+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MacBook Air with SSD, Light Peak in April?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default MacBook Air with SSD, Light Peak in April?

Apple said when the 2010 MacBook Air was released that it represented "the future of notebooks." If a new rumor is true, that future is coming in April. Mark Reschke of the Three Guys and a Podcast blog, who correctly predicted Apple would unveil the new MacBook Air at September's event, now says that April will bring an "all-out redesign" of the high-end MacBook Pro as the "big brother of the MacBook Air," incorporating a solid-state drive and Light Peak connectors. Reschke also asserts that the long-awaited upgrade of the Final Cut Studio video development platform will come in April.

The MacBook Pro was last refreshed in April of this year, with the addition of Core i5 and i7 options to the line. According to Reschke's analysis, it would make sense for the new MacBook Pro to drop in April, a year after the previous model went on the market, and at the same time as the National Association of Broadcasters' annual "NAB Show," when video professionals are shopping for the latest gear. Noting that Apple's premier Final Cut Studio video-editing suite was last updated in 2009 and that Steve Jobs recently emailed a customer saying he should "stay tuned and buckle up" for a 64-bit version, Reschke says the upgrade should also be due in April.

Reschke says the new model will have a 512 GB solid-state drive, no optical drive and Light Peak high-speed optical connectors. This last bit jibes well with an assessment  this month that new Macs would get Light Peak next year, and "earlier in the year than later." That was bolstered by disparaging comments from Steve Jobs that he didn't "see USB 3 taking off at this time." The emerging Light Peak standard promises a data transfer rate of 10 Gbps - twice that of USB 3 - to start, and up to 100 Gbps by the end of the decade.

The new model, Reschke claims, will be positioned at the upper end of the MacBook Pro line, with the traditional 15" Pro remaining at a $1,799 starting price. The new "Air-like" MacBook Pro, he says, will start at $1,999 and increase from there depending on additional options.

Source: 9to5Mac

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Snozberries (11-26-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

Light peak is sweet. can't wait to pick up a new mobo/chipset when they pop!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Daniel Ash View Post
    The new "Air-like" MacBook Pro, he says, will start at $1,999 and increase from there depending on additional options.]
    whoa! thats alot of mula! but good to see upgrades going on, although im not to sure about the "no optical drive" yea maybe on the airs but not to sure on the pro's....atleast there keeping the 15 inch "older" model there ive been renting movies lately and been watching them on my 13-inch pro(using the optical drive) this is the only thing that concerns me even though millions of people dont use it...some do

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

A new MacBook Air is dropping in April (per the article title) or a new MacBook Pro (per the article)? I'm confused... Not trying to be a jerk, but this article seems pretty hacked together. One minute we're talking about the M.B. Air, the next we're talking about the M.B. Pro and then we're talking about Final Cut Studio with no clear segues. A little too much rambling here.
    Last edited by stevelucky; 11-26-2010 at 12:01 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stevelucky For This Useful Post:

katmeef (11-26-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
    A new MacBook Air is dropping in April (per the article title) or a new MacBook Pro (per the article)? I'm confused... Not trying to be a jerk, but this article seems pretty hacked together. One minute we're talking about the M.B. Air, the next we're talking about the M.B. Pro and then we're talking about Final Cut Studio with no clear segues. A little too much rambling here.
    The article uses the MBA as a starting point to begin the discussion: the new MBP would be MBA-like (SSD, no optical drive).

SSD and Light Peak? OMG, I just c@m# in my pants.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I really do laugh at these stories.

"Someone said something" so lets make a big story about it.

Pick the latest Apple product & add some new tech and wow you have headline news. Your average MMI reader would probably predict the future of apple products with just as much sucess as all these so called journalists/anaylyst what ever title they give them selves.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,874 Times in 2,213 Posts

Pretty sweet I'll being staying tune and saving up some cash for April it sounds like
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Light peak is great on paper, but I don't get what the excitement can possibly be about at launch. Unless you are buying all new peripherals, you aren't going to get much use out of the technology. I am interested in seeing how well this does in a tech market where USB is king. Literally everything plugs into USB these days. Firewire, though faster, has also all but been abandoned for the "USB.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

2 things.

1. The title of this article is incredibly misleading. It states a new MacBook Air, with SSD and Light Peak technology will be announced in April, when the article is talking about updates to the MacBook Pro. This makes no sense. Along with throwing in random references to Final Cut Studio updates. WTF?

