+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Invalid iPhone Patents Get Apple Involved in Another Lawsuit

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you're not shocked that Apple is on the receiving end of another lawsuit, you're not alone. For as long as anyone can remember, the folks in Cupertino have been
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Invalid iPhone Patents Get Apple Involved in Another Lawsuit

If you're not shocked that Apple is on the receiving end of another lawsuit, you're not alone. For as long as anyone can remember, the folks in Cupertino have been swatting at lawsuits like a swarm of mosquitoes buzzing around their heads. The latest legal news, however, has Apple taking fire from some within the world's largest mobile community.

If you're not well-versed in Chinese law, here's what you need to know to understand the situation in which Apple now finds itself. Chinese law dictates that it's only possible to apply for "product-specific patents." In other words, if you obtain a blanket patent for a variety of products, the Chinese will not recognize the patent and it will effectively be rendered "invalid."

Chinese-based Herron Network Information Co. has filed suit against Apple along with the Chinese Patent Bureau regarding Apple's blanket patents. According to MeizuMe: "Apple filed a patent covering three products. When the Patent Bureau saw that Apple did not specify what product the patent was for, they helped Apple register the patent for their mobile phone." The patent, however, simply pointed to a simple mobile device design with rounded edges, vertical display, and round master control button.

Apple product knock-off makers will be paying very close attention to the outcome of this latest legal skirmish as the black market for fake or cloned Apple products has become a booming business. If Apple's patent is, indeed, deemed "invalid," it could open up the floodgates for "similar" products in China.

MeizuMe

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Buffolus (11-14-2010), reaves205 (11-14-2010)

Thanks

I knew Apple's patents were always too vague.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple will be involved in one lawsuit or anither till they eventually take over the world and then probably get sued for that. And the t-800 will become lawyers

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calebratm For This Useful Post:

Aldog18 (11-14-2010), AnthonyGiola (11-14-2010)

Undisputed Theme Champ AnthonyGiola's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calebratm View Post
    Apple will be involved in one lawsuit or anither till they eventually take over the world and then probably get sued for that. And the t-800 will become lawyers
    Its an invalid point to sue when you know you will go to court where t-800's will blow your head off...

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post

If you're not well-versed in Chinese law, here's what you need to know to understand the situation in which Apple now finds itself. Chinese law dictates that it's only possible to apply for "product-specific patents." In other words, if you obtain a blanket patent for a variety of products, the Chinese will not recognize the patent and it will effectively be rendered "invalid."
    So when is US law going to become something like this? I never thought I would say this on China and their laws, but they completely have us beat on this one. Allowing "blanket" patents in our current system is a load of bull and I think everyone (including the people abusing the system in this way) knows it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

BSmith (11-15-2010), dsg (11-14-2010), Snozberries (11-15-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calebratm View Post
    Lol they will just start suing each other

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol. And then eventually Apple will start suing itself.

btw that pic would be awesome for lawyers or judges who are also Apple Fans.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5h4d0w's Avatar
    Thanks

Who cares what China, or any other country, says. It's an American Patent, so the Chinese have no say in whether or not it's valid.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I don't believe that the ramifications of the invalidity of Apple's patent in China worry anyone in terms of sales within the US. The Chinese law will not be adopted there. However if Apple's patent is invalid in China then they will no longer be the only ones selling iPhones eventually. That is the issue, not the Chinese changing US law.

I have felt too reading about Apple's patents in the past that they seem to patent ideas, and potential ways of doing things, which seems like it is a monopoly promoting tendency within US law.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Except when it comes to Chinese people creating Chinese products in China. Then China has absolute right to question patents. The world doesn't revolve around the U.S. It revolves around the Sun.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

Aldog18 (11-14-2010), BennyPR (11-14-2010), dsg (11-14-2010), manickbarry (11-14-2010), rocky5 (11-15-2010)

Thanks
    The world doesn't revolve around the U.S. It revolves around the Sun.[/QUOTE]

Tell the USA that!!

Joffa

16. The Following User Says Thank You to joffa For This Useful Post:

BrisingrSverdar (11-16-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Typical. The Chinese government lured tech companies in and once there all promises of respecting intellectual property went out the window. This is how China has managed to grow their economy, only by stealing ideas from the West. When will China's own scientists start creating something original?
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

When will the U.S. put its foot down and make people actually manufacture goods in the States again? It is time to see more 'Made in the USA' stickers on products.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

5h4d0w (11-14-2010), BennyPR (11-14-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

That's rite my fellow Chinese. Please Su them. Cause you the Chinese people are the perfect one an the fittest. To go against napple. An o it to u the maker.

It's about time someone teach apple a leson to learn. Just think you can get away on every thing. An that's what they get for taking jobs an factory to other country to slave these poor people.
    Last edited by Buffolus; 11-14-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Buffolus For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (11-14-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone priezti's Avatar
    Thanks

its like filing a patent for a car that has four wheels and an engine

Thanks

China isn't the only place, I'm pretty sure that patents can only cover a certain sector almost everywhere
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Who would wanna knock off pile anyway they look feel a run like ****

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lordz View Post
    Who would wanna knock off pile anyway they look feel a run like ****
    Coherence? Overrated.

On the subject, does it even matter if they dismiss a patent in China? Don't they make copies of everything regardless if it's patented or not?
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The reason why you don't patent specific products and you patent a "blanket" of products is because you don't want people stealing your ideas with minor tweakings. The term "blanket" in this article here is actually kind of misleading because you aren't really "blanketing a patent" in the sense that you aren't applying the patent as protection for something that the patent does not explicitly and specifically protect. In China, the patent laws are actually pretty unfair and unenforced, although at first glance it may not seem that way.

For example, imagine you're a company that has made an awesome product with completely original technology and style. According to Chinese law, you can take that product, change the color a little bit, tweak some features, and add a pencil holder, and all of a sudden you can start selling the product you stole as your own. This isn't a very accurate example, but it gives you the gist

that isn't to say though, that apple or most companies for that matter don't strategically "borrow" ideas and strategically overextrapolate patents.

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't understand why China sued apple, what I know products of apple are Assembled in China.....