+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Researchers Use iPhone to Study Happiness

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Researchers Use iPhone to Study Happiness

A pair of Harvard researchers have used an iPhone app to track the moods of thousands of participants in a study about happiness. Querying over two thousand iPhone users at random points in the day, the psychologists found people are happiest when they are focused on what they're doing than when they are spacing out, even if they are having pleasant thoughts.

The researchers knew that studying people's states of mind during their normal lives would be difficult and problematic. Calling people several times a day would be extremely time consuming as well as counter-productive: most people would probably report less happiness after being bothered by phone calls asking if they were happy. So Harvard doctoral student Matthew Killingsworth and psychology professor Daniel Gilbert set up TrackYourHappiness.org to contact 2,250 iPhone users, ages 18 to 88, at random times of day and ask three simple questions: "How are you feeling right now?" "What are you doing right now?" and "Are you currently thinking about something other than what you're currently doing?"

The study, which was published today in the journal Science, showed that 46.9 percent of the time people's minds were wandering when they were contacted, and at least 30% of the time when they were doing anything other than engaging in sexual activity. What's more, people reported that they were less happy when spacing out than when they're engaged in whatever they were doing, even if the thoughts were nice and the work was unpleasant or dull. This is consistent with what the incredibly difficult-to-spell psychologist Mihály Csíkszentmihályi refers to as flow: a "mental state of operation in which a person in an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and success in the process of the activity" which is said to bring on "spontaneous joy, even rapture, while performing a task."

The study is part of a much larger ongoing project at Harvard to "investigate what makes life worth living." To participate and get your own personalized "happiness report," you can go to www.trackyourhappiness.org.

Source: Boston Globe

Thanks

I'm happy! :-)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

So I should write an article about how I track how many times I get pissed off while Im at work, see if I can get a study of all my coworkers...and use my iPhone to track the whole thing. BRILLIANT.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is reaching meme proportions: Ramirez do everything...

iPhone does everything.

iPhone? More like MyPhone LamboFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Hahahha
    Well, iPad IS the happiest tablet computer out there!

Thanks

...Couldnt find a "better" looking picture -__-
    EDM

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeal For This Useful Post:

MaxRabbit (11-15-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    People who are 88???
    3gs iPhone 32gb-Jailbroken factory unlocked
    iPhone 4 jailbroken & factory unlocked

Thanks

That guy in the picture is just waaaay too happy to have his iPhone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Thanks

That guy in the picture just ruins my whole attitude. Maybe if i had CRAP all over my face i would look just as ****** as he looks. But that seems like a good way to do the study vs calling people up.
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!

Thanks

What is that thing on his face (below the writing)?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wcbardwell View Post
    What is that thing on his face (below the writing)?
    It's a tracker....so it doesnt escape

Thanks

metal pimple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

im always happy when im with my iphone!
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yea take my iPhone away and see how unhappy I can get!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to YuckiestMilf For This Useful Post:

plcrules (11-15-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Daniel Ash View Post

A pair of Harvard researchers have used an iPhone app to track the moods of thousands of participants in a study about happiness. Querying over two thousand iPhone users at random points in the day, the psychologists found people are happiest when they are focused on what they're doing than when they are spacing out, even if they are having pleasant thoughts.

The researchers knew that studying people's states of mind during their normal lives would be difficult and problematic. Calling people several times a day would be extremely time consuming as well as counter-productive: most people would probably report less happiness after being bothered by phone calls asking if they were happy. So Harvard doctoral student Matthew Killingsworth and psychology professor Daniel Gilbert set up TrackYourHappiness.org to contact 2,250 iPhone users, ages 18 to 88, at random times of day and ask three simple questions: "How are you feeling right now?" "What are you doing right now?" and "Are you currently thinking about something other than what you're currently doing?"

The study, which was published today in the journal Science, showed that 46.9 percent of the time people's minds were wandering when they were contacted, and at least 30% of the time when they were doing anything other than engaging in sexual activity. What's more, people reported that they were less happy when spacing out than when they're engaged in whatever they were doing, even if the thoughts were nice and the work was unpleasant or dull. This is consistent with what the incredibly difficult-to-spell psychologist Mihály Csíkszentmihályi refers to as flow: a "mental state of operation in which a person in an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and success in the process of the activity" which is said to bring on "spontaneous joy, even rapture, while performing a task."

The study is part of a much larger ongoing project at Harvard to "investigate what makes life worth living." To participate and get your own personalized "happiness report," you can go to www.trackyourhappiness.org.

Source: Boston Globe
    Okay.................

And............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............

.................................................. .................................................. ..............................

Thanks

Well i like my ipad n iphone4 !!!  they my two best freinds!! Haha

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CX3NT3_713 For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (11-16-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Okay.................

And............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............

.................................................. .................................................. ..............................
    OMFG, X[] DONT QUOTE AN ENTIRE NEWS ARTICLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And on the article, thats pretty useful.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    OMFG, X[] DONT QUOTE AN ENTIRE NEWS ARTICLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just so the guy above me didn't think I was responding to him.

Get over it!

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Forget about studying happiness. iPhone 4 IS happiness.