+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Study: iPhone 4 Most Reliable, Just Don't Drop It

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
According to a recent research survey, iPhone 4s are the most reliable smartphones, while still being the most prone to accidental damage. Third-party warranty provider SquareTrade looked at their SquareTrade
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Study: iPhone 4 Most Reliable, Just Don't Drop It

According to a recent research survey, iPhone 4s are the most reliable smartphones, while still being the most prone to accidental damage. Third-party warranty provider SquareTrade looked at their SquareTrade Care Plan database and analyzed failure rates of over 50,000 smart phones covered by the company's Care Plans, finding that the iPhone 4 had the least malfunctions but was the most susceptible to accidents. The study also showed that all manufacturers improved their failure rate since the first such study in 2008.

SquareTrade looked at four months of iPhone 4 warranty claims, eight months of claims from Motorola and HTC owners, and a year of iPhone 3GS claims, then extrapolated a 12-month failure rate - excluding accidental damage - for all devices. The iPhone 4 device was the most reliable with only 2.1% of the owners reporting a malfunction, followed closely by iPhone 3GS and Motorola with 2.3%. HTC's projected one-year failure rate was pegged at 3.7% and Blackberry's at 6.3%.

However, malfunctions only tell part of the story. "Accidental damage is responsible for over 75% of smart phone failures," the report notes. And the metrics for damage are almost perfectly inverted when compared to failure rate: BlackBerrys are the most rugged with only 6.7% suffering an accident in the first 12 months, and the iPhone 4 - with a projected 9.4% suffering damage after a year - is the most fragile.

Both manufacturers have made their devices more reliable since SquareTrade did its first study in November 2008. In that study, 11.9% of BlackBerrys and 5.6% of iPhone 3Gs failed due to malfunction in the first year. So Apple improved its failure rate by 62% with the last two models, and RIM reduced its incidence of malfunctions by 47%.

Source: MacRumors

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (11-10-2010), reaves205 (11-11-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

I knew it! The Blackberry really is just a cheap POS! lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    I knew it! The Blackberry really is just a cheap POS! lol
    Blackberry, you mean Gayberry...lol
    iPhone 4 4.2.1 Untethered

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

really? a 4% diffrence isnt that huge

Green Apple
    Thanks

There is a survey about a survey that says surveys are a waste of time.

Thanks

"Accidental damage is responsible for over 75% of smart phone failures,"
    And the other 25% is just people getting pissed and chucking their phone at the wall?

Thanks

Default iPhone 4 Warranty
    I just switched from T-Mobile with my 1st gen iPhone to AT&T with the iPhone 4. After reading about the glass breaking on the iPhone 4, and seeing how beat up my 1st gen iPhone got after 3 years, I decided to purchase a Square Trade warranty.

Think about it, they cover DROPPED PHONES and broken glass that isn't covered in Apple's warranty. To purchase a new iPhone through AT&T out of contract is $400 more than the renewal price. In my book $97 (or $5.99 a month.... the other payment option) is a fantastic deal for a 2 year warranty that covers everything.

I will still take care of my phone, but knowing that I have it covered until my contract is up gives me a piece of mind. And think about it. I would shell out at least $200 more for a new phone, plus $400 more if I got it out of contract. For a measly $6, I'm covered if anything happens. And think about it, how many times do you spend $6 a week on something totally stupid? Or you could pay the $100 up front and save about $50 over 2 years.

Either way, it's a safe bet in my book. I've used Square Trade in the past with a Palm Pilot that I purchased of eBay. They protected me and were able to help fix my problem.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The study isnt exactly fair considering that the iphone 4 hasn't even been out for 12 months....

Motorola... HTC... Blackburry... Why isn't iphone 3GS and 4 just Apple iphone? What happened to 3G and 2G?

Alarming how things like this can even be considered serious.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Sqtuaretrade rocks. Had accidental coverage on both my wife and my 3GS month ago my son decided to throw it in the toilet. Got a refurbished iPhone in 2 days and still have enough coverage left over for another claim. Thanks squaretrade!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me gdd2010's Avatar
    in a barred spiral galaxy on the Cepheus-Draco border
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by milkycloud View Post
    The study isnt exactly fair considering that the iphone 4 hasn't even been out for 12 months....

Motorola... HTC... Blackburry... Why isn't iphone 3GS and 4 just Apple iphone? What happened to 3G and 2G?

Alarming how things like this can even be considered serious.
    The post states "extrapolated a 12 month failure rate.". You really only need 4 months to get that and even then the numbers will be higher as failures (software-wise) are fixed later than that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

All statistics are skewed in some way shape or form.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg05 View Post
    all statistics are skewed in some way shape or form.
    this

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trigun989 View Post
    It really isn't

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lurpticon View Post
    Blackberry, you mean Gayberry...lol
    You mean the Crackberry! Haha

Sent from my iPhone 4 using ModMyi
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

blackberries are for gays! HTC are for Hypercritical Teenage crooks(except the mytouch 4g!!)and Motorola.....it just sucks!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    Sqtuaretrade rocks. Had accidental coverage on both my wife and my 3GS month ago my son decided to throw it in the toilet. Got a refurbished iPhone in 2 days and still have enough coverage left over for another claim. Thanks squaretrade!!
    So, if you drop your wife Squaretrade will replace her, no questions asked? Hmm...
    Quaerite et invenietis.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ha! I've dropped my iPhone 4 HUNDREDS of times without a case! Every time, I've picked it up, completely expecting a crack but it's always been perfectly fine! Hell, it's still in pretty good condition!(:

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

50 dollar deductible and multiple options. My iPhone 16 gb 3GS 2 year warranty cost around 90 bucks and it covered up to $399 bucks. I could have had the full amount refunded to me (399) but I opted to get the iphone refurbish replacement plan because if you do the full refund you don't have any coverage left. And have to buy a new warranty if i were to buy a new iPhone say off of bay. So the refurbished phone used only part of my of my warranty coverage plan so i still have $250 dollars left on the refurbished phone warranty. You can file claims online or you can call them if you want different options. Simply awesome. You can also put in thirty30 for a promotion code at SquareTrade Warranties | Extended Warranties for 70% Less Than Retail | Electronics Insurance Alternative or google a new code if that does not work for 30%. Off your warranty cost.

I meant my wife's 3GS and mine smartass
    Last edited by vantheman169; 11-10-2010 at 11:31 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trigun989 View Post
    depends on the sample size really

smartphones are like babies, their is just no excuse to drop one, you pay so much for them and monthly that it should be one of high priority items that you take care of.
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

From someone who has broken a 3G 8 times in 2 years, I'm still on my first iPhone 4. I have the hard plastic shell from Belkin that apple sent free and it's been really durable from dropping it.