+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hacktivate AirPrint on Mac, Windows Shared Printers

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by DarkDragonAn I thought every body knew about this. I had this on my mac for month's and it work like a charm, but your Mac need to
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragonAn View Post
    I thought every body knew about this. I had this on my mac for month's and it work like a charm, but your Mac need to be On. I wish Apple make it work out a your Mac/PC being ON. With the HP App you can print photos and scan without you Mac/PC being ON, so why can apple ask for this code and from HP to added to there iOS now that is a true AirPrint.
    Airprint via shared printers attached to Mac/PC CANNOT work if the computer is off as the computer is what a) attaches the printer to the network b) runs the backend server software

As far as the short list of supported HP devices that work without computer interaction I would guess are wifi printers and therefore can attach themselves to a network and as far as any server software is concerned I don't believe there is any in this particular case, chances are the printer drivers are built into iOS...

Green Apple
    Thanks

If you're on a mac... Printopia is another great simple solution. Does not mod the OS in any way and simply adds the option in preferences pane. Also allows printing to a pdf to save on mac.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Man I played around with this on Windows a couple of days ago and I can get everything up to choosing a printer and clicking print but it stalls in connecting. It's going to be awesome once I figure it out.

PS: On Windows follow the instructions to the letter, don't skip on spaces especially when putting in the commands.
    Yes, but you can cut from the website page and paste into your windows terminal screen.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thevmax For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (11-30-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

it got pulled due to a "patent troll", big surprise that seems to be all that big business can do right these days is get in huge "intellectual property" and "patent infringement" lawsuits...

Thanks

True you do need ur iMac or laptop open for airprint but the hp iprint app doesn't require it on or open.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    it got pulled due to a "patent troll", big surprise that seems to be all that big business can do right these days is get in huge "intellectual property" and "patent infringement" lawsuits...
    Yep.
    But not all patent trolls are big businesses.
    Some are small businesses with dreams of being big businesses
    that have seen what "intellectual property" did for guys like SCO.

Note 1: The "Santa Cruz Operation" was a medium-sized business that sold SYSV compatible Unix for PCs. They had a nice little niche market until Linux came up and ate their lunch. Being good sports, they reinvented themselves as Linux resellers and changed their name to SCO.

Note 2: When SCO fully transitioned from medium-sized business to bugsplat non-business (when they understood that reselling Linux would never work anyway) they became targets of vulture capitalists with those same "dreams of being a big business". The VCs fired all the engineers and reinvented themselves as the inventors of Unix. And we all know how well that worked out.

Video documentary of what working for SCO v1 was like:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ_W-puMwMY]YouTube - Sliders (SCO Follies)[/ame]

Thanks

looks cool, maybe more people can use it when the 4.2.1 untethered jb comes out
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It work like a sharm I have install 3 printer with this process

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This works great, thank you for posting the link.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeSlayer View Post
    I don't slay awesomeness. (Hint: My username means a slayer who is awesome).
    Thanks for not slaying it. :)

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

finally tried installing it today and got it working within five minutes using my ipad, works great, but like others are saying, im not sure how much im going to use it. i sometimes take notes in my classes with my ipad and it would be easier to just print from the ipad and not have to transfer them to my macbook then print.
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I hooked mine up win xp. iPad sees both of my network printers but will not connect. Ideas?

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12