Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Voice Finally on App Store

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Google Voice Finally on App Store

Almost a year and a half since they first submitted it to Apple, Google finally has their own Google Voice app for the iPhone on the App Store. But it's an extremely different environment now, with many alternatives for both jailed and jailbroken iPhones, and it's unclear that the name-brand app is a significant improvement.

Google first submitted the Google Voice app 16 months ago, but its application languished in limbo: not approved, but not rejected either. Other third-party apps that operated as front-ends to the Google Voice service were explicitly rejected, however, with Apple claiming that they duplicated native iPhone functionality. After complaints from Google and US lawmakers, the Federal Communications Commission sent a request for information about the Google Voice submission to not only Apple but AT&T as well, based on suspicions that AT&T had unfairly blocked the app for use on its network. AT&T blamed it on Apple, and Apple, for its part, said the app "appears to alter the iPhone’s distinctive user experience by replacing the iPhone’s core mobile telephone functionality and Apple user interface with its own user interface for telephone calls, text messaging and voicemail."

Apple updated the approval guidelines for apps on September 9 of this year removing any reference to "duplicate functionality" and opening the way for apps like GV Mobile, which made it to the App Store after being available on Cydia since July 2009. Google's app provides much of the same functionality, but can't run on an iPad or iPod touch, like the GV Mobile + app can. What's more, the Google app has some fit and finish issues: the Add Contact button on the dialer doesn't work, for example.

You can't beat the price (free), but in this case, you get what you pay for. Time will tell if Google puts significant development resources into the app.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/googl...318698524?mt=8

Source: TUAW
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 11-17-2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: added itunes link

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Buffolus (11-17-2010), reaves205 (11-17-2010), turkey26 (11-18-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Yay for official Google Voice app! This app will really shine once its been polished and got all the bugs worked out. I did notice the "Add Contact" function not working as well. We'll see how this catches on. I just wish I got the area code I wanted. I got an Arizona area code... chances of people by me (Chicago) picking up a call from Arizona area code is slim. Oh well.. IT WORKS.

Canadian store still doesn't have it

Um I'm sorry for my ignorant and noobish question but what exactly is this google voice how is it any good to use on an iPhone, someone please?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

finally and free

Thanks
    is this one better than GVoice? what are the major differences?
    DiTO

Thanks

San if you don't have google voice at this point you don't need it....
    I use it as my second line for my business. Google it and you see what is google voice

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by San23 View Post
    Um I'm sorry for my ignorant and noobish question but what exactly is this google voice how is it any good to use on an iPhone, someone please?
    It's a service that gives you a real phone number. You can receive and send free text messages. So you can save $140 a year if use Google voice. I would highly recommend it it's extremely efficient and simple to use.

Best part is you can text from your PC or MAC too.

Meh google voice is only for USA not in Spain :-(

the UI is really crappy. The messages and text is very small, you cannot count the number of characters and more so it goes on in a continuous line rather then popping the next word on the second line. Makes it difficult to make any corrections. I like Heywire for SMS's but GV makes the SMS's and notifications more consistent.
    --If I Helped, Please Hit Thanks!--

Thanks

Not having to use Notifio for Push of Texts like I have to do with GV Mobile + is a big bonus for me.

Thanks

this just in

Modmyi.com finally realizing that the google voice app is on the app store.

happend yesterday my friends
    Official Google Voice for iPhone hits iTunes App Store | TiPb
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

Quote Originally Posted by gthugballin View Post
    this just in

Good for you. It'd be more useful if you told us that the Google Voice app still USES YOUR MINUTES. So it's not free VOIP like most of us hoped..

wow, you guys finally posted this...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    obviously its not voip. cmon guys. in any case, the actual app sucks. i have a ton of text messages in my google voice and it is soooo slow in loading. they need to majoring work on this for it to be usable.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone3G[S] View Post
    wow, you guys finally posted this...
    I searched the member written news section and didn't see YOU post anything about it so you have no room to talk. Troll.

Quote Originally Posted by gthugballin View Post
    this just in

I just went back and read your last 50 posts or so and you have not contributed anything to this forum so you have no room to criticize either. Troll.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 11-17-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

hollow0 (11-17-2010), Madman604x (11-20-2010), moon#pie (11-17-2010), turkey26 (11-18-2010)

add contact button works fine you have to type a number in first then hit the add contact. Everything seems to be working with out issues and I love the push function.

only works on iphone. no ipod support.

Twitter: @tshoults

sadly it is for u.s only.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast