Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Fix iOS 4.2ís Disappearing Music Bug

Default Fix iOS 4.2ís Disappearing Music Bug

It seems that Apple is having a tough time ironing out all of the bugs in the recent iOS 4.2 update. First, the iPadís Wi-Fi connection issues that caused a delay in the release of the update and now another bug has popped up. Fortunately, this bug is more of an inconvenience than a real hindrance. Some people have reported music mysteriously disappearing on the iPhone and iPod Touch, right after updating to iOS 4.2. The music still appears on the iOS device when connected to iTunes but does not show up on the device itself. This appears to be a database bug, as the music files are still actually on the iOS device, but you just canít access them.

Fortunately, the solution to this problem is quite easy. All that is required to fix this bug is to plug in your iOS device and launch iTunes. Then in the sidebar, click the arrow next to your device and select music. Play any song and sync your device again. When you go to play a song on your iPhone using the iPod app, all of your music should be available for listening.

This is an easy solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place. Hopefully Apple will release another update soon to take care of this problem. A few more beta testers would probably be a good idea as well.

Source: 9to5 Mac

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (11-23-2010), jcbhome (11-23-2010), turkey26 (11-24-2010), winex82 (11-23-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

updates one after the other. dont they test firmwares before they push the update out. so stupid all that money and no testers.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delusion950 For This Useful Post:

Buffolus (11-23-2010), holygamer22 (11-23-2010)

At least it's an easy fix. I'm still mad at 3.1.2 for not lettin me sync if I had any voice memos.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

id rather have firmware being tested than have update after update after update ..... shouldnt even happen as author mentioned. now that they have many developers they should start hiring testers.

glad i havent updated yet. i just had a feeling that problems would arise from this update considering how long it took to release and how many GMs they went through. i expect they'll have problems with 4.2.2 as well

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple never used to have stupid bugs like this in their firmware releases. What happened to the extensive testing before release? Up until 4.x there weren't any major problems on any device, I don't think.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

I had this happen to me yesterday when I updated. All I did was a soft reboot and emptied my Multitask tray. Once I opened my iPod is said loading and everything was back..

Thanks for the heads up and how to fix the problem, saved me a "wtf?" moment lol.

Aw, and after all the 'hurry-up and release the update" posts from everyone, there are still problems. I'd be happy if Apple took its time. Of course, it's so intent on making it difficult for us to jailbreak or unlock, even though the courts have held that those two items are now legal, that it has lost track of how to make a good firmware that works upon release.
    Senior

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mr117 For This Useful Post:

mADMAN8 (11-23-2010)

Rumor is 4.3 is coming mid december.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

mADMAN8 (11-23-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by staterunner180 View Post
    Apple never used to have stupid bugs like this in their firmware releases. What happened to the extensive testing before release? Up until 4.x there weren't any major problems on any device, I don't think.
    Their software is falling in line with their shoddy hardware problems they are having across all of their products. Apple needs to take a serious look at their QA program.

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

As mr117 said....all Apple is concern with with these updates it seems is unjailbreaking people's phones by sometimes masking them to bug fixes like proximity issue. I'm still on 4.1 and don't plan on updating iOS unless some real evidence of improvements.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Rumor is 4.3 is coming mid december.
    heard this on iphonehacks.com, i would imagine there would be testers but im sure they don't do any real world testing so it doesnt get out to the public like the new iphone
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Is anyone experiencing the iPhone slowing down after 4.2 ??

This makes me wonder if there are any more bugs. Oh well, I'm not updating if and until 4.3 has something interesting. 4.2's only useful if you really want find my iPhone (which isn't worth the headache of incompatibility issues) or everything in your house is WiFi enabled.

Thanks

I haven't had this issue, at least not yet, but wanted to let everyone know about my little adventure today. I downloaded the update last night and tried an upgrade today. I'm not too worried about a jailbreak, but if I feel froggy, I'll try the tethered one. My iPad froze halfway through the install. I force quit iTunes, put the iPad into DFU and tried again. No luck. Or the third time. I decided not to fight with it and made an appointment at my apple store. This is where something really interesting happened. My iPad was at the connect to itunes screen after a failed update attempt. They plugged it into their computer and clicked "Restore and Update." I watched every single step they took. iTunes said it was contacting apple's servers and proceeded to restore and update my iPad. Just to make sure everything went ok I unlocked it and checked my version. It was working great on 3.2.2. The apple rep did not point it towards and firmware files and iTunes verified the update twice during the install. I'm not sure if the process if different for iPads, but maybe apple isn't signing the restores and updates for them. Like I said I don't know much about it.

Turns out my original problem with it being frozen half way through was because of iTunes. I updated to 10.1 about 2 weeks ago, not too long after it came out and was cleared ok for jailbreakers. Software Update said I had no new software to download. Just for the hell of it I double checked my version. 10.1 build (52). I downloaded iTunes from apple's site and installed it with no problems. Turns out they are on build (54) now and I could restore and update my iPad just fine on this newer version of 10.1.

Just thought I would share this in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

Shoddy hardware problems? I don't have any of those with three working Apple computers (an iSight rev 3, a 24" iMac and a MacBook Pro), three iPods (Classic 40gb, Classic 160gb, and a cute little Nano), three iPhones (3G, 3GS, and a 4) and an iPad WiFi. In more than 12 years of buying Macs, I've had two issues: a worn-out HD (which cost me $100 to replace) on an old Green iMac and a display issue on an iSight rev 3 (which Apple replaced for free). My issues aren't with hardware. I don't like their corporate attitude at this point vis a vis jailbreaking.
    Senior

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mr117 For This Useful Post:

jcarroll (11-25-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.x Blah Blah Blah!
    Quote Originally Posted by maddawg05 View Post
    As mr117 said....all Apple is concern with with these updates it seems is unjailbreaking people's phones by sometimes masking them to bug fixes like proximity issue. I'm still on 4.1 and don't plan on updating iOS unless some real evidence of improvements.
    Agreed!
    I'm on 4.1 and it seems the safer way to go!

Reply to Cory:
    I just checked my iTunes Version. It is 10.1.0.56 ...
    God only knows what it will be tomorrow!
    Last edited by thevmax; 11-23-2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    Shoddy hardware problems? I don't have any of those with three working Apple computers (an iSight rev 3, a 24" iMac and a MacBook Pro), three iPods (Classic 40gb, Classic 160gb, and a cute little Nano), three iPhones (3G, 3GS, and a 4) and an iPad WiFi. In more than 12 years of buying Macs, I've had two issues: a worn-out HD (which cost me $100 to replace) on an old Green iMac and a display issue on an iSight rev 3 (which Apple replaced for free). My issues aren't with hardware. I don't like their corporate attitude at this point vis a vis jailbreaking.
    I don't know, I guess he means the lack of white iPhone 4 and antennae-gate. My iPod touch 4 and 2 are fine. The 4 still is, anyway.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Zokunei:
    I too am wondering if there are any more bugs! It might be a good idea to stay at 4.1 until 5.0 comes out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast