+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4.2 Delayed to 11/16, Possibly Longer

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Reports are coming in from multiple sources saying that the iOS 4.2 release has been pushed back to next Tuesday . The problem, which has already been spotted by a
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iOS 4.2 Delayed to 11/16, Possibly Longer

Reports are coming in from multiple sources saying that the iOS 4.2 release has been pushed back to next Tuesday. The problem, which has already been spotted by a number of beta testers, is a bug preventing iPads from making stable WiFi connections. Though MacStories, among others, suggests that the bug may take up to two weeks to fix, one Greek blogger with a good track record of success pegs the release date as November 16.

The issue reportedly only affects iPads, though I've heard of one iPhone 4 user with the same complaint; my iPhone 3G actually works really well. Most commonly it manifests as [ame=http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1042331]a WiFi connection that's available very briefly[/ame] (one to three minutes) and then cuts out. For some users resetting Network Settings works to restore it, more commonly it requires multiple Settings resets (up to five times) to get WiFi working again. For some users, WiFi doesn't work at all and none of the workarounds are effective.

Reports developing through the week had iOS 4.2 dropping today, closely following the release of Mac OS X 10.6.5 earlier in the week. The two updates were thought to be synchronized to provide access to Mac shared printers through AirPrint, but Mac OS X support for AirPrint was pulled at the last minute. While some sources have iOS 4.2 on hold for as much as two weeks so that Apple can "vigorously" test the bug fix, iPhoneHellas blogger Vasilis Ananiadis - who accurately predicted the releases of iPhone OS 2.2 and iOS 4.0.1 - claims it will be released on Tuesday.

It's unclear why this bug emerged so late in the development cycle. It's possible that there's a conflict with some component - such as AirPrint - which uses the network stack, or that it's just a rare corner case that wasn't seen until iOS 4.2 went gold master and was more widely used. Whatever the reason, you can probably hold off on clicking the "Check for Updates" button today.

Source: MacRumors

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (11-12-2010)

Thanks

Nice, fix it before shipping it to me
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thanks

Booo!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ghey? Yes
    Upsetting? Noep!

Thanks

come on, release already i want an unlock for my iphone 4... yes i know all that pwnagetool stuff but yet, im waiting for 4.2

Thanks

I've been patiently waiting on 4.2 for my Ipad and this ish sucks. Get it together APPLE!!!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

I know the Dev Team never disappoints, but I've just received an iPhone 4 and it came with 4.1 and the newest base band, until an unlock is released, I just have an expensive iPod Touch. Please release the unlock before 4.2, I dont care if its Ultrasn0w or Limesn0w but I need it now
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

Thanks

I was looking forward to the official 4.2 being released today. Looks like I might have to use the GM that's already floating around.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Lame but I am glad they are fixing it before releasing cuz I have a wifi only iPad and it would erk me to not be able to connectto wifi or mywi so fix it already!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I hope this isn't true. I need my 4.1 unlocked!!!

Thanks

I've seen the rumours that it would drop today but did anyone seriously believe them?
    FW is released on Tuesdays. the 16th was always going to be the date, I'm really unsure how the rumour of today was started.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Please noooo!!!!

I need my iphone 4 4.1 unlocked... Please someone.. HELP!!! It's killing me not being able to use

iPhone? More like MyPhone brbortscheller's Avatar
    Thanks

I've waited for this for a long time and now it's delayed. fudge muffin!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

At least they are taking the time to polish it. Look at all of the issues with most of the past firmwares...measure twice, cut once.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by _ASH_ View Post
    Please noooo!!!!

I need my iphone 4 4.1 unlocked... Please someone.. HELP!!! It's killing me not being able to use
    Why did you buy a phone that can't be unlocked?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

thats too bad, I thought this was supposed to be the "golden master" beta of iOS 4.2

Thanks

Why is this considered a "delay" when the listing today as a release was never more then complete speculation to begin with?

Let's all get mad at Apple for missing a release date they never announced or even in the slightest way committed too!

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ClerkDante For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (11-12-2010), Funked (11-12-2010), Poseidon79 (11-12-2010), scottjl (11-12-2010), StevenB (11-12-2010), tsatryan (11-12-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Why did you buy a phone that can't be unlocked?
    Because it is shiny. Oooooh-Ahhhh

Thanks

What a bunch of whining. People who buy phones that won't work with their carriers, people complaining that Apple is dragging their feet on the release, people just complaining. I'm glad I wasn't your parent at Christmas time, how miserable you all must have been in the run-up to the 25th. And after you opened your presents.

Seriously, if Apple HAD released this OS as is, imagine the complaints from the same people: WiFi doesn't work!! Apple sucks for releasing this without test/fixing it!. This is "ghey!" (Where did THAT one come from?)

How about everyone just try to act like adults for a change, think before you post, consider what your words sound like to other, more sentient creatures? OK?
    Senior

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mr117 For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (11-12-2010), Doran (11-12-2010), johnee (11-12-2010), Poseidon79 (11-12-2010), tsatryan (11-12-2010), VaderForce (11-14-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

considering theres not really any major upgrade in this update its no big deal for it to be delayed for me. i dont need an unlock although i will take it so my phones worth a bit more when i go to sale it right before iphone5 or iphone4HD+. rather they fix it before release then release it and have millions upon millions of complaining

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast