+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple "Smoked the Competition" in Quality, Reliability

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Didn't a mod already say to stop insulting other members? Have a clean discussion. This means not calling people stupid. This is a warning, keep it clean.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Didn't a mod already say to stop insulting other members? Have a clean discussion. This means not calling people stupid. This is a warning, keep it clean.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Mesmo (12-03-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone jaredb03's Avatar
    Thanks

How is this a fair evaluation??? Everyone's phone lineup has a ton of phones. Apple has 1! How about narrowing it down to one phone against the iphone. Like the droid incredible, droid x, palm pre, etc...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Huck167378 View Post
    Take mine for example.
    Already Apples and Oranges. Any PC one builds theirselves is going to be cheaper than a manufactured counterpart.

Being such a "tech" infused site, it seems most here seem to forget we're still talking about mass produced, general consumer products.

Whether you can have motion wallpaper, or can IP Print is pretty irrelevant to the vast majority of people buying these products.

They want a product the works reliably, and in the case of Apple computers, are willing to pay a small premium for that. That's one of the major pluses of the oft-complained about "closed" apple system. It's their hardware and their software, giving them a major advantage in reliability. For the average consumer, the windows platform (and likely soon the Droid platform) suffers from too many choices, and too many potential variables.
    Last edited by ClerkDante; 12-01-2010 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jsweeney800 View Post
    My friends use blackberry. They say that if the iPhone gets a keyboard they'll buy it.
    If Rim puts as much effort as they can into there phones then I would buy it, but RIM isnt doing anything anymore....
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

Thanks

Agreed! My company is no longer going to support Blackberry...Exchange compatibility is not so good

They would lose! Quality over quantity any day
    Last edited by bigboyz; 12-01-2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Agreed! My company is no longer going to support Blackberry...Exchange compatibility is not so good

They would lose! Quality over quantity any day
    Blackberry used to be a top business phone, but the lack of support and effort from them has brought them down.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Maybe it is just me. I bought the MBP. Bad motherboard. Sent it in, got it back, three days later the hard drive fails. Ok cool. I run with the 27" iMac. Bad screen. It was wavy like when you see people videoing a T.V. that is powered on. The great part about that experience? They kept 15% of my money when I returned it. The only product I walked into knowing I would have an issue with is the iPhone 4. The reception issue is not a big deal for me because I always use a case. But. Apple released this on the masses knowingly. I won't delve into their software issues.
    Wow you had some bad luck

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    Ya having to wrap my phone in a case just to call is really great piece of quality right there, and with Apple saying "your holding it wrong" for an excuse for their flaw is a great form of reliability right there. Please just crawl back into your rock.
    Yes every phone has its problems..... If you dont like it why are you on this forum? Personally my iPhone 4 and the people I know who have them have not had a single problem with it, and I dont wear a case on it.

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Stick your thumb on that black strip in the lower left corner and HOLD IT THERE for about 20 seconds or so and see if it still doesn't do it. I've gotten every single iPhone 4 at 3 different Apple stores to replicate the antenna problem just by placing my thumb on that gap. I don't even have to squeeze the phone. All I have to do is put my thumb on the gap and wait.

If you could make a video of you doing that and show that the signal still does not drop then I will be satisfied that the problem does not affect all iPhone 4s. Until then I am certain that it is a hardware flaw that affects every unit that has the outer band exposed.
    I have and am doing it right now.... HOLDING IT..... Ive gotten a few iPhone 4's myself, though after September and October and have no problems.... Ok Im going to make a video, please tell me where to send it.

A tricycle is easy to use. But it wouldn't be very reliable if it had wooden wheels would it?

I was replicating the problem on their display units.
    Those are there from the first day, those where made way before.... I got my phones September October and I have no probs....

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    I bet this survey was done by Apple.
    Where is the "lack of features" as the iPhone will come first in that too.
    Where is the "lack of support"
    Where is the "lack of connectivity"

There are 3 things that come to mind that the iPhone will also come first at.
    Wow this comment was probably written by an Android Fanboy

What??? Lack of features? What phone has a Retina Display, with one of the best cameras, the most applications, multitasking without battery drainage, front facing camera, facetime, all this in a complete package? Yea No.....

Lack of Support.... Apple has the best support. Go into an apple store with a problem? Replacement. Best customer service.

Lack of Connectivity? Hmm Wifi, Facetime, 3G, Bluetooth.... Oh and if your going to rant about Antenna Problems then stop because not everyone had it.....

Please dont give false info to anyone.

Multitasking on any phone drains your battery.
    The EVO.
    The iPhone's stock GUI is sad. I theme it through Winterboard.
    The battery is the iPhone's second biggest flaw.
    iTunes on a P.C. runs poorly.
    You keep on living up to Apple's standards though. They wouldn't be where they are without people like you.
    Multitasking on the iPhone dosent....

Ok.... Stock GUI? Is the easiest to use, and the cleanest... Is Sad? Whats wrong with it? Winterboard changes icons, colors, but the GUI is still the same.....

HAAHHA!! The battery????? The battery is one of the best for smartphones....

I think your PC runs poorly....

Keep on living by giving people false information without research or anything....

I don't know if anybody brought this up..............

But can someone explain to me how "ease of use" has anything to do with "quality and reliability" of a product?

If hypothetically I bought a phone that could get run over by a tractor without so much as a dent or scratch and had glass that was scratch-proof even against a power drill, but it took a week to learn how to master the operating system and navigation............I would say that the phone is not easy to use, but it IS reliable and has quality.

So WTF does "ease of use" have to do with any measure of quality and reliability?

This phone is not reliable. It is not reliable because the NETWORK is not reliable (as pointed out in the service provider portion of this survey). AT&T has the least happy customers in terms of network reliability. This phone is not reliable because the iOS updates are continuously more buggy than the previous version with minimal added features. This phone is not reliable because the second you drop it...GAME OVER. This phone is not reliable because you basically have to use a case to prevent a significant signal drop/loss while holding it in a natural position. This phone is not reliable because the company that manufactures it is not reliable and refuses to acknowledge its mistakes and defective hardware installed on the phone and refused to properly correct the defect.

The quality is there. It is crafted very nicely and there are obviously several features that enhance the quality of this phone. But quality and reliability do not always go hand in hand. The iPhone 4 is a perfect example. Good quality....sh!tty reliability!

Really than no other phone is reliable... For me ATT is VERY reliable.... Verizon was not.... You dont make all the customers.... This phone is reliable BECAUSE they constantly put out updates and DONT release them without checking.... Your fault if your using betas.... RELIABILITY IS NOT DURABILITY.... Because then no phone is reliable... This phone is reliable because the antenna problem dosent affect everyone, and the phone gets great signal. This phone is reliable because the company is willing to fix things.... This phone is reliable because its battery life is long... It is reliable because the OS is stable....

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    What phone turns to an iPod with a simple touch, yep iPhone is the best quality. I have an iPhone 4 and am happy with it but for gods sake quit riding Apples d**k...
    Watch it... There are some good people on this Forum.

Maybe you have the problem, but lots of other people (like me) dont. Simple touch? I couldnt get mine to loose signal with a hard grip.

A $500 bargain laptop is far superior under the hood compared to MBA. A $1000 laptop blows the $2500 MBP out of the water. You are not getting what you pay for. Granted, mine doesn't have an Apple logo on it and sadly a growing number of people are justifying it this way.
    Yes we are, My Macbook runs as fast as your PC.... Whats the point of more power without results? We buy them because they are reliable. We buy them because of there ease of use, there features which add up to be better than those laptops that arent even laptops anymore because they get so big. In Specs sure it might beat the Macbooks, but in reliability and stability the Macbook will. A 13" Macbook Pro probably has a lower proccesor, but in terms of features and reliability it blows your laptop out of the water....

A $500 bargain laptop is far superior under the hood compared to MBA. A $1000 laptop blows the $2500 MBP out of the water. You are not getting what you pay for. Granted, mine doesn't have an Apple logo on it and sadly a growing number of people are justifying it this way.
    Yes we are, My Macbook runs as fast as your PC.... Whats the point of more power without results? We buy them because they are reliable. We buy them because of there ease of use, there features which add up to be better than those laptops that arent even laptops anymore because they get so big. In Specs sure it might beat the Macbooks, but in reliability and stability the Macbook will. A 13" Macbook Pro probably has a lower proccesor, but in terms of features and reliability it blows your laptop out of the water....

In terms of finished product, the Macbook is it.

I think you are reading too much into my posts. I am by no means berating Apple. Facts are facts. It just so happens that I expect a quality product with anything I purchase, but it hasn't been the case with the majority of Apple products I have had. I run Windows, Ubuntu, and OSX on a PC that has never given me issues. You are correct...this is an "Apple" forum on which I will discuss my Apple opinions whether they happen to fit into your Magical Apple Wonder World or not.

You do not have to quit all apps to use the phone. Open some apps on his Evo and then launch the phone app. It does not tell you to exit and kill all apps before making a phone call.

iOS multitasking calls for either a running state or a suspended state depending on the app that is calling on the function itself. So if you are running Pandora and press the Home button it drops into the running state. Launch a game and then press the Home button and it drops into the suspended state. It will pause. Depending on your available memory of course.
    But our iPhones last while multitasking... They get the task done... It dosent matter how they get it done.. It does... And it dosent make the phone slow eaither....

I paid $1200 for a 17" HP DV7, i7 quadcore, 8GB RAM, a 1GB descrete Nvidia GPU, 500GB Sata Drive, HDMI, TV tuner, including a 3 year no questions asked(including battery) warranty when right next to it sat the MacbookPro that didn't even have the i5 in it for $2499. Then on top of that you would have had to purchase a warranty. How does this make me delusional. All I am saying is that you do not get what you are paying for when it comes to Apple. I am not hating on them. My phone is cool (if I don't hold it the wrong way) and I was impressed by the speed of the iPad that I just bought for my wife last week. You people take this way too seriously.
    Were not taking it offensively.... They are debating... But theres lots of stuff wrong...

FIRST the $1700 come with an i5 and 2100 come with i7. The 2499 one you were talking about comes with more....
    The Macbooks come with a 1 year apple care, replacement warranty. Our Macbooks come with software that you would buy and it would be hundreds of dollars.... Movie editing, Total Sound Editing, Photos. It has a big multitouch trackpad, island backlight keyboard, full aluminum construction. A 9-10 Battery (Way worth it), Nvidia, It is portable, thin, durable. Reliable.
    1920x1200 Resolution (Better than the Dv7). It has many outputs.
    The OSX operating system.

So really it does end up to be worth more. It all adds up to the full experience.
    Last edited by iphone?3gs; 12-01-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

in case anyone is curious or shares my ideas, here are my reasons for keeping my iphone instead of fully committing to verizon. mind you I have owned 4 droid(insert name here) phones 1 of which is an android phones but not a verizon droid-something phones. droid, droid eris, droid incredible, and t-mobile g1.

one of the main reasons i kept my iphone 3gS is: lcd screen. in broad sunlight i can read the screen no problem, try that with an amoled/super amoled screen, second there are apps that are non-negotiable as far as being without them on my phone that aren't available for android or have an android version that isn't nearly as good or simply require a lot of work and only work some of the time. i also like the fact that my charge/sync connector is on the bottom of my phone making it much easier to plug onto a dock rather than some weird position like the bottom side of it.

also the 30-pin dock connector is a lot more sturdy than the micro-usb that most android phones use. what else can i think of? oh yeah the on screen keyboard on the iphone is fantastic and all versions of motorola/htc/samsung android on screen keyboards are like pulling teeth. i never imagined it would be harder to type on the 4.3 inch motorola droid x than on my 3.5 inch iphone 3gS

and then there is the battery. i know the iphone doesn't get high marks for its battery life but take my droid incredible for example, the battery life on that thing was unbelievably ridiculous. in the time it took my iphone to get to say...80%, the incredible would be at 40%, at 65% on the iphone(still very usable), the inredible's battery was just about dead and continuously flashing the low battery icon. i had to spend an extra 40 dollars on a seidio extended battery for it and even then it was still always 10% less than my iphone. sure the iphone doesn't have a replaceable battery but i've never really needed one and knowing how the battery life is i make sure if i need to do something very battery hungry that i'm near a charger.

i will say though all the android phones i've used seem to have louder earpiece and speakerphone volumes than the iphone but there is a certain point at which it doesn't matter because its still too quiet.

the 5mp camera on my iphone 4 is much better than the 8mp camera that was on my droid incredible in terms of shutter speed and picture quality.

another thing probably trivial but still important to me, i only use 1 case on all my phones: the incase slider. they don't make it for any phone that isn't an iphone so thats another dealbreaker. i could perhaps find something similar for an android phone but i don't think i'd like it as much.

there is more but i don't feel like typing it all out right now. i'll update this post as necessary.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flintoff View Post
    yup no doubt iphone are way easy to use thats the reason all kids have it nowdays android for high tech pplz average person cant really understand it unless u play with it for few weeks

iphone + kids = scores

android + High tech pplz= double score

lolzz
    Okzzzzz? What is so "High Tech" about Android? It is not "High Tech" in anyway, just because it is more confusing to some people to understand it dosent mean its "High Tech".

Quote Originally Posted by Huck167378 View Post
    everybody knows that Mac stats suck compared to pcs. And custom builds beat them even more so. Take mine for example. I built it a year ago, I have a quad core 2.88 ghz processor overclocked to a stable 3.4 ghz, 8gb DDR2 ram, Nvidia 1gb DDR5 graphics card, 750w power supply, an Antec case that runs at 38 degrees, and a WD seagate 1tb harddrive. All this cost me just under $700. Add in Bose speakers, a 22" samsung monitor, and logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, I'm at $1000. Now show me any Mac that compares to that. Anything even remotely close. Don't worry... I'll wait. And before you start hurling insults, know that I wrote this all from my iPhone. Apple is great at making phones, great at overcharging for everything else, and great at making everyone believe that they are the greatest at everything. Are macs nice computers? Absolutely. Are macs worth paying double the amount of any other comparable computer? Nope.
    Already Beat....

K for 1199

iMac 21.5
    21.5-inch: 3.06GHz
    3.06GHz Intel Core i3 (Hmmm regular stock)
    1920-by-1080 resolution
    4GB (two 2GB) memory
    500GB hard drive1
    8x double-layer SuperDrive
    ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB

Stuff that your PC dosent have-
    Comes with Camera built in
    Multitouch Mouse
    Full Aluminum Thin Casing
    LED Display
    A Processor that is faster than your stock and isnt even overclocked....
    OSX
    iLife

OH AND FOR A LITTLE MORE HERE IS A MAC THAT OWNS YOURS

21.5-inch: 3.2GHz
    3.2GHz Intel Core i3
    1920-by-1080 resolution
    4GB (two 2GB) memory
    1TB hard drive
    8x double-layer SuperDrive
    ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB

Hmmm?
    Last edited by iphone?3gs; 12-01-2010 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

Green Apple
    Thanks
    you guys are serious. lol

+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234