Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Most Kids 6-12 Want an iPad

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Most Kids 6-12 Want an iPad

Kids in the US as young as six years old are most interested in iPads for Christmas, with iPod touches and game consoles topping their letters to Santa. This is according to a recently-released survey by the Nielsen Company. Older consumers are somewhat less interested in the tablet, focusing on other big-ticket items like computers, TVs and smartphones.

"With Black Friday rapidly approaching, parents may want to get up early Friday morning to find deals," Nielsen said in a press release earlier this week announcing that "a recent survey shows their kids are eyeing some wallet-stretching electronics this holiday season." The report said that the iPad is the most desirable technology product, with 31% of kids in the US aged 6 to 12 said they are interested in "buying" an iPad within the next six months. The second most popular gift request is an iPod touch, which as the report notes outpaced the Nintendo DS and PlayStation 3 as a gaming console, and tied with a computer at 29%. The Nintendo DS/DSi/DS Lite came in third with 25%.

The survey results were broken down for people both younger and older than 13 years of age. A computer is the most-desired item for older respondents, with 20%, closely followed by TV and a non-iPhone smartphone at 19% each. The iPad is third most popular among older consumers with 18% saying they wanted one in the next six months.

Source: Cult of Mac

Thanks
    Thanked 15,545 Times in 7,107 Posts

My kids are 3 and 1 and they love my (I say that loosely as it seems it is more theirs at time) iPad.

^^ You have a really intelligent 1 year old.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to punjabi212 For This Useful Post:

GenuisWork (11-25-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

look who their asking, 6-12 year olds. To me it's a luxury just like a tv or game console. I have a PS3 and a 50 inch plasma but I don't use any of them. They're just there for aesthetics lol I'd rather use my money on something I'll actually use. I'm tired of using money stupidly lol

Thanks
    Thanked 15,545 Times in 7,107 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by punjabi212 View Post
    ^^ You have a really intelligent 1 year old.
    She sure is

She is almost 2 though.

This is very true. If they want an iPad tell them that the iPod Touch has a camera has more apps and fits in your pocket. An iPad is basically a giant iPod Touch made for people who like to blog and stuff. If your looking for a gaming device go with the iPod Touch, its a much better choice for children ages 6-12. Make sure that they get the message that an iPod Touch is better and cheaper. That's it and I hope this helps you save money this Christmas!

My 4yr old flips out when you take it away from him. My 7yr old isn't as bad. It's the wave of the future. Never too early to start. Just have to set limits.
    Last edited by jamriman; 11-24-2010 at 12:09 PM.

My 7yr old (8 tomorrow!) prefers the iPad over the 'touch for the same reason most kids do: 9.7" vs 3.5" screen. Small children do better with the bigger screen as they are still working out the dexterity-thing. It runs the same apps -- and more (anything not requiring a camera). For video, they also prefer the bigger screen. It's the perfect back-seat companion in the car. Why have a DS, and a iPod (for audio) and a small DVD player when an iPad will do? We get apps that usually emphasize something educational with reading [various books], spelling [This Week's Words], typing (writing on the iPad is more difficult but, we try) and math [Mathboard]. We also play together with science related stuff like Star Walk/Pocket Universe, NASA, and The Elements. She also watches the Nature stuff on Netflix on the iPad when "there's nothing good on TV".

my little sister reflects this study. that's what she's been asking for since like august

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I bought an iPad for my 2 year old son last April and he loves it. He doesn't use it as much since the new iPod came out because he digs the camera and facetime.

There are so many great educational games and apps for iOS.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

id get em laptop from toys r us. perfect so they dont have to bother me with my ipad nd smudge fingers nd touch things that's not for their age.

Lol @ the PSP's insurmountable unpopularity!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    My 7yr old (8 tomorrow!) prefers the iPad over the 'touch for the same reason most kids do: 9.7" vs 3.5" screen. Small children do better with the bigger screen as they are still working out the dexterity-thing. It runs the same apps -- and more (anything not requiring a camera). For video, they also prefer the bigger screen. It's the perfect back-seat companion in the car. Why have a DS, and a iPod (for audio) and a small DVD player when an iPad will do? We get apps that usually emphasize something educational with reading [various books], spelling [This Week's Words], typing (writing on the iPad is more difficult but, we try) and math [Mathboard]. We also play together with science related stuff like Star Walk/Pocket Universe, NASA, and The Elements. She also watches the Nature stuff on Netflix on the iPad when "there's nothing good on TV".
    My kid loves those apps too

not too surprising the iPad is universally liked my friends granddaughter is 3 and loves their iPad she plays games on it all the time. kids are a lot smarter nowadays then most people will give them credit for

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I am 14 and I love my iPad. But they are kinda expensive but I got mine for free. iOS 4.2.1 makes it feel even awesomer. I also have a good bit on that list but I am 14 so I don't count. Haha
    I like apple stuff.
    If you see the username "McMichael96" anywhere, it's probably me.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Our Principal for the school I work at is wanting to get two iPads for each classroom (30) for the kids to use. They're really are some terrific apps out there that make learning fun for the kids.

im 14 and the iPad would be one of he last things i want, its to be and such an inconvenience, i wouldnt be able to take it almost anywhere, im better of with my laptop and and my iPod touch

just asking, how did you get one for free?
    Last edited by vruls; 11-24-2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

They need a new survey. Kids 6-12 Amount of respect and appreciation of money, time and care of the device.

IPad: 2%
    PS3/Xbox: 1%
    Everything else: -50%

Anyone feel me on that one.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mookest For This Useful Post:

arghwhymustiregister (11-24-2010), eg6motion (11-24-2010), punjabi212 (11-24-2010)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast