+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Voice Finally on App Store

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I love the message playback for transcribed messages. It shows the transcription while playing the message and highlights the word (or word it though that sound was). It definitely helps
    Banned
    Thanks

I love the message playback for transcribed messages. It shows the transcription while playing the message and highlights the word (or word it though that sound was). It definitely helps when trying to figure out why certain words were improperly transcribed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Daniel Ash View Post
    What's more, the Google app has some fit and finish issues: the Add Contact button on the dialer doesn't work, for example.
    It works. Just a little different than would maybe it should. Just type in a number and THEN hit the add contact button. You should know that Google wouldn't release something with such a glaring problem.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feng303 View Post
    obviously its not voip. cmon guys. in any case, the actual app sucks. i have a ton of text messages in my google voice and it is soooo slow in loading. they need to majoring work on this for it to be usable.
    Just think how nice it would be by now had it not been for Apple shenanigans.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I searched the member written news section and didn't see YOU post anything about it so you have no room to talk. Troll.

I just went back and read your last 50 posts or so and you have not contributed anything to this forum so you have no room to criticize either. Troll.
    You guys can have the news hit you in the face and still take forever to post them.

Me, yesterday on Chit Chat
    Official Google Voice app is out. Guessing someone here will eventually pick up on it and the article will show up tomorrow once everyone already has it.
    I also bumped the previous "Google Voice App Approved?" Thread. The OTHER GV thread was bumped as well. To say people didn't try to make awareness of it is ridiculous.

Another obvious omission from the MMI Spotlight is The SMS Google Voice Extension. It hijacks the default Messages.app and re-directs Google Texting through it. So you get the full functionality of iPhone texting (aka BiteSMS) without paying for a single cent because all texting now goes through Google Voice. If you do ANY texting through Google Voice, this should be mandatory.

Last but not least, GOOGLE VOICE IS NOT A VOIP SERVICE (yet). Yes, they bought Gizmo5. They, you can VOIP through Gmail but that's it. The bulk of what Google Voice is lies in the 1 phone to rule them all. You can associate cell phones, work phones, land lines to your GV number and only need to give out that one number and answer it anywhere you choose.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 11-17-2010 at 02:39 PM.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

NessLookAlike (11-17-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Game over Kovacs!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs down Google Voice App Lacks
    While this new native app from Google is a good "first version", the existing "GV Connect" app does quite a bit more. I've been using that app for a couple of months now. I'll use both for now to see if I can get used to Google's new app.

IMHO, it's easier to type in text messages with "GV Connect" because sometimes, the Google Voice app only displays one line of the text message upon input, which is very difficult to read. Also, the Google Voice app doesn't display the number of characters left in a text message (160).

As someone else posted earlier, it's not intuitive to add a contact from the dialer.

It's little things like this that you would think Google would have researched by looking at their competitors.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

@ HappyNoodle: Do a search on Google News and see how many tech blogs (including the WSJ, PC World, Yahoo Tech, Wired) didn't write the story until this morning or later. I found at least a dozen reputable sources. People act like it's the end of the world if we don't have something on the front page within an hour of it breaking. Calm down and remember that we all have lives and are not employed by news companies.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Kruejl (11-17-2010), turkey26 (11-18-2010)

Thanks

@ HappyNoodle: Do a search on Google News and see how many tech blogs (including the WSJ, PC World, Yahoo Tech, Wired) didn't write the story until this morning or later. I found at least a dozen reputable sources. People act like it's the end of the world if we don't have something on the front page within an hour of it breaking. Calm down and remember that we all have lives and are not employed by news companies.
    Well said.
    Apples taste good.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

People act like it's the end of the world if we don't have something on the front page within an hour of it breaking. Calm down and remember that we all have lives and are not employed by news companies.
    This is going to make me have to rethink what the purpose of ModMyI even is for me.

I was under the impression that ModMyI was a site that filtered in information from other tech blog sites about Apple and iDevices and included a jailbreak spin on the stories on regular occasion. But I also expected that the staff checked for news updates around the internet at least once in the morning and once at night and made a quick post about it if there was something important to cover.

I guess the MMi staffers don't check as frequently as I thought? I mean, the caption at the top of the page, "We're constantly adding to and improving the site. Check back often!" kinda suggests to me you guys at least try to keep up with news as it comes out.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NessLookAlike For This Useful Post:

gthugballin (11-17-2010), Happy Noodle Boy (11-17-2010)

Thanks

So what you're saying is we could have had this scoop before them but didn't?

But seriously, if you're reading this thread and have Google Voice and an iPhone, get the SMS GV Extension. I can't repeat enough how awesome it is. BiteSMS + Google Voice, must I go on?
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 11-17-2010 at 04:28 PM.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

it doesn't support iPod touch

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Well looks like I'm the only one who actually likes the official google voice app. its simple, too the point and has 'push' woo hoooo!!!

going to take a peek at this sms plugin thingy thoo,

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Did somebody knows why google does not make this app available for Puerto Rico, USA.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mamerto View Post
    Did somebody knows why google does not make this app available for Puerto Rico, USA.
    Last I checked, Puerto Rico is not part of the US. I should know, I'm Puerto Rican.

Serious Post - Google isn't like AT&T or other service providers which clump PR with the rest of the states.

Quote Originally Posted by juggz143 View Post
    Well looks like I'm the only one who actually likes the official google voice app. its simple, too the point and has 'push' woo hoooo!!!

going to take a peek at this sms plugin thingy thoo,
    Pro tip: The official app creates dialing "shortcuts". So the number it uses to dial out is unique to the particular contact you chose. For example, you use the GV App to call out a friend. It'll dial out a 406 or some other funky area code and your friend will see an incoming call from your GV number.

If you get that number and redial it, it'll always call your friend. Where am I getting with this? SAVE THAT NUMBER! Now you can directly call your friend using Google Voice without using the Google Voice app.

So if you're like me and has a bluetooth headset, you can store the numbers GV uses (I put them under assisstant) and use that to call them. So I can go "Call friend assistant" using Voice Control and call via Google Voice without me having to use my phone at all.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 11-17-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

This free right.....
    I hate the fake one and $2.99...
    Last edited by romeo_herman; 11-17-2010 at 06:18 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gthugballin View Post
    this just in

Modmyi.com finally realizing that the google voice app is on the app store.

happend yesterday my friends
    Official Google Voice for iPhone hits iTunes App Store | TiPb
    ohh wow it was posted yesterday. Big deal. get over yourself.

Thanks

[/QUOTE]I just went back and read your last 50 posts or so and you have not contributed anything to this forum so you have no room to criticize either. Troll.[/QUOTE]

lol you went back and read my last 50 post, it would be funny if i actually cared. so good for you buddy let me clap :clap clap:

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    ohh wow it was posted yesterday. Big deal. get over yourself.
    i dont wanna
    Last edited by gthugballin; 11-17-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default mobile to mobile?
    I get that it uses your minutes, but I'm wondering if when I call out from my google number to another att user's number does it still use my mobile to mobile minutes?

Likewise, if I call out from my google number to another att user but calling their google number?

Anyone?

Thanks

I just went back and read your last 50 posts or so and you have not contributed anything to this forum so you have no room to criticize either. Troll.[/QUOTE]

lol you went back and read my last 50 post, it would be funny if i actually cared. so good for you buddy let me clap :clap clap:

i dont wanna[/QUOTE]
    you should care. He's a super moderator. that means you piss him off, and you're done.

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    I just went back and read your last 50 posts or so and you have not contributed anything to this forum so you have no room to criticize either. Troll.

i dont wanna[/QUOTE]
    you should care. He's a super moderator. that means you piss him off, and you're done.[/QUOTE]

lol, oh boy am i scared.
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.