Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4.2 Drops Today

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iOS 4.2 Drops Today

Apple is releasing iOS 4.2.1 today for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, finally unifying all iOS product lines under the same firmware version. As a part of the update, Apple will make Find My iPhone available for free to owners of newer iOS devices that can run iOS 4.2.

Ahead of the release - expected to drop at 10 am Pacific time in the US, 6pm GMT - Apple updated the iOS webpage to highlight all of the iOS 4 functionality iPhone and iPod touch users have been able to use for months that will now be coming to the iPad. "iOS 4.2 makes the iPad a completely new product, just in time for the holiday season," Steve Jobs was quoted as saying in the official Apple press release. "The iPad with iOS 4.2 will define the target that other tablets will aspire to, but very few, if any, will ever be able to hit."

iOS 4.2 users can create a free Find My iPhone account on any iPhone 4, iPad, or iPod touch (4th generation), but not on older devices. This is possibly an explanation for the error messages in the beta that talked about devices that did not "qualify for free MobileMe service." Find My iPhone was previously only available to users with MobileMe accounts.

iPad users with iOS 4.2 will now be able to rent TV episodes directly to their tablet using iTunes for viewing within 30 days of download or 48 hours after as well as find and highlight specific words and phrases on web pages in Mobile Safari. In order to woo business users, Apple's also included "enhanced enterprise support" like stronger security, improved device management capabilities and better enterprise integration. iOS 4.2 also has support for 25 new languages, including Korean, Portuguese and - finally - the Traditional Chinese characters used in Taiwan. The iPad has not been available on the island until now because it only supported the Simplified Chinese characters used on the mainland.

Source: Apple
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 11-22-2010 at 09:05 AM.

sweet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

\o finally. TGIM - Well if u don't want to...TGYWU - Thank God You Woke Up

Thanks

annnnddd jailbreak lol
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

Was hoping there would be something with proximity sensor fixes. As i'm still having issues with mine.

don't criticize me for being clueless but is there anything that would make it worthwhile for me to upgrade my 3g to iOS 4.2?

Oh hey the one MobileMe feature I wanted now free, yay!

So no Find My Iphone for my 3GS?! Even though it works if you pay for a MobileMe account?!

I don't want to go off on one if I've got the wrong end of the stick, but if I haven't - that SUCKS.

Default No Find My iPhone for 3Gs?
    That's kind of BS. the 3Gs gets all the features of iOS 4.x & yet we don't get this feature? There's obviously no technical reason they can't do this so why hold back? Oh that's right, Apple needs to do little things to force an upgrade.

Sometimes I do hate Apple.

~Tario70

Now we just need the JB to drop. Perhaps a Thanksgiving Surprise? We shall see.

I'm not seeing the update yet here in AZ. Ayone else?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kmmxracer View Post
    I'm not seeing the update yet here in AZ. Ayone else?

"Ahead of the release - expected to drop at 10 am Pacific time in the US"

Because it's not 10am Pacific time yet. Still have about 1 1/2 hours to go.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tario70 View Post
    That's kind of BS. the 3Gs gets all the features of iOS 4.x & yet we don't get this feature? There's obviously no technical reason they can't do this so why hold back? Oh that's right, Apple needs to do little things to force an upgrade.

Sometimes I do hate Apple.

~Tario70

Now we just need the JB to drop. Perhaps a Thanksgiving Surprise? We shall see.
    lol theres no technical reason of why, us 3G users, can't use this free service as well. I've always used it on the iPhone 2G and 3G while PAYING.

I guess the magical word in that sentence is PAYING.
    DiTO

4.0 is basically useless with iPhone 3G
    4.0-new dock for 3G
    4.1-Nothing for 3G
    4.2-New Voice Memos Icon for 3G
    Apple- dont leave the users who can't get the iPhone 4 and are stuck with the 3G in the dust. wHO'S with me?!

Quote Originally Posted by TypeRBass View Post
    Ahead of the release - expected to drop at 10 am Pacific time in the US

Because it's not 10am Pacific time yet. Still have about 1 1/2 hours to go.
    Apple does everything 10am PST which translates to 1pm for use on the right coast.

.........and que the demands for the jb/unlock. This thread is about to be flooded with nubcakes who locked their phone 2 months ago

Quote Originally Posted by caleb9707 View Post
    4.0 is basically useless with iPhone 3G
    4.0-new dock for 3G
    4.1-Nothing for 3G
    4.2-New Voice Memos Icon for 3G
    Apple- dont leave the users who can't get the iPhone 4 and are stuck with the 3G in the dust. wHO'S with me?!
    exactly. i don't know why i can get all of iOS4's functionality to work on my 3G but apple can't.

Quote Originally Posted by gthugballin View Post
    annnnddd jailbreak lol
    hope so soon....cuz im not gonna update unless there is.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Apple TV is expected to be updated to 4.1 today which will fully enable AirPlay for video streaming which is what I'm really waiting for!

I thought I read somewhere that they already jailbroke the beta version. Prolly won't be long.

I love staff writters here, you send them the tip, post the news, and they dont even bother to acknowledge you gave them the heads up!!!

iOS 4.2 released for the iPad

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ruben00 For This Useful Post:

gthugballin (11-22-2010), JLick (11-22-2010), NessLookAlike (11-22-2010), spazturtle (11-22-2010)

Yay! Now just gotta wait for the JB to drop so I can finally bring my iPad up to speed

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast