Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: European Carriers Threaten "War" Over Built-in SIM

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattoligy View Post
    Basically the service providers in Europe give you a "free" handset if you sign up for a 24mo contract (which are usually about £40-50pcm! Now if you work that out overall, that's over £1000! So the handset is far from "free"...

If people start getting their phones direct from apple they pay about £500, half the amount! And if you get a " sim only" deal it's about £10-20pcm with NO contract exceeding One month!
    That 40/50 a month is not just to have a phone. It usually includes all the calls and texts and internet you'll use in that month. You're not spending £1000 on the phone.

You can buy your iPhone direct from Apple and unlocked already and put in your £10-20 a month SIM. We all ready have the option and freedom to do this with any GSM carrier globally.
    But with this internal Apple SIM, we'll only have the option to program in the networks Apple wants us to.

this would honestly suck for customers that, if for some reason, they needed to switch to a backup phone. with built-in SIM you would have to go to your carrier and have them switch your number to a different phone instead of being able to do it yourself

Quote Originally Posted by ShredNasty View Post
    I bet apple is s-s-shaking in their boots. Voda who? They'll shut up and be happy that iPhones exist and find a way to remain profitable. To force the euronazis to stop the 3 year contract bs is awesome for consumers.
    euronazi?
    are you a general idiot?
    rest is right.

Quote Originally Posted by staterunner180 View Post
    I don't understand why this would affect sales for the phone. People buy unsubsidized iPhones from Apple all the time and put their own SIM cards in. The carriers could still sell subsidized iPhones at a lower price and people would still buy them. The only reason to buy an unsubsidized iPhone would be if you wanted to use it on a carrier not officially supported, such as T-Mobile.
    No ****, and thats the problem. If you can't put your own sim card in the phone, its useless and can't be used on other carriers. So if you buy a phone outright, no subsidy, it still needs to be used on the network you bought it from.

Master Themer (aka gaBzii) jokerg7's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,069 Posts

I would hate a built in sim. If u buy from one carrier you can't unlock and change the SIM for overseas!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I could care less about the carriers ......

This is potentially a MAJOR BLOW to you and me -- the consumer.

With an bedded SIM, it will be more difficult for consumers to make quick and easy carrier changes and much easier for Apple to lock us out!!

Well, so far as I've heard, apple has abandoned it's plans for an embedded sim, but who really knows, apple does things at the last minute sometimes without anyone even knowing about it..this could b one of those times just to shut the carrier exces up

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

If they go with embedded sims, I will switch to a different phone, period.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

I wouldn't like the unsubsidized part at all, would have wait longer to get the phone
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Thinking Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    It would sweet if you could program several carriers on one sim and then choose provider from settings
    Now... that IS thinking outside the box!

Thanks

The iphone 4 is still selling strong at 600-1000 locked or unlocked on the bay, so people will pay whatever to be cool.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^Sure is ... as long as I get to choose which ones, including non-Apple-authorized carriers.

Thanks

As long as it would be possible to manually input your ICCID into the phone, either legitimately or through our nefarious methods, I see no major P.I.T.A. in an embedded SIM as opposed to a removable card.

Now why the carriers are kvetching so much is beyond me, especially if ability to change ICCID (and therefore networks) is severely limited by Apple, even if the unit is factory unlocked.

Unless they're afraid people will use other people's ICCIDs/IMSIs and rack up illicit charges/steal other's communiqués.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Built in sims = crap. If I wanted to have to go through reprograming my phone every time I swapped handsets I would of stayed with sprint.
    [SIGPIC]

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

All this is going to do is drive everyone to prepaid plans. People will stop getting subsidized phones and the Carriers will lose. That is what they are worried about.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Carriers don't want to subsidize phones, because they have to front the money to Apple. They don't want to have stores, because that costs money. And they're developing their own integrated SIM, so they're essentially doing what Apple is doing. They just want their monthly fee for providing lousy service, too expensive and always limited text messages/minutes/data. I still haven't figured out what they're squawking about, because no matter what they do, they'll end up being the stupid data pipes they've always been. Granted, giving Apple yet more control to close the system is never a good thing (the obsession with trying to remove all the screws has gotta stop).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    If they go with embedded sims, I will switch to a different phone, period.
    Why? I don't know what you'd lose with imbedded sims in Mississippi, and I don't know what you'd gain by going elsewhere. It would completely be your loss.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

It's a good thing it looks like Apple has backed off from this. Not sure why this story hasn't been posted on the main page considering I read it the other day...

http://gizmodo.com/5695562/apple-aba...phone-sim-plan

AppleInsider | Carriers' threats force Apple to abandon embedded iPhone SIM plans

So no worries people.
    Last edited by Tario70; 11-22-2010 at 10:36 AM.

What about the fact that we would all have to tell Apple, through iTunes, what we are doing with THEIR iPhones?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12