+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Owners Have Highest Credit Card Balances

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
iPhone owners carry higher balances on their credit cards than Android, Blackberry, and Windows Mobile users, according to an analysis by a mobile financial service provider . Pageonce published data
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone Owners Have Highest Credit Card Balances

iPhone owners carry higher balances on their credit cards than Android, Blackberry, and Windows Mobile users, according to an analysis by a mobile financial service provider. Pageonce published data today showing that, on average, iPhone users have a 35% higher balance on their monthly credit card statement than the average Windows Mobile user. However, the average monthly phone bill was lower for iPhone users than for any other smartphone.

The Pageonce app monitors users' cash flow, spending and bills and organizes account information and transactions. The company used data from 275,000 of its three users - including at least 5,000 users for each mobile platform - to look at how owners of different smartphones compare. The average monthly credit card bill of iPhone users was $6,872, compared to $5,693 for BlackBerry users, $5,330 for Android users and $5,076 for Windows Mobile. These numbers reflect the total amount on the statements, including the current month's charges, current month's payments received, carried balance, fees and charges. And it's worth noting that this is not a representative sample, but an analysis of people whose finances are so complicated that they use an app to keep track of them.

Even Pageonce seemed puzzled by the results. "My first reaction was... this might mean that iPhone users have more debt," Pageonce COO Steve Schultz wrote on the company's blog. "It could also mean iPhone users simply run more expenses through their cards. Or maybe Android users are more conservative about using credit? Whatever the reason, I'm betting credit card companies would like to get their hands on more iPhone users."

Interestingly, it's not the cost of a monthly service plan that drives iPhone owners' balances up. The average Windows Mobile user has a 24.5% higher wireless bill than the average iPhone user, spending $205.33 a month. Android and Blackberry users were not far behind at $196.94 and $194.35, respectively, with iPhone users spending the least at $164.91 a month.

Source: Cult of Mac

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    wow 5000
    Last edited by bbenson94; 11-09-2010 at 03:09 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The high balances across the board are what surprised me the most! Over $5,000 in revolving credit card debt is not good for your credit score!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

zoblue (11-09-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Credit Card Debt is not good.. I understand it's good to have one for emergencies but Seriously 5k + in debt is no joke.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I guess I break the mold on this one because I'm debt free and I own an iPhone. If I don't have the money for it, I don't buy it. Keeping up with the Jones' will get you into more trouble than what it's worth.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Doran's Avatar
    Thanks

Uh..... I don't have a credit card....

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I always pay off my credit cards every month, usually around $1200 worth. But then I do not use it that much.

Thanks

I think the question that should be on everyone's mind here, is how are they acquiring this "Data"? Sound's like invasion of privacy to me.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Daniel Ash View Post
    ... The company used data from 275,000 of its three users ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Daniel Ash View Post
    ... this is not a representative sample ...
    Hmm. How how many does it take to be a representative sample?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

stats indicate that iphone owners also get laid more often.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NumbaOneI For This Useful Post:

aidanski (11-10-2010), hornet18 (11-09-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

No debt and iPhone 4 purchased out right (no contract) I just save up for stuff
    And don't smoke or drink so have loads left over
    Last edited by rocky5; 11-09-2010 at 04:29 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

How are they allowed to publish this data? I have the pageonce app and I have never been asked about using my data even if there isn't anything attached to it as far as my personal information. I'll have to read the terms again but either way this data may not be all that accurate because those iPhone owners could also have higher disposable income that the other groups.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lungho View Post
    I guess I break the mold on this one because I'm debt free and I own an iPhone. If I don't have the money for it, I don't buy it. Keeping up with the Jones' will get you into more trouble than what it's worth.
    same to me i got an iphone but no credit,hell i dont even own a creditcrad lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, I own an iPhone but have T-Mo, and no credit card debt. So, I guess....I don't know, lost my train of thought....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    ... Hmm. How how many does it take to be a representative sample?
    RTA much?

It's not representative because everyone in their sample is using their budgeting / cash flow app. These people are likely to have higher salaries and more debt than the average pleb you see in KFC
    To live, you have to lie

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NumbaOneI View Post

stats indicate that iphone owners also get laid more often.
    lol.. Yeah these stupid surveys are getting out of hand. What's next, a chart showing that more iphone users support the war on terror?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I wonder if they're considering debit/bank check card balances as credit balances. That would explain a lot of the higher balances, because I would hope that the average person has at least $1,000 saved for emergencies.

Credit cards are unhealthy and unfairly used to determine credit scores. You'd be amazed at how hard it is to get a loan when all you borrow money for is a car!! I was told by one bank that I wouldn't qualify for even a $10,000 car... "You have no credit card history, so we view that as high risk."

WTF?!? I'm high risk? Because I choose to be responsible???

No wonder the banks needed bailouts. Reverse logic that can only be provided by people who enter the financial career track after college with ZERO real world experience.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    The high balances across the board are what surprised me the most! Over $5,000 in revolving credit card debt is not good for your credit score!!
    I know man, probably from them trying to keep buying the latest apple products
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LSZ33 View Post
    I think the question that should be on everyone's mind here, is how are they acquiring this "Data"? Sound's like invasion of privacy to me.
    They explained exactly how they got the data. Pageonce has apps available on these platforms to manage your finances. They do this by having the user add their credit card accounts to the app, then the app keeps you up to date with your bills and credit card balances.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    I wonder if they're considering debit/bank check card balances as credit balances. That would explain a lot of the higher balances, because I would hope that the average person has at least $1,000 saved for emergencies.

Credit cards are unhealthy and unfairly used to determine credit scores. You'd be amazed at how hard it is to get a loan when all you borrow money for is a car!! I was told by one bank that I wouldn't qualify for even a $10,000 car... "You have no credit card history, so we view that as high risk."

WTF?!? I'm high risk? Because I choose to be responsible???

No wonder the banks needed bailouts. Reverse logic that can only be provided by people who enter the financial career track after college with ZERO real world experience.

This is the downside of paying for everything with cash. Its a known thing that your credit score is all about how well you play with the lenders. Also there is a difference between using credit wisely and not using credit at all. Honestly if you have the mind set to PAY IN FULL every month, Cash is subpar and Credit is the way to go.

For example as a Best buy manager my wife cannot join the reward zone to be able to earn points on purchases. So we have a rewardzone master card that earns us points. We use it as our ATM card, Its paid in full every month and i just cashed in $250.00 in gift certificates to help out with Christmas(on top of the employee discount). Cash gets you NO rewards. Use credit wisely and your money works even harder for you.