2. Apple would not get rid of the optical drive for MacBook Pro. It is supposed to be the work horse of the laptop family, and almost equivalent to the iMac, but with more portability. I can see Apple maybe abolishing the optical drive the the MacBook, but they wouldn't do that to MacBook Pro customers.

And also, (this is just my opinion) Light Peak wont take off, without Apple's backing. USB 3 may not be mainstream now, but with support for your older USB 2.0 devices, and its still blazing fast speed, it's what people want. With Light Peak, sure you get the speed, but you lose support for all your USB 2.0 devices. Not only that, but 5 GB/s is plenty of speed, and unless you're moving hundreds of gigabytes of data, it's all you need. The extra speed of Light Peak is unnecessary, and 10 GB/s wont be reached in real life anyways.

Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Light peak is great on paper, but I don't get what the excitement can possibly be about at launch. Unless you are buying all new peripherals, you aren't going to get much use out of the technology. I am interested in seeing how well this does in a tech market where USB is king. Literally everything plugs into USB these days. Firewire, though faster, has also all but been abandoned for the "USB.
    I can imagine that one of the first things you'd get is a 'Light Peak-to-USB' hub.
    Eventually when they do come out with a MBA with Light Peak, as long as they put the connector on the same side as the power connector, a Light Peak-based dock would be awesome: Drop your MBA in the dock and get full speed access to all USB/FW peripherals, external drives, ethernet (fast or gig), keyboard, mouse (BT or otherwise), second display, etc. You wouldn't need to have LP-specific peripherals, just the dock until LP-specific peripherals would be available. I imagine that they would be expensive at first, but cheaper than replacing all your existing peripherals (if they want to actually sell it.)

Thanks

Why is this in the iPhone News section?!

I want that new MBP and I have awesome speeds.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaMan05's Avatar
    Thanks

I believe the title is wrong.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I don't see Lightpeak happening. It would be great to have a port that nothing you own can plug into it though wouldn't it? And no device at a mass market consumer level is going to have lightpeak anytime soon either.

@quidam_brujah
    Maybe I'm missing your point, but what good would a Lightpeak to USB hub do? It's not going to make your USB devices go any faster. I guess you'd be able to plug, lets say, 5 USB devices into 1 lightpeak port without the USB devices suffering any loss in speed as if you used a normal USB Hub.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    I can imagine that one of the first things you'd get is a 'Light Peak-to-USB' hub.
    Eventually when they do come out with a MBA with Light Peak, as long as they put the connector on the same side as the power connector, a Light Peak-based dock would be awesome: Drop your MBA in the dock and get full speed access to all USB/FW peripherals, external drives, ethernet (fast or gig), keyboard, mouse (BT or otherwise), second display, etc. You wouldn't need to have LP-specific peripherals, just the dock until LP-specific peripherals would be available. I imagine that they would be expensive at first, but cheaper than replacing all your existing peripherals (if they want to actually sell it.)
    LOL Actually, a "hub" is not even necessary. What most people don't understand about lightpeak is that it is more about the internals and protocol than the connector. They can have a usb, a firewire, or even a serial connector using lightpeak technology if they want to. So technically, lightpeak is reverse compatible with almost anything they want to give it a connector for. My guess is that it will use a USB connector, thus alleviating reverse compatibility issues.

Thanks

this was basically a no brainer. when you say that your new model of notebooks is the future of notebooks of course your other models will follow suit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    Of course there wouldn't need to be LP specific peripherals. My point was that I see being an early adopter of this tech being a little pointless. It would be much smarter to wait, see if it catches on, and if it does jump on the bandwagon. This has a HUGE competitor in USB3. Although USB3 isn't as fast, it has the backward compatibility thing going for it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Quads View Post
    I really do laugh at these stories.

"Someone said something" so lets make a big story about it.

Pick the latest Apple product & add some new tech and wow you have headline news. Your average MMI reader would probably predict the future of apple products with just as much sucess as all these so called journalists/anaylyst what ever title they give them selves.
    +1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Definitely gonna upgrade my pro when this comes out it looks like!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It would make more sense if they upgrade their Mac Pros with LP first rather than the MacBooks. Last te I checked, LP is for the internal peripherals, so that means they need to make HDD or SSD with optical connections first right? Anyone hear anything about those yet? Or video cards with LP support? Imagine SSD+LP=woah

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonkronix View Post
    . Last te I checked, LP is for the internal peripherals
    It's for both, kind of like sata and esata except that esata never took off (though it's the same exact thing, just an external port).