thanks
    144
    Thanked 467 Times in 379 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    Because it was his symbol, he wore it everywhere with his little clip. And cause hes the President?
    Lol, he clipped it on himself? I never noticed that.

  18. #17
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,224
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 141 Times in 121 Posts

    Go iPhone GO!

  19. #18
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Lol, he clipped it on himself? I never noticed that.
    Yeah lots of times, some times he dosent. President Obama is pretty awesome..... He knows awesomeness

  20. #19
    My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    526
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 37 Times in 30 Posts

    big surprise Messany, we all knew that apple is dominating the smart phone market. And we all knew (unless you live under a non-smartphone rock) that android is growing faster than apple (which is STOOPID)

  21. #20
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    304
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Why was Obama considered cool for using a BlackBerry? I know an old fat guy that uses one, he's actually the only person I know to use one (no, I don't talk to him all the time, I don't mean KNOW him). BlackBerries do not make you cool lol
    haha nice coverup....

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts