+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Gorillaz Album Being Made on iPad

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
In a potential knockout blow to the naysayers who have slammed the iPad as just a "content-consumption device," Gorillaz frontman Damon Albarn says he's been using his iPad to create
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New Gorillaz Album Being Made on iPad

In a potential knockout blow to the naysayers who have slammed the iPad as just a "content-consumption device," Gorillaz frontman Damon Albarn says he's been using his iPad to create the next album for the cartoon supergroup. The self-described "technophobe and Luddite" Albarn says the album will be ready in time for Christmas.

The closed nature of the iPad and the difficulty in printing or transferring files without a jailbreak has led many a pundit to conclude that iPads just are not any good for content creation. However, this has been proved wrong time and time again, with people using iPads for everything from writing to photo editing to DJing. While there are clearly many things better and more easily done on a notebook or desktop computer, the ease of mobility makes the iPad stand out for people with limited space and travelers.

Damon Albarn created Gorillaz in 1998 when he was living with Jamie Hewlett, the artist behind Tank Girl. Intended as a commentary on MTV culture, the "band" is made up of Hewlett's cartoon characters playing music by Albarn and various other musicians. Albarn spent the last few months on tour fronting a live band with half of the members of the Clash: guitarist Mick Jones and bassist Paul Simonon. In an interview with NME, he revealed that he's been using his new iPad to work on "a studio album made in hotel rooms across America" while on tour. "I've made it on an iPad," he said. "I hope I'll be making the first record on an iPad." Calling himself a "technophobe and Luddite," he nevertheless says he "fell in love with my iPad as soon as I got it," and "made a completely different kind of record." Albarn, who's also the lead singer for the Britpop band Blur, says the new Gorillaz album will be "more American-sounding than Blur... like an English voice that has been put through the vocoder of America."

Albarn says he plans to complete the album, which will be the band's fourth, by Christmas. The third Gorillaz album Plastic Beach was just released in March, five years after Demon Days which featured the hit "Feel Good, Inc." Amusingly, Albarn's public embrace of the iPad comes at the same time that Microsoft is using Gorillaz for heavy marketing for Internet Explorer 9.

Source: Electronista

Thanks

Lol that's cool! I'm making some singles now using pianist pro and logic.

Thanks

Nice, I love the Gorillaz
    "We don't need bullets, We need Pie's"

Thanks

I love gorillaz, this is going to be promising!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wonder what apps were used for this?

iPhone? More like MyPhone cookbenj's Avatar
    Thanks

meh... the last album from gorillaz was awful
    dont you hate it when someones signature looks like someones post?

what a game

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cookbenj For This Useful Post:

Forgoten Dynasty (11-13-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Anyone who believes this doesn't know anything about music. This is clearly just publicity.
    For **** sakes you mods are amateurs! Why are you trashing my scene!!! Seriously you and me we're done professionally.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Bale View Post
    Anyone who believes this doesn't know anything about music. This is clearly just publicity.
    Publicity for who? Apple or the Gorillaz? And how is this publicity? I don't know about anyone else here but I'm not likely to buy something just because it was created on an iPad! I'm not a big Gorillaz fan but why is it that someone always cries publicity stunt when somebody tries something new and different? Hell if I were a musician I would probably give that a shot too, I mean it would be kinda cool to produce an entire album on just an iPad! Just my 2....

Thanks

I been working on an album totally created on the iPad it's hard but here are some apps that I use. BeatMaker. Xewton studio. IRig. Nano Studio. StudioTrack. Rebirth 4 iPad there are too many to mention.

h2a
    Thanks

I just spent 4 years getting a music degree and I write and produce electronic music. I think this is fun and creative. People who think that trying things like this means you don't know anything about music probably put music in the same pompous little box all the people I went to school with did.
    Last edited by h2a; 11-13-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Missing a word

Thanks

Hopefully it'll be better than their last album, I hope for something like feel good Inc or clint eastwood
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

Feel good Inc was very good the previous one I liked a select few like
    Stylo but can't wait to hear this if this album becomes a flop its gonna be ver convenient for the haters
    To blame apple

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

PM me if u think my sigs nice

Thanks

Wait the whole thing? Hmm I don't know.... They might be able to do it with all the apps, but I'd think you'd still need some professional software.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

While cool, for the type of music they produce, this really isn't a huge feat...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

Rob2G (11-13-2010)

h2a
    Thanks

I think most importantly, we should ask:

Does it feature T-Pain or weezy? Because let's be honest, nobody buys music that doesn't feat. Pain or da Carter.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cookbenj View Post
    meh... the last album from gorillaz was awful
    +1

Thanks

as a career musician, i'd say anyone who limits the ways in which one can create clearly doesn't know anything about music. just sayin....

yes, this may be intended to publicize the ipad or the new gorillaz album, but you're first sentence is totally unfounded.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AAAARRRRRRGGGGG For This Useful Post:

h2a (11-13-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    While cool, for the type of music they produce, this really isn't a huge feat...
    I agree with you there.
    [SIGPIC]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h2a View Post
    I think most importantly, we should ask:

Does it feature T-Pain or weezy? Because let's be honest, nobody buys music that doesn't feat. Pain or da Carter.
    And who is Pain and da Carter!? I know who they are but 90% of my city doesnt know who they are. So Justin Bieber and Lady GaGa needs to feat. famous stars to become great and people will buy their albums?

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Technophobe and in an electronic music band. Am I the only one reading this and thinking this douche is utterly full of ****?
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.