+ Reply
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4.2 Jailbreak Status Update

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
With the release of Firmware version 4.2.1, rises the concern of jailbreaking and unlock compatibility. If your waiting for an unlock, wait for the ability to create custom 4.2.1 firmwares.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default iOS 4.2 Jailbreak Status Update

With the release of Firmware version 4.2.1, rises the concern of jailbreaking and unlock compatibility. If your waiting for an unlock, wait for the ability to create custom 4.2.1 firmwares. If you’re not an unlocker, then there is good news for jailbreaking your devices.

Those of you who own an iPhone3G, older iPhone3GS, and non-MC iPod touch 2G will benefit the most with this news from the Dev-Team. They explain that due to a combination of the original pwnage2 exploit, the arm7_go exploit, 24kpwn, and limera1n, your device is “just as jailbreakable as ever.”

For those of you with the newer devices, geohot’s limera1n exploit, will actually work just fine. The unfortunate news is that, as of right now, the 4.2.1 jailbreak is *tethered* on new devices. What is a tethered jailbreak? "A tethered jailbreak means that each time your device loses battery power or needs to be rebooted, you must attach it to a PC or Mac to boot into the jailbroken state."

@comex, the guy behind creating tether hacks, is working hard as usual on an untethered 4.2.1 jailbreak, but unfortunately at this point, it will require you to have your 4.1 SHSH blobs in order to use it.

So when does all this 4.2.1 jailbreak action happen? Well if you’re a JB developer or tinkerer, you’ve already probably used the redsn0w mentioned in our last post to jailbreak 4.2.1 and at least get SSH working. But beyond that, there are still some last minute issues with MobileSubstrate and comex’s kernel patches that are being fixed. We’ll tweet and post a blog update when it’s all available (we hate to give ETAs, but barring any unforeseen problems, probably later today).
    As usual, it is important to make sure you have your 4.1 SHSH blobs for all your devices saved at least via Cydia. It's going to start to be even more important to make sure your SHSH blobs get saved as new firmwares come out.

ultrasn0w unlock: After redsn0w is officially released with the new Cydia and kernel patches, we’ll be able to assess the unlock situation. It’s already looking very promising though, so expect the unlock for the 3G and 3GS to be coming this week. The i4 unlock is taking more effort though, and no further concrete info is available about that yet.
    Source: Dev-Team
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 11-22-2010 at 06:16 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nick Hesson For This Useful Post:

idagia (11-23-2010), iSkream (11-22-2010), jcbhome (11-23-2010), reaves205 (11-22-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me thecrunked's Avatar
    Thanks

great news for us jailbreak addicts

iPhone? More like MyPhone ericwall's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't get why you would want to jailbreak an iPad now that it has multitasking and folders...and is there a untethered jailbreak for iPod Touch 2g non mc...if not then I'll stick with 4.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    can 3gs unlockable for 4.1 yet ??

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahaka For This Useful Post:

florevil (11-22-2010), oarce12 (11-26-2010)

Thanks

Can't wait to jailbreak my iPad with this new 4.2.1

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just got an iPad and its killing to not be able to update but i need the jailbreak lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

iphone 3gs new bootrom on 4.0.1 can I use the shsh blobs of 4.0.1 and not 4.1? to jailbreak untethered?

Thanks

Come on unlock!! Unlcock! Unlcock

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iphone?3gs For This Useful Post:

florevil (11-22-2010)

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ericwall View Post
    I don't get why you would want to jailbreak an iPad now that it has multitasking and folders...and is there a untethered jailbreak for iPod Touch 2g non mc...if not then I'll stick with 4.1
    Too many reasons to list them all. But Customization, and tweaks. Just to name a couple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Soo.. I'm confused. I have an iPhone 4 with blobs saved for 4.1.
    Do I need to wait..?

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't get why you would want to ask such a dumb question. This is "modmyi". The focus and purpose of this website is to facilitate iDevice users who want more from their devices than Apple allows for. By your logic no one has any reason to jailbreak an iPhone, and iPod touch, or an iPad. Take your nonsense to another website.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to politicalslug For This Useful Post:

csglinux (11-22-2010), deshawn1680 (11-23-2010), IcerMize (11-23-2010), Jahooba (11-23-2010), OvMeyb (11-23-2010), shirwan72 (11-23-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 14,785 Times in 6,878 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Green Chicken View Post
    Do I need to wait..?
    If you want to jailbreak and/or unlock then yes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ahaka View Post
    can 3gs unlockable for 4.1 yet ??
    If you are already unlocked, you'll need to wait for PwnageTool and redsn0w to be updated so that you can update through custom firmware, which won't upgrade your baseband.

If you have the 5.14.02 baseband, you'll have to wait until the new unlock is released. Since 4.2 has been officially released, the new unlock should be coming out shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by xgus69 View Post
    iphone 3gs new bootrom on 4.0.1 can I use the shsh blobs of 4.0.1 and not 4.1? to jailbreak untethered?
    Yes, you can restore back to 4.0.1 via SHSH blobs since you have them saved, and you will be able to have an untethered jailbreak.

Do I need to wait..?
    If you rely on an unlock, do not update to 4.2.1. If you upgrade to 4.2.1, you will lose your jailbreak (as the 4.2.1 jailbreak is currently not available) and as I mentioned before, your unlock too. Once 4.2.1 receives its jailbreak, it will be tethered until an untethered jailbreak is created.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    If you want to jailbreak and/or unlock then yes.
    So what am I waiting for, exactly? Which tool?

I don't need an unlock btw.

Thanks

I just bought the iPad 16Gb Wi-Fi if I update to 4.2 what is the best method to jailbreak it?

bestman50

Thanks

So what am I waiting for, exactly? Which tool?

I don't need an unlock btw.
    If you update to 4.2.1, you will lose your jailbreak. You'll need to use limera1n or greenpois0n (I believe it should work, since it uses the same limera1n exploit) to jailbreak, but you will be tethered, meaning you will have to connect your iPhone to your computer whenever you need to reboot or your battery dies.

The untethered jailbreak is still being worked on.

^^ Info was also available in the first post...
    Last edited by dotFIVE; 11-22-2010 at 06:43 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dotFIVE For This Useful Post:

Snozberries (11-23-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

what happens if you don't have access to a computer.. say you are driving or flying and you suddenly loose power, or if you have to reboot your phone for whatever reason.. will it boot back to normal state so the phone can be used???

Thanks

So why would want to jailbreak and ipod touch then? It has folders and multitasking too

Thanks

If we are jailbroken on 4.1 iPhone 4 with our SHSHs backed up, will our jb be untethered for 4.2.1? Because i though it said earlier it would, but it doesn't seem like that now
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks
    Thanked 14,785 Times in 6,878 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    If we are jailbroken on 4.1 iPhone 4 with our SHSHs backed up, will our jb be untethered for 4.2.1? Because i though it said earlier it would, but it doesn't seem like that now
    Right now no. But they are working on a way so that it will be.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

IcerMize (11-23-2010)

+ Reply
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